News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Guided buses-O-Bahn (BRT- Bus Rapid Transit)

Started by phantom25, May 05, 2009, 05:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom25

These is also a dedicated transport hybrid bus-rail mean, which seems to get more popular recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_guided_busways_and_BRT_systems_in_the_United_Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guided_bus
http://www.citytransport.info/OBahn.htm

There is already the code for streets, the only supposedly thing would be, to reserve a new waytype code, and share part of street code, except that none city vehicles may enter (a "virtual" or real "buses-only" sign or similar)...

Real BRT in Essen uses hybrid trolley buses/diesel buses...
Once even trams and buses shared part of the track, until there was no one to manufacture (re)fited buses, only to wide were available!

Some of those even run underground.
IMHO, all the code for streets, overhead catenary (which is not mandatory), underground mode etc. already exists, only graphics and bus reserved sign (maybe only comercial traffic sign (re)usage?)

vilvoh

It's very interesting..to me, seems a mix between a tram and a bus...indeed, I considered some of these vehicles for a set of buses I've planned long time ago. imho, they should be coded as trams, so they can go over tram or train tracks. I'll try to create some graphics.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

phantom25

I plan to make the graphics for the dedicated tracks.
Albeit there are some variations for it, most is using the special 'L' type of rail for guidance track.

I cannot promise on the date of completion of the dedicated tracks graphics...

Althorough also the guided track can be used almost identically to the roads (probably also elevated!?), NO other vehicles (cars, trucks, etc.) should be allowed, except buses and electrified buses on the guidance track.
There are also guidance track bridges in the reality...

In the current behaviour, also a midle tramway track should be dissallowed, because not realistic, due to the size of guidance rails

Actually, that way almost a two-way tram code could be created, which behaves like a tram.
Only junction to rail should than be specially coded, to allow only trams to switch, in order to connect existing rail code and electrified way simutrans code... Than also mixed tram/bus/trolleybus tracks can be used.

The only preclude is, absolutely NO other individual traffic may enter this area, nor be created inside the guideway...

Real guideance trackways have some forms of traps, to only allow buses to pass...

The Hood

Surely guided bus should be coded as a bus not a tram?  Last time I checked, buses (even guided ones) couldn't run on railway lines...!!!  But having some adaptation of the road vehicle code for guided busway, so that only certain buses fitted with the right equipment can use the busway, but these buses can also use standard road, seems to make sense.

phantom25

Exactly.  ;D
For the first, this seems resonably to work this way...

In longer terms, making the possibility of the tram system to work as two-way tram, if the code would be modified at the same time... Althorough, maybe to difficult to do this... So, that trams can be coded as "guided buses", and work at the same time as now, and also that there are separate guided buses, which work as you described...

vilvoh

I was browsing japanese.simutrans.com, pak128 Road Tools section, when I found this addon. Yes, JP players have done it again!.....link

P.S: The zip file contains the sources, so It may worth to have a look at them.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

gerw

jamespetts

Hmm, a perfect use for the way constraints feature in Simutrans-Experimental ;-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

phantom25

This guideways look exactly like they should.  ;)

This is actually it.