The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Pier System Branch Pak128.Britian-Ex: Balencing vs Historic Accuracy  (Read 97 times)

Offline PJMack

In order to test the Pier_System branch in Simutrans-Extended, I had created a corresponding branch of Simutrans-pak128.britain for the purposes of testing as discussed elsewhere of the forum (https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,21164.0.html).  Such discussion if primarily on the coding and UI side of things, whereas here I would like to continue (or start anew) the discussion from the pakset designer's perspective of things to handle game balance, historic accuracy, accuracy to Britain, and where such conflict.

There are three discrepancies that come to mind with the existing elevated ways in the pakset.  Firstly, the axle load limits for the elevated ways are set well above that of any vehicles, making them ineffective.  Secondly, the costs associated with the elevated ways are significantly higher than that of the equivalent multi-span bridges, resulting in a "cheat" where such bridges are used for long straight sections.  The third issue is into date correctness of some of the viaduct types, specifically the iron girder elevated rail system, which has an intro date approximately the same as the first such system in New York City, and as far as I can tell, would not be introduced in Britain until the Liverpool Overhead.  Likewise, I cannot find any evidence of a steel overhead road system in Britain (though I could be wrong about that).

When creating the new pier system dat files, I used adjusted the costs of the bridges.  For the brick elevated pier set, the intro date is not enabled yet (due to a stone pier system not being completed yet), the axle load limits for such set to maximum, and the costs set to be slightly less than the equivalent bridges.  For the iron pier set, the intro date was set to 1860 (about the same existing), the axle load limits set to the lighter tank locomotives of the era (which happen to be about the axle load limit of the Manhattan elevated), the costs set to half the build and double the maintenance of the brick elevated pier system.

I am requesting any opinions, thoughts and recommendations on the proper adjustments for these as well as recommendations of new pier types.