News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Improvement of minimap factory link display

Started by Ranran(retired), August 23, 2021, 09:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

Pull request #431 brings a small improvement to minimap.
If you open the factory dialog while minimap is open, the linked factories will be connected. This is a very useful feature. The patch improves this one more step.
Tooltips for linked factory names are color-coded according to whether they are suppliers or consumers.
This color is the same as the color of the supplier or consumer symbol in the factory dialog, which is color-coded orange and blue.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Matthew

Thank you for contributing this, Ranran. Your UI improvements have improved the game greatly. But isn't this feature already present? When the factory dialog is open, I see the suppliers linked by red lines and the consumers linked by white lines:

(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Ranran(retired)

Yes, I know. I thought it would be clearer to color the tooltip rather than follow the lines, so I did. Also the colors of the lines are not correlated so it is not intuitive as to which is the consumer.

Mariculous

Quote from: Matthew on August 23, 2021, 12:16:42 PMWhen the factory dialog is open, I see the suppliers linked by red lines and the consumers linked by white lines
What the heck! I did not know this :O
I only knew about the mouseover effect when the industry layer is enabled on the minimap.

May I ask what exactly is the advantage in coloring the tooltips (in addition to or instead of?) coloring the lines?
In any case, if both are color coded, the color code should be consistent.

What happened to the ctrl key in that context?
Previously, if holding the ctrl key, suppliers were highlighted, otherwise consumers.

Matthew

Quote from: Ranran on August 23, 2021, 12:20:31 PM
Yes, I know. I thought it would be clearer to color the tooltip rather than follow the lines, so I did. Also the colors of the lines are not correlated so it is not intuitive as to which is the consumer.

OK, I see. I find it helpful to follow the lines, because otherwise you have to search the whole map. But I know it can be a little difficult to understand sometimes, e.g. markets can have many lines.

Quote from: Freahk on August 23, 2021, 01:05:39 PM
What the heck! I did not know this :O
I only knew about the mouseover effect when the industry layer is enabled on the minimap.

I think it's a recent feature, maybe one of the features that Ranran has kindly brought across from Standard?
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

prissi

Indeed, as on big screen and with touch screen hitting factories is next to impossible.

wlindley

Most excellent!  (I also had long forgotten why sometimes the lines appeared, the answer being whether the factory dialog was open).

Any chance of sorting the industry list, and removing the duplicates?  Here for example, "Clay Pit" is repeated three times.  And quick, what colour is the Coal Merchant? 

If the list items could be filtered by the selected goods type, that would be an extra bonus.  As-is, the industry list is jumbled and useless, no?

Ranran(retired)

I don't think the tooltip was originally designed to display suppliers and consumers at the same time.
The original function was that if you moused over the factory while the industry button was pressed, a white line would be linked, and pressing shift would switch to a red line. A recent change added an example where both are displayed at the same time. This created a confusion. So, I think the addition of color-coding for tooltips is appropriate.
Extended uses symbols to distinguish between input and output, which can be associated with them to help the player understand them.

I didn't change the line color, but the map uses a lot of colors, and the lines are thin, so visibility is not good. Red in particular gets lost in the map. Ideally, the lines should have arrows for direction, but that is difficult. Therefore, using colors is an easy way.
Should the color of this line also be changed?

From what I can see at first glance, the list appears to be alphabetical, with suppliers, manufacturers, end consumers, and power plant in that order.

jamespetts

Excellent, thank you. Now incorporated. This does make things clearer.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: wlindley on August 23, 2021, 03:43:45 PMAny chance of sorting the industry list, and removing the duplicates?  Here for example, "Clay Pit" is repeated three times.
I did a quick check on this again. As I said before, this is grouped as Producers, Manufacturers, and Consumers, in alphabetical order.
It is hard to tell because there are no separators, but there is concern that adding separators will expand the list.
There is also the idea of adding text color. For example, blue for producers and orange for consumers). And in this case, the color coding is biased to one side. Lately the heavy use of text color changes is starting to become less desirable to me. It does not work very well with the theme.

Next, duplicate text is intentionally created by the pakset author (translator) to create duplicates.
It could have a different text in a different language. For example, in other languages, it can be translated as old small coal mine, old coal mine.
If they are integrated, the moment you change the language, it create a contradiction.
Furthermore, the map color of industries with the same name is not necessarily the same. It's just that its pakset is intentionally made the same. For example, we can change the brightness slightly to distinguish between them.