News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Signal direction indicator for the main view

Started by Ranran(retired), July 11, 2021, 02:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

It seems that it is difficult to acquire new players because the extended signal system is too difficult for Japanese yutori guys.
Ranran can't understand such a difficult thing. (´・ω・`)
(Perhaps the biggest reason is that otaku can't meet their demand because they want to play games rich in Japanese trains. There are many Japanese vehicle add-ons in standard.)

Anyway, I got the light when I was thinking about a solution to the problem of ribi_arrow in one way patch.

I think that displaying an arrow on the signal will make it easier to understand the structure of the signal.

The difference from standard is the presence or absence of the blue arrow. standard blocks entry from the opposite side, but extended does not. Therefore, it is necessary to put a one-way sign and be aware of the direction of travel.
The direction of the blue reservation is also a little easier to understand.

This arrow display is conscious of addressing the existing ribi_arrow issues.

(1) It doesn't become hard to see in night view mode

(2) Arrows correspond to diagonal directions

(3) Since it is not an image object, it will not be so hard to see when zoomed out. (There may be room for brushing up)

Unfortunately, there is no prospect of solving the problem that is prioritized over the vehicle.

I have implemented the basic functionality so you can test it.
https://github.com/Ranran-the-JuicyPork/simutrans-extended/tree/signal-indicator

This works with the key that displays the ribi_arrow.

I also hope that it will improve the grasp of signaling that do not have any aspects, but I'm at a loss what to do with one train staff signaling.
It returns call_on status instead of returning clear and danger as in normal signals.
I only want to see the clear if the stuff is there, is that possible? I mean does the signal have the data that the stuff is there?
In demo.sve there is one train staff signal at high street stop of the tram.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Matthew

This looks like a great new feature for newbies! Thank you Ranran!

(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Mariculous

Quote from: Ranran on July 11, 2021, 02:58:03 PMI only want to see the clear if the stuff is there, is that possible?
In the current implementation, there is no concept of "staff is there".
Instead the route is checked for reservations once the train arrived at the cabinet.

Anyways, I like that map overlay. In terms of usability it's a good idea to highlight relevant informations directly on the map.

jamespetts

I have just had a chance to test these: thank you for your work on this. This does seem potentially very helpful to players, especially the blue arrows indicating the positions and directions of the one way boards, which are not always easy to see.

For the one train staff working method, I note that the arrows are always red. As you know, the call on aspect is used here rather than the clear aspect. May I suggest that a white arrow be used to represent the call on aspect? The call on aspect will be used in ordinary signals more widely once the convoy recombination feature is implemented, so this feature will need to take account of this signal aspect. White is certainly the convention in the UK for call on aspects.

Once this has been done, the feature should be ready for integration so far as I can see, as this works well in my tests.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Hello again, train otakus. (´・ω・`)
I would like to report on the progress of this patch from Jalapagos.

First of all, since the toolbar position setting was introduced in standard, the overlay position has been broken, and the struggle to fix it has been ongoing, and is still broken. It hardly matters if the name plate of the station or convoy is slightly off from the original altitude, but the display positional relationship with the railroad track is important for this signal display, and I would like you to keep that in mind.
Sorry for the dependence on standard's development for this. Unfortunately, I lack the knowledge and spare time to fix so... (´・ω・`)
However it is possible to test the functionality. I've enhanced this feature as another patch has been completed somewhat.

QuoteAs you know, the call on aspect is used here rather than the clear aspect.
As far as I've tested, the staff cabinet may or may not show the call on aspect when the train approaches, and I don't know how that happens.

QuoteFor the one train staff working method, I note that the arrows are always red.
After all, this time I improved the display of the one train staff cabinet.
The arrows have been changed to birirectional, whereas previously only one arrow was displayed.

Before the change, it would randomly display call on aspect during the small amount of time it picked up or discarded the staff, and red for the rest.

New specifications of one train staff indicator:
If the staff exists there, it will show yellow. Indicates that the train can enter the section it protects, but needs to approach slowly.
When the staff is taken by the train, the arrow will show red in the direction of the protected section. This means that another train cannot invade the protected section.
However, the direction of the unprotected section will be marked with orange to indicate that convoy will be enter the drive by sight section.

Hopefully this will make it understandable to the Yutori Japanese. (´・ω・`)

QuoteMay I suggest that a white arrow be used to represent the call on aspect? The call on aspect will be used in ordinary signals more widely once the convoy recombination feature is implemented, so this feature will need to take account of this signal aspect. White is certainly the convention in the UK for call on aspects.
This has been changed to Silky Gray. The color is almost white, but to people it will look white. (I think real white would be too much of a contrast to the overall game screen.)

Ranran(retired)

The patch was metamorphosed by fermenting it overnight. In the world, the Japanese word "hentai" has been used incorrectly, but the true meaning of hentai is metamorphosis. It is a pity that beautiful Japanese is used only in a dirty sense. (´・ω・`)
Anyway, signals and signs can be placed on slopes in simutrans. The patch has evolved and now the position of the arrow is adjusted according to the angle of the slope. However, the arrow does not tilt to match the angle of the slope. Just like a vehicle, it only adjusts its altitude. But it should be much better than running into a slope.

This change should be easy to apply to standard, as the code is not that different from standard, except that the zoom level effect can be eliminated for future use on the GUI.

prissi

Can you point me to the commit in question, please?

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on August 27, 2021, 02:47:20 PMCan you point me to the commit in question, please?
Are you asking about this?
Quote from: Ranran on August 26, 2021, 01:54:26 PMFirst of all, since the toolbar position setting was introduced in standard, the overlay position has been broken, and the struggle to fix it has been ongoing, and is still broken. It hardly matters if the name plate of the station or convoy is slightly off from the original altitude, but the display positional relationship with the railroad track is important for this signal display, and I would like you to keep that in mind.
Sorry for the dependence on standard's development for this. Unfortunately, I lack the knowledge and spare time to fix so... (´・ω・`)
It is possible that I misunderstood this matter. This anomaly seems to occur based on the relationship between the height and width of the window. Try resizing the window. The previously correct arrow alignment may be broken by it. Changing the zoom level may break them at a different zoom level than before, but I've never seen them in the correct display position at all zoom levels.
If it were not for the signal arrow function on the way, I may not have even noticed this misalignment. Therefore, it is not certain which commit is the cause.. Misalignment may have been a possibility since the toolbar position was introduced.

prissi

I mean the commit to handle slopes, which should be possible to use in standard as you said
Quote from: prissi on August 27, 2021, 02:47:20 PMThis change should be easy to apply to standard, as the code is not that different from standard, except that the zoom level effect can be eliminated for future use on the GUI.

Ranran(retired)

jamespetts

Thank you very much for this. Although the placement of the arrows is somewhat too high (I presume for the reason that you have given), I have incorporated this, as I can see that this is likely to be very useful in spite of this issue.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.