News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

PR#502 - More realistic traffic lights layout

Started by Ranran(retired), February 16, 2022, 08:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

Ideas always come suddenly. Questions about traffic lights inspired me to come up with ideas.  :lightbulb:
A useless forest of traffic lights was not practical, Ranran suddenly thought.

Japanese citizens are very picky, so if there is a traffic lights facing the opposite direction on a one-way street, the citizens will be upset that it is a waste of taxpayer money.  :police: But I don't know if it is the same in other countries.
Anyways, pull request #502 would reduce the number of useless traffic lights.
But keep in mind that it will not reduce the cost of your traffic light installation. (´・ω・`)

Check out the difference in the following images.

Before:

:arrow: After:

The number of traffic lights at these intersections will be reduced by half.
Also, even if traffic display mode is not turned on as shown in the image, the player may notice that the intersection is one-way.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

prissi

With this patch on standard all traffic lights fully vanish on double way roads. Since the display code seems identical, I wonder why it works on extended.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on February 16, 2022, 12:55:56 PMWith this patch on standard all traffic lights fully vanish on double way roads. Since the display code seems identical, I wonder why it works on extended.
This is because in extended, the overtaking patch now records the ribi of whether all tiles are one-way or not.

prissi

I tested this in extended as well. A normal twoway road with traffic lights will not show any traffic lights at all. I think such invisible traffic lights are not helpful ...

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on February 17, 2022, 02:36:00 AMI tested this in extended as well. A normal twoway road with traffic lights will not show any traffic lights at all
Thank you for your confirmation, and I apologize for my lack of checking. It was confirmed that the rotation of the camera would cause an anomaly if empty was not assigned to the image to be hidden, so a fix for that was also added. Maybe it works fine with extended now.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.