News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Erroneous commit tag in game window

Started by Rollmaterial, August 24, 2021, 01:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollmaterial

The game window title doesn't seem to display a correct commit tag since a few days.

Matthew

James mentions that this is a by-product of a change to his build process in this post.

It seems to me that this is an unfortunate development. It is going to be difficult for contributors to be sure that they have reproduced a problem/change if we are not clear whether we are compiling the same revision of the code as B-B or not. There have also been several occasions when the the nightly update has produced a broken client and users have needed to update to a specific new revision.

I guess that James tolerated this regression because it avoided a worse problem, so it's a necessary compromise, but hopefully not for too long.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

I agree that this is unfortunate - I am not entirely sure of the details of the causation of this, and was not aware until recently that this was new. I am not sure exactly what file change on the server caused the issue, nor what the effect of a git reset (which I believe would be necessary to re-synchronise the commits) would be, at least not without very, very extensive investigation. It is difficult immediately to think of a solution to this that would not take an unreasonable and possibly extreme amount of time to check and investigate - it is possible in principle that there is a straightforward solution, but, given how unclear the causation of this is at present, it is not immediately clear what that might be.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

I am not sure if I understand the issue correctly. B-B does not build the latest master but instead a local branch based on master?

In any case, the following might help to identify the difference betwen your local state and the master:
git status will show local uncommitted changes.
git diff --name-only master... will show files that changed in your branch after the last common commit of your branch and master.
use git diff master... to see what has changed in those files.
Use git diff master... filename.cc to see what has changed in filename.cc

jamespetts

Thank you to Freahk for this explanation. I have had a go at fixing this - I should be grateful if people could re-test with the manual rebuild that is currently in progress.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Mariculous

Sorry for the late reply. It doesn't seem to be fixed.
Latest commit (2 days ago) is ce091b6, but latest bridgewater nightly is 7cdd1bd

jamespetts

This is not actually an issue with the code itself, but with the configuration of the Bridgewater-Brunel server. However, I believe that this has now been fixed - I should be grateful if you could confirm.