News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Private cars use degraded ways when alternatives are available

Started by Matthew, January 21, 2021, 06:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Severity:
Low
(But I thought now was a good time to report it since the private car path explorer code is fresh in the coders' minds.)

Example:

This screenshot from B-B shows private cars using a slow, degraded way. The degraded way is only used by southbound traffic. The convoy stats report 1 in 4 convoys using the degraded way.

Expected outcome:
All private cars use the faster way.

Possible cause:
This might be the anti-congestion element of the private car path explorer working as designed. Or it might just be a bug.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

freddyhayward

Private car routes are generally spread out because they are calculated for different cities at different times, so the alternative may have easily been more congested at the time. This is not really the intended outcome of the congestion mechanic but I don't know if much can be done about it without increasing the check frequency of the routes.

Ranran(retired)

I don't think this is a bug. I think it's a specification.

At least for now, even player convoys don't automatically choose faster roads.

Priority is given to routes that can go straight as long as they are passable. Because the process of searching for a route ends when the route to the first destination is found.

Ranran automatically selects different routes for going and returning. (Of course none of the roads are one-way)

This shows that the auto-determined route is neither the shortest nor the fastest.

If the player knows a detour route that can drive faster, he will usually set a waypoint there.

Expected outcome:
All private cars use the faster way.
QuoteThis is not really the intended outcome of the congestion mechanic but I don't know if much can be done about it without increasing the check frequency of the routes.
I don't know much about private car routing, but does it perform advanced processing that even player convoy does not?
I think that searching for the fastest route even though it is passable will greatly increase the processing. Because there are so many possibilities in the map that you have to check them out. Even so, I think currently private car routing has a lot of performance absorbed.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)