News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Steam Statistics (From 2021 to 2023)

Started by Roboron, October 12, 2021, 06:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roboron

It was just a year ago when I published statistics about Simutrans on Steam (up to 11 October 2020). So here I come again with sweet data: How has been doing Simutrans this year in Steam?

1 - Simutrans downloads
Total downloads: From this day a year ago, Simutrans has been downloaded 17 000 times on Steam, an increase of 65% (7 000 more downloads) over the previous year. Of those new owners, "only" 12 000 actually played the game.

Simutrans downloads by day: In this second graphic we can observe a curious behaviour: peak downloads days were 7 February and 3 April. But Roboron, why is that curious? Well that's because both days have something in common: They were a couple days after the first OpenTTD announcement that they were coming to Steam (4 February) and the actual release of OpenTTD on Steam (1 April). So the release of OpenTTD actually had a positive effect on Simutrans, if only briefly.

Downloads by region/country show that Western Europe/Germany is still the region/country with more downloads, with Asia/Japan second and North America/US third. However, this does not translate 1:1 for current players, see the next section.

2 - Simutrans players
Daily users data shows a similar behaviour. The 5 April it was very close (350 players) to the current record (352 players from 2020). However, this was the same day Simutrans OTRP was released on Steam, so this may be the real reason behind it, not the OpenTTD release.

Player counts show more Mac users playing Simutrans after the Mac version was fixed for Steam (24 October), and for a while surpassed Linux users, but they are now on the same level more or less.

Our players demographic has also changed. Notably, players from Asia have increased greatly, and Asia players are now very close to Western Europe players. Japanese players are now the new kings of Simutrans with 22.73% of total players, while German players are now the second. Another region which has seen an increase in players is Latin America, with Brazil leading the way.

Players by region 2020 vs 2021 (for comparison). Showing countries with 1%+ of players.

3 - Steam Hardware Survey
Note: The Hardware Survey is opt-in so it is not a direct representation of Simutrans players.

Users by OS

Users by CPU

Users by RAM: Compared to previous year 16 and 16+ GB have seen a notable increase, while other numbers are practically the same.

Users by resolution

Users by language: not Simutrans language, but Steam's interface language.

Users by GPU: I don't know why this chart is not sorted

There are more statistics, but I think those are all the relevant ones for us :-)

4 - Steam Announcements
Note: Data of announcements made on December 2020 may be inaccurate due to a Steam issue.

Here you can see the Steam announcements I made this year, with its "impressions" (see but not clicked) and actual reads. You can see that announcements made previous to me being a maintainer have much lower numbers than after the comeback.

The article with more reads is "Termination of Simutrans OTRP Development" while the article with more impressions is "Simutrans Extra #0" (surprisingly to me, since that's not an update article).

prissi

This is more or less what also sourceforge tells. Although on sourceforge the number of downloads decreased notably after January 2021. Usually it is 8000 per month.https://sourceforge.net/projects/simutrans/files/simutrans/stats/timeline?dates=2019-06-27+to+2021-09-26
Last week 77 downloading the mac version (which I think is broken ...) and 21 Linux versus ~400 Windows users.
Most downloaded on sourceforge is pak64 then pak128.German, then pak128. Coutry order is Japan. Germany, Brazil, US, Czech ttps://sourceforge.net/projects/simutrans/files/simutrans/stats/map

makie

Apr 2020 i think it is the lockdown of covid19 (corona)

Roboron

Quote from: prissi on October 13, 2021, 12:46:07 AMLast week 77 downloading the mac version (which I think is broken ...)
I wonder why no one complains...

Curious that Brazil actually surpassed US downloads via SourceForge! There's definitely a growing Brazilian player base.

I didn't think on checking the paksets statistics, but it shows a pretty different picture than the SourceForge ones. pak64 is actually one of the least downloaded. Pak128.Japan is the winner but with Pak128.German very, very close.

Pak downloads + increment vs previous year (remember that after the pakset update they were de-bundled).
Pak128.Japan: 3,871 +120%
Pak128.German: 3,829 +91%
Pak192.Comic: 3,371 +103%    
Pak128.Britain: 3,102 +63%
Pak64: 3,013 +29%    
Pak64.German: 2,914 +74%    

Pak128 obviously does not appear because it is the default.

prissi

These all are very close together. Seems like most people click on everything ...

Roboron

Today is the day everyone has been waiting for: The Steam Statistics day!

1 - Simutrans downloads
Total downloads: From this day a year ago, Simutrans has been downloaded 18 000 times on Steam, an increase of 5% (1 000 more downloads) over the previous year. Of those new owners, 13 000 actually played the game.

Simutrans downloads by day: Actually, downloads by day are pretty similar to previous year, but pikes this year have been bigger. The larger ones were after the 123.0.1 release, and some smaller ones here and there during the anniversary events. Curiously the 123 release didn't got much attention according to downloads.

