News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Efficient station throat design

Started by CK, December 24, 2021, 11:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK

I've built this terminus station a while back and I'm at a loss at how to maximise throughput on the express line to the north (I'm currently at 135 trains per month). The choose signals occasionally show erratic behaviour where trains sometimes will take the parallel line on the north but sometimes plainly refuse to do so (meanwhile they will take every single opportunity to make 90 degree turns when given the possibility). Sometimes trains waiting at the signal for a while do not get cleared while a train which has just finished reversing does get cleared. And sometimes a parallel route over the points when another train is entering won't get cleared at all. The southern (suburban) side of the station does work fine (and is still tied into the rest of the station for depot purposes). What else can I do to make the signals show more desirable behaviour and increase throughput?

KneeOn

Could you post your save game? I'll try to have a look over the next few days if I can.

I can't see anything obvious, and aside from being visually asymmetrical the signal and track layout is symmetrical (and would be on a signal panel). Seeing it in action would help.

CK

https://ufile.io/7jyo896d

I hope this link works. I did make a few modifications after the grocer went bankrupt so I'm now up to 135 trains per day leaving. (also more or less gave up with allowing trains to leave through either track)

KneeOn

Hi CK, sorry for the delay. What version are you using?

CK

Quote from: KneeOn on January 14, 2022, 10:59:54 AM
Hi CK, sorry for the delay. What version are you using?
Whichever was the nightly build on that date.

KneeOn

CK,

I've had a look and a play around.

I only noticed a few odd movements which were trains moving from one down line in to another and then back on the station throat.

Throughput seemed good. No 90° movements either. 59 trains used the new viaduct you built, 70+ used the original.

I've tried to create a grade separated junction to give the south side of the station a non-conflicting departure option but usage remained sporadic no matter the configuration.

I think part of it is a limitation of AI - simutrans won't make as good a set of decisions as a signaller or even ARS becuase ARS subrotes are preprogrammed and finite.

The split of fast and slow lines is useful. It would be better if you had a timetable so that departures could be planned to avoid conflicting moves but I would suggest that the dwell/recovery/turn around times would mean platform occupation brings the entire station to a standstill.

Choose signals are definitely selecting weird routes though. Trains don't use the closest available line, sometimes preferring to wait for the line opposite (in a grade separated junction) or otherwise waiting for an inbound service to clear before it starts to cross the junction despite another route being free.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful!