News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

[Ended] Bridgewater-Brunel game no. 4

Started by jamespetts, June 05, 2021, 02:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

I have no idea.
On my machine it builds and runs just fine.

Matthew

It compiles here fine as well.

The log messages suggest there is some problem with trains not being able to find their goods. I compared the goods.pak from B-B with the one that I pak'ed myself in a hex editor and it did not find any differences between the two. I tried to compare trains.pak but the editor repeatedly froze with a generic error message, probably because the file is too large.

I have no idea what could cause this. Maybe disk corruption? Seems unlikely but I don't know what else.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Mariculous

The only files that have changed, according to git are br-303.dat as well as the related images, so if it compiled just fine yesterday, the issue must be in there.
The dat seems to be fine but the Railcars directory seems supicious.

jamespetts

The problem appears to have been a capital/lower case clash, which would not cause problems on Windows, but does cause problems on Linux as the image files are not where they need to be. I have now fixed this, I believe.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Matthew

(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

Dessard

Quote from: Matthew on October 25, 2021, 08:08:55 PM
B-B is down. It last announced just before the nightly update, so the cause is probably a failed build. I note that the nightly Linux executable at http://bridgewater-brunel.me.uk/downloads/nightly/linux-x64/simutrans-extended has not been updated, and that an odd /downloads/nightly//linux-X64 file (a malformed directory??) has appeared. The Windows executables have not updated either.

The underlying bug has been reported here.
I think that this may have occurred again, or something related. The server has been down for a few days, and there the "linux-X64" file is still present and updated, and seems to be very similar to but slightly different from bridgewater-brunel.me.uk/downloads/nightly/linux-x64/makeobj-extended. Maybe the file which is supposed to be going to downloads/nightly/linux-x64/makeobj-extended is instead going to downloads/nightly/linux-X64?

jamespetts

Quote from: Dessard on December 04, 2021, 08:33:06 PM
I think that this may have occurred again, or something related. The server has been down for a few days, and there the "linux-X64" file is still present and updated, and seems to be very similar to but slightly different from bridgewater-brunel.me.uk/downloads/nightly/linux-x64/makeobj-extended. Maybe the file which is supposed to be going to downloads/nightly/linux-x64/makeobj-extended is instead going to downloads/nightly/linux-X64?

Welcome to the forums!

Apologies that this is down: I think that the reason is the known and occasional (but extremely hard to find and fix) suspected thread deadlock issue, as the symptoms on the server are entirely consistent with this.

I have now restarted the game on the server, so hopefully this should be working again now. I was hoping to look at some other things this week-end, too, including some of the very helpful patches that a few people have submitted, but I ran out of time in the end; I hope to review these soon.

In the meantime, happy transport network designing!

dannyliux

Server appears to be offline now.

Also, it is expected behaviour for the client's game to freeze for some time when the month change? For me, every time the game goes to the next month, it freezes for a bit, if I'm lucky it'll recover but with some weird side-effects such as everything going fast-forward for a minute or so, or the game automatically saving then disconnecting and reconnecting to the server, but if I'm unlucky it'll just crash to desktop.

jamespetts

Quote from: dannyliux on January 03, 2022, 10:18:52 AM
Server appears to be offline now.

Also, it is expected behaviour for the client's game to freeze for some time when the month change? For me, every time the game goes to the next month, it freezes for a bit, if I'm lucky it'll recover but with some weird side-effects such as everything going fast-forward for a minute or so, or the game automatically saving then disconnecting and reconnecting to the server, but if I'm unlucky it'll just crash to desktop.

Thank you for the report. My hosting provider's control panel access is currently down, so I am unable to retrieve my login password to log in to reset the server (I am currently staying away from home, so do not have my own record of it). I will check back later in the day to see if I can login then.

As to your question, the long time taken at the end of a month I believe is industry related. I am not entirely sure why this now takes such a long time; I will have to investigate this at some point.

jamespetts

I have now been able to login and restart Simutrans-Extended on the server, so this should be back up again in a few minutes.

dannyliux

Thank you, it's indeed back online now.

