News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Unable to save

Started by Celli, June 01, 2021, 02:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celli

Hello guys,
I have a problem saving my game. I don't know if it is only a pak128 problem or it is because i use relatively older version of the game(Simutrans v.120.0.1 with pak128 v2.5.2). I have this map like 3years now and recently there is a problem saving the game. I don't know if it comes due to the more then 400 different save files i made as i don't like to overwrite the save or due to the relatively big save file size (40MB/save file). I receive a message which says "can't overwrite file" even if I want to create a new save. Recently I had to relocate my saves from the "save" file from my computer which was a temporary solution but after some hours it won't save my game again. When the message pops up which says that I can't save, two new, XML files appear among the save files on my PC called "_cached" and "_temp.sve". Any option how to fix this problem whithout updating to newer simutrans versions?

Many thanks in advance.

prissi

Are you on windows and you save paths contains non ASCII letters? That only was repared relatively recently. It could be also broken permissions (creation but not renaming on windows).

As first try I would suggest using a newer version and see if this solves the problem.

Celli

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Yes I use windows and I do not use non-ASCII letters, I did a couple of time before but it was still able to save the file however the file name was broken. I was looking for a solution the past month but couldn't find any, I just try to avoid downloading the newer versions of the game but maybe I will try downloading it just to see if it would still have the same problem.

prissi

Otherwise, I would like to look at the savegame. Maybe something is broken inside, that is tolerated by old version but crashes newer ones.

Celli

The save file is too large to attach it here so I uploaded it to my Google Drive and you can download the file via this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1704xVg7BL3ZGCiRM8Kwcd458Sjd_VMm2/view?usp=sharing

It is weird to me that after playing 3years with the same game file, Simutrans version and pak set version a saving issue like this emerges. I hope we can figure something out and thanks for looking into it!

Dwachs

Link does not work, access denied.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Celli

Oops, forgot to switch on accessibility. This should work now:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1704xVg7BL3ZGCiRM8Kwcd458Sjd_VMm2/view?usp=sharing

Just to calrify, after opening a save game I can play on and build for like 15-30minutes and after that comes the message that it is unable to save.

TurfIt

I get "cannot open target file for writing!" if I attempt to resave this game under a new name in bzip2 format using 120.0.1.  Results in a 0 byte _temp.sve, and a _cached.xml that crashes simutrans upon subsequent openings of either a load or save dialog.

Changing the saveformat to zipped works in 120.0.1.  As does using 122.0 instead with bzip2.

As whatever is wrong appears fixed in a newer version, that would be your best action.

prissi

This game needs in Debug view more than 2 GB main memory.  Hence, it should be run on a x64 version of Simutrans.

Celli

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by x64 version? Should I change some settings or I have to download something for it?

TurfIt

The 32bit 120.0.1 released on sourceforge requires 1.7GB ram to load your map. This version can handle upto 4GB required maps.

The 32bit 122.0 version is for some reason published as a debug build, and requires more ram. Further, the 4GB support was broken by prissi in r9185. So, the published 122.0 32bit cannot load your map.
There is a 64 bit 122.0 version on sourceforge. This can load your map, but requires 2.7GB due to inefficiencies in the 64bit program. Need to download: Simutrans 122.0 "Windows (SDL2) for maps larger than 2 GB"

prissi

It simply did not compile properly with  -Wl,--large-address-aware for static builds. I think this is was a library problem. I added the largeaddress flags again to the builds.

TurfIt

Note: -Wl,--large-address-aware  is not valid for the 64 bit linker... i.e. 64bit build now fails.
Makefile/config.* need to have an explicit 32/64 bit selection...

prissi

I saw this as well. It is also not supported one Linux. Working on it.

Celli

Quote from: TurfIt on September 20, 2021, 07:14:55 PM
The 32bit 120.0.1 released on sourceforge requires 1.7GB ram to load your map. This version can handle upto 4GB required maps.

The 32bit 122.0 version is for some reason published as a debug build, and requires more ram. Further, the 4GB support was broken by prissi in r9185. So, the published 122.0 32bit cannot load your map.
There is a 64 bit 122.0 version on sourceforge. This can load your map, but requires 2.7GB due to inefficiencies in the 64bit program. Need to download: Simutrans 122.0 "Windows (SDL2) for maps larger than 2 GB"

So if I understand correctly, updating my simutrans to this newer version is inevitable?

prissi

Yes, either use the 64 version or a nightly from https://nightly.simutrans.com/en/ (there has been many error correction since 120.0.1, but also the GUI changed a lot). The nightlies are compiled again with support for larger memory models so a 32 bit nightly should work as well.