News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

123.0: Map shows Network when line selected, but is not restored when closed

Started by m.vanderwulp, January 11, 2022, 03:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m.vanderwulp

Tested in the new simutrans 123.0, with pak128, did work fine in previous 122.0:

1. Open the Map, show Networks e.g. for Steel.
2. Now, click on a station, go to Connections tab, and select a Train line for Steel.
The line dialog opens, and the Map now only shows the selected line. Good, this is very practical. See attached screenshot.
3. Now, close this line dialog.

In 122.0, this also returned the map to show all steel lines.
In 123.0, the map remains showing the single steel line.

Problem: how do I return the map to showing all Steel lines?
Also, when opening multiple line dialogs, the shown line on the map does not follow the selected dialog any more.

prissi

Should be fixed, as well as the display of schedule of convois and the proper change when topping and untopping windows. Additionally r10352 shows the selected convoi in magenta.

m.vanderwulp

Thanks! It works.

I was building the simutrans packages for openSUSE, and have the solution to this bug included.
Hopefully, the result will be visible soon at https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/games/simutrans

prissi

I strongly advise using the latest stable for this, in the current case r10317 (although a new one will come shortly). Otherwise these games will not be able to connect to an online server running a stable version.

Roboron

Well the config.default he used suggests a correct revision number

=> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:m_vanderwulp:branches:games/simutrans/config.default?expand=1&rev=18

I do have some extra suggestions however. According to the configuration your build of Simutrans won't have MIDI music. One of the additions in version 123 was the fluidsynth midi backend (specifically to address music issues on linux), so I suggest you to use that, and add a default soundfont as dependency. zstd compression could also be set.

m.vanderwulp

@Roboron: Thanks for the tips!
Currently, I am preparing the new 123.0.1 version of simutrans. See https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:m_vanderwulp:branches:games/simutrans

About zstd compression:

So far, I added "BuildRequires:  libzstd-devel" to the spec file, and adapted the config.default file. This builds fine, but I have no clue what it is used for. The "config.template" only says "using zstd compression library"; which does not give any information as to what is compressed, and what are the advantages or disadvantages of using it. Maybe you can explain (in the "config.template")?

About fluidsynth:

The current OpenSuse Leap (15.3) has fluidsynth 1.1.11 and the future OpenSuse Leap (15.4) has fluidsynth 2.2.2.
The rolling OpenSuse Tumbleweed has 2.2.4.
I tested, and apparently,  fluidsynth 1.1.11 is not sufficient to build simutrans.
Can you confirm that simutrans should work with 2.2.2 (or later)?
I do not have the skills to build differently per target, so, I will build without fluidsynth for now.
Do we need this too in the spec file: "Requires:  fluidsynth >= 2.2.2" to install the service?

About the soundfont:

If I would build with fluidsynth, is it then sufficient to add this to the spec file: "Requires:  fluid-soundfont-gm" ?
This is a soundfont available for all different versions of OpenSuse.

Roboron

Quote from: m.vanderwulp on February 01, 2022, 12:39:40 PMCan you confirm that simutrans should work with 2.2.2 (or later)?

Minimum version of fluidsynth required is 2.1.0, because this is the first version with SDL2 driver support. The CMakeList will look specifically for this version or greater.

Quote from: m.vanderwulp on February 01, 2022, 12:39:40 PMIf I would build with fluidsynth, is it then sufficient to add this to the spec file: "Requires:  fluid-soundfont-gm" ?

Yes, that soundfont is included in our list and will be found by Simutrans.

Quote from: m.vanderwulp on February 01, 2022, 12:39:40 PMThe "config.template" only says "using zstd compression library"; which does not give any information as to what is compressed, and what are the advantages or disadvantages of using it.

The save files are compressed. Usually this is done with bzip2 compression, but zstd can replace it. zstd is faster (advantage) but also lead to higher files (disadvantage). I will add this information to the config.default, it was already in CMake.

prissi

Usually network games using zstd, since speed is an issue. So for maximum network gaming compatibility, zstd is recommended.