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on January 03, 2022, 10:48:00 AM
As to your question, the long time taken at the end of a month I believe is industry related. I am not entirely sure why this now takes such a long time; I will have to investigate this at some point.

I remember this happened when the game wanted to spawn new industry (chain) but couldn't find a suitable place to build it.

Also autosave could cause that.

freddyhayward

The server has been offline for 2.5 hours since the last restart. I also recently experienced a server crash that reset quite a bit of progress, though I can't recall any details that could help identify the issue.

jamespetts

Apologies - this appears to be the known intermittent thread deadlock bug rather than any crash. I have now restarted the server.

I did notice that the server appeared to be crashing at the end of December 1878 recently, but, when I loaded the saved game locally, I could not reproduce the crash. I then tried to load the game in the debugger on the server, and this then worked without crashing, so I have been unable to reproduce the problem.

PJMack

Quote from: freddyhayward on January 12, 2022, 08:40:01 AMI did notice that the server appeared to be crashing at the end of December 1878 recently, but, when I loaded the saved game locally, I could not reproduce the crash. I then tried to load the game in the debugger on the server, and this then worked without crashing, so I have been unable to reproduce the problem.
This is not too surprising, as the intermittent deadlocks would likely need very specific timing of events to occur, some of which may be from clients.  I recommend compiling the live server with the -g flag and making sure it is setup to capture core dumps so that when this inevitably happens again, the process can be killed with kill -3 and the core dump analyzed.  If the server is powerful enough, it may be necessary to run the active server from a build without the optimizations (-Og flag).

jamespetts

Server is currently down owing to a compile issue. Apologies for any inconvenience.

jamespetts

dannyliux

Just a note to everyone playing, there appears to be some problems with the trams, they display negative speed and don't move at all, see the GIF below:

https://gfycat.com/afraidjubilantleafbird

I was not able to reproduce this in single player, neither new game nor old saved games appear to suffer from this, so I didn't file a bug report.

jamespetts

This is currently offline owing to a bug causing the game to crash on loading the saved game. The save is confirmed working with older versions, so the data should be safe. Apologies for the disruption.

Edit: Now running again.

dannyliux

This might not have been entirely fixed. Now whenever I try to join the server, it will load in the map and then immediately display 'Lost synchronisation with server'.

jamespetts

Quote from: dannyliux on February 03, 2022, 10:59:18 AM
This might not have been entirely fixed. Now whenever I try to join the server, it will load in the map and then immediately display 'Lost synchronisation with server'.

Can I check whether you have the latest nightly build?

Matthew

I have also been having difficulties for a few weeks now. If I join from the terminal using -net, then I instantly desync like dannyliux. If I join using the in-game GUI, then I get a segmentation fault.

I haven't bug reported it because I haven't yet ruled out problems at my end or debugged the crash. I am using a self-compiled build (due to the libpng bug), but the commit hash matches with the B-B server.

dannyliux

Quote from: jamespetts on February 03, 2022, 11:02:37 AM
Can I check whether you have the latest nightly build?

I believe so, yes. I use the Java updater everytime before I start playing. Currently on build 14.17 #6a9ac0a, just checked, problem still there.

jamespetts

I have found and fixed a bug which I believe is responsible for this - this should be incorporated into to-morrow's nightly build. My apologies for the trouble.

dannyliux

Thanks for the work, can confirm it is working again.

jamespetts

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on February 03, 2022, 07:01:35 PM
I have found and fixed a bug which I believe is responsible for this - this should be incorporated into to-morrow's nightly build. My apologies for the trouble.

Thank you, this has fixed the problem here too!

Matthew

Bridgewater-Brunel has stopped. I guess it's the usual freeze bug.

jamespetts

Matthew

freddyhayward

The server appears offline right now.

jamespetts

freddyhayward