Downloads by region/country: There haven't been any changes in the ranking of regions, with variations of roughly 1% at most.

Countries however, we have big surprise. Germany has for the first time ever fallen from the first position! But instead of Japan, what is in the first position is United States, which has switched its previous third place with Germany. Japan still holds its second place.
France has grown nicely to 1000 downloads and the fourth position (surpassing Brazil), and Turkey has entered the 1 percent group (in exchange for Hungary).

2 - Simutrans players

Daily users: The data for Simutrans players show a pretty similar picture to Simutrans download - with the exception that we can see here how the 123 update did indeed catch the interest of existing players.

Current players by region: Japan is here still holding strong its first position, so is Germany and US, only a bit closer between each other this year. UK surpassed Brazil, Poland surpassed Czech Republic and the Czechs are now at the same level of the stronger France, and Austria. For the rest, Hungary and the Russian Federation dropped from the 1 percent club, so did China unfortunately.

Note: The Hardware Survey is opt-in so it is not a direct representation of Simutrans players.

Users by OS: Windows 11 sucked some users from Windows 10; more version variety in Mac and Linux players. No Steam Deck users.

Users by CPU: 8 and 12 cores and more popular than a year ago.

Users by RAM: For the first time we can see data for RAM greater than 16 GBs. Indeed, players with less than 16GB of RAM keep decreasing.

Users by resolution: Not much change here.

Users by language: not Simutrans language, but Steam's interface language. German down to third position. Russian entered top 10.

4 - Steam Announcements
It's a little earlier to evaluate the announcements since there is still two anniversary posts to post, but here are the numbers anyway.

Announcements previous to the anniversary: It's impressive how many "Impressions" the Social Media post got. So impressive that I think it is a bug (specially since reads were much lower) maybe related to the summer sales.

Anniversary announcements: started pretty good, then stagnated around 30.00 impressions and 800 views. Maybe this number is the actual number of people really interested in Simutrans aside of game updates., maybe Steam's algorithm punished me for posting news so regularly, maybe I sunk the numbers myself by resurrecting the Simutrans blog and linking to it on every other site (including Steam announcements).

That is all for this year. Unfortunately or not, no Steam-related changes were made in the last year, and no one is planned for the future, so I don't have anything to announce in that regard.

Roboron

It's 12th October! What happens October 12th? National Simutrans Statistics Day!

1 - Simutrans downloads
Total downloads: From this day a year ago, Simutrans has been downloaded 41 522 times on Steam, an increase of 143% (23 500 more downloads!) over the previous year. Of those new owners, about 20 000 actually played the game. Impressive numbers this year!

tmp.png

Simutrans downloads by day: You can see in this graph a big spike in the month of November, probably cause by a combination of the new trailer (released at the end of September) gaining traction and the the celebration of the Simutrans Anniversary Video Contest.

tmp.png

Downloads by region: Practically every region increased its number of downloads except for Asia, where it remained the same. This has led to Asia to lose its second position to North America! Other regions also increased their share.

tmp.png

Downloads by country: are still led by USA. Germany is trying to come back at the top and took the second position from Japan. Brazil recovered a lot and is now again in fourth position, while France falls behind China.

tmp.png

2 - Simutrans players

Daily active users: While the number of downloads has increased a lot, the number of average daily active users has only increased about 12% and is now around 226 users. You can also see how at the end of the previous year there was a peak, probably for the same reasons exposed above.

tmp.png

Current players by region: While Japan is stagnating in number of new downloads, there is no denial his strength is his consistent number of active players, and once again is leading this metric. Notable changes in this chart include UK changing its fourth position with Poland (wow!) and an increase of Swedes players having fun at Simutrans.

tmp.png

Users by OS: Windows 11 gained 12% of share up to 34% at the cost of previous versions, MacOS users are now predominantly using MacOS 13+, and Linux show an ecosystem as diverse as ever before, including new platforms such as SteamOS or Flatpak.

tmp.png
tmp.png
tmp.png

Users by CPU: Less users on 4-core CPUs, more on 8-core CPUs.Speeds are largely the same.

tmp.png
tmp.png
tmp.png

Users by RAM: Users with 32Gbb of RAM keep increasing at good rate (+10%).

tmp.png

Users by resolution: 1440p increase slightly.

tmp.png

Users by language: not Simutrans language, but Steam's interface language. English and Japanese increased, every other decreased.

tmp.png

4 - Steam Announcements

The previous year I expressed my concern about the low number of impression/views the Anniversary events were getting. Fortunately, after the new trailer was released, interest grew up. The Anniversary Video Contest results obtained more than 100 000 impressions =D

tmp.png

After that, I took a break from Simutrans and life kept me busy until recently, so unfortunately no new announcements have been made this year 2023 (I'll fix that the coming days).

That's all this year! Seeing how good did Simutrans after all the effort invested in promoting it makes me happy, but I doubt we will be able to hit these numbers again. Maybe for the 50th anniversary!

prissi