News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

[Crash] Game crash due to camera rotation

Started by Ranran(retired), May 25, 2021, 04:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

The game always crashes when I rotate the camera a few times.
Can be reproduced with demo save.

This cannot be reproduced with at least the May 2 version (# 7289be5)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Ranran(retired)

This turned out to crash in the same part as the crash bug I reported here. It's due to coomit d61a1a9bda0261a36d261c65090b4d6466427506.

A crash may occur even if you do not rotate the camera, but you can reproduce it 100% (in demo.sve) by rotating the camera.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

PJMack

I had forgotten to test whether my pull request works with "camera" rotation, for that I apologize. 

I am currently still trying to sort out what exactly the issue is, as the debugging information shows the system in in invalid state which is physically impossible to get into.  Furthermore, whenever a breakpoint is added to the karte_t::rotate90 function, the crash is unlikely to occur!  Valgrind also appears to reduce the likelihood of failure, however for the few failures I did capture, Valgrind showed no relevant issues.  This leads me to believe that some sort of race condition is occurring.  Defining NO_PRIVATE_CAR_DESTINATION_LINKING (weg.cc line 1975) appears to mitigate the problem, however I currently do not know whether it actually prevents the race condition, or just significantly decreases the likelihood of it.  I did make sure that the mutex protections were in all the same places as previously. 

prissi

Since experimental uses threading for route finding: Are all routefinding threads terminated before rotation?

PJMack

As far as I can tell, the threads are terminated, but there is nothing to prevent them from starting again before the rotation in finished.  The same is true for the weg_t destructor function.

Edit:
Nevermind, I found it in the sync-step function.

PJMack

I found the issue, and the crash is cause by my code.  I had made an assumption that roads do not move in relation to one another.  It appears that private car routing never handled map rotation properly, it is just that my code caused a crash rather than cars getting lost.  I am trying to fix it now.  Again, I apologize for this.

PJMack

I have submitted a pull request making the compression/linking tolerant of map rotation.  As it was before I came along, map rotation causes cars to become lost, hence the term "tolerant" despite preventing the crash from that particular issue entirely. 

For as to why the breakpoints prevented the issue, I am still not sure.  Is it possible that the breakpoints cause the map rotation to occurred between the find_route cycles (?!)... 

As neither network games, private car routing, nor regions (https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,20773.0.html) fully supported map rotation (as of me joining), has it become a depreciated?

prissi

The networkgames could support map rotation. However, it would rotate the map for all players at the same time. Hence it was disabled. One could think enabling map rotation when only one client is connected ...

The private car routing and regions are quite new.

Mariculous

Quote from: prissi on May 31, 2021, 01:31:03 AMOne could think enabling map rotation when only one client is connected ...
Please don't!
Playing on a rotated map can be quite confusing, and not being able to rotate it back unless there's only one player connected seems quite annoying to me.
So please don't enable the feature this way.