The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Level crossings have urban speed limits in the country  (Read 288 times)

Offline Matthew

• Devotee
    • Japan Railway Journal
  • Languages: EN, some ZH, DE & SQ
Level crossings have urban speed limits in the country
« on: January 24, 2021, 04:31:40 PM »
Severity:
Medium

Steps to reproduce:
1. Find a level crossing in a savegame.
2. Use the minimap to check that it is outside the city limits and note that that it has a lower speed limit than the rest of the same road.
3. Using the Info tool, click twice to see the road status.
4. The Info window says the speed limit is 50 km/h and that "The speed is limited on account of being in a built-up area).

The example road was just upgraded to a motorway in order to understand the problem.

Expected outcome
The road either has the correct speed limit for its type or the info window does not contain misinformation.
If this is different from Standard, then it should be noted in the forum, but I don't know whether it is.

Offline Vladki

• Devotee
    • My addons, mostly roadsigns, pak128.cs
  • Languages: EN, CS
Re: Level crossings have urban speed limits in the country
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »
I think this is a bug in description, that just should be - "speed limited by crossing"

Each crossing has two speed limits - one for each waytype. The crossing can limit the top speed of both ways. I don't know the rules in UK, but i Czechoslovakia, you have to slow down to 50 km/h on rail crossing, even if outside the town where the limit is 90 km/h. Also level crossings are forbidden on tracks faster than 160 km/h (which might be the reason why we do not have higher speed tracks anyway). And if the crossing is not safeguarded by light signals (only a warning sign), then the speed limit on road is 30 km/h, and 60 km/h for trains. Anyway for pak128.britain-ex, the fastes crossing allows 50 km/h on road and 200 km/h on track.

The implementation is standard has been changed recently, and the speed limits forbid building level crossings over higher speed road/track than indicated.

Offline Vladki

• Devotee
    • My addons, mostly roadsigns, pak128.cs
  • Languages: EN, CS
Re: Level crossings have urban speed limits in the country
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 10:00:02 PM »
I see the same message "speed limited by urban area" on ship canal locks (slopes)