News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Level crossings have urban speed limits in the country

Started by Matthew, January 24, 2021, 04:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Severity:
Medium

Steps to reproduce:
1. Find a level crossing in a savegame.
2. Use the minimap to check that it is outside the city limits and note that that it has a lower speed limit than the rest of the same road.
3. Using the Info tool, click twice to see the road status.
4. The Info window says the speed limit is 50 km/h and that "The speed is limited on account of being in a built-up area).

The example road was just upgraded to a motorway in order to understand the problem.

Expected outcome
The road either has the correct speed limit for its type or the info window does not contain misinformation.
If this is different from Standard, then it should be noted in the forum, but I don't know whether it is.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Vladki

I think this is a bug in description, that just should be - "speed limited by crossing"

Each crossing has two speed limits - one for each waytype. The crossing can limit the top speed of both ways. I don't know the rules in UK, but i Czechoslovakia, you have to slow down to 50 km/h on rail crossing, even if outside the town where the limit is 90 km/h. Also level crossings are forbidden on tracks faster than 160 km/h (which might be the reason why we do not have higher speed tracks anyway). And if the crossing is not safeguarded by light signals (only a warning sign), then the speed limit on road is 30 km/h, and 60 km/h for trains. Anyway for pak128.britain-ex, the fastes crossing allows 50 km/h on road and 200 km/h on track.

The implementation is standard has been changed recently, and the speed limits forbid building level crossings over higher speed road/track than indicated.

Vladki

I see the same message "speed limited by urban area" on ship canal locks (slopes)

Ranran(retired)

This is an old specification and crossings have a maximum crossing speed for the two ways they cross, separate from the road. In general, roads will have a lower maximum speed at crossings.
The way dialog was recently updated, but I only copied the branching conditions from the old dialog, so I seem to have inherited this bug.
Indeed, this is shown as such because it does not take into account the fact that the speed is reduced by the crossing.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Ranran(retired)

I've pull-requested a fix for this - check the pull request #496. Sadly, one more translation term will be added.  (´・ω・`)
(speed_restricted_by_crossing)

jamespetts

Thank you for that: now incorporated with English translation added. Can I check whether you have added this to Simutranslator?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.