News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Pre-1890 underground stations

Started by dannyliux, January 14, 2022, 09:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyliux

In 1890 the 'tube platforms' which can be built underground in tunnels becomes available and players can then construct deep-level tube networks. I assume this coincides with the opening of the Northern Line which is the first deep-level London underground.

However, the subsurface/cut-and-cover lines have been running since 1863, but we have no tunnel-compatible platforms for that date. So this is the method I've adopted for building 'underground' stations before that date:

First, clear a 2x6 space in the city (luckily city council always grants us permission):

Next, terraform the ground until looks like this, with double slopes for the tunnels:

Add the tunnel entrances and rails:

Lastly plop down the stations on the open-air section in the middle:

And the 'underground' station is done. In terms of historical accuracy, I believe some stations in London were built like this, but there are also underground stations (e.g. Baker Street) that has ventilation shafts to deal with the steam and smoke. There is a scenario in vanilla pak.128 that limits the depth of player tunnels until certain requirements are met, and perhaps this is a feasible way to force players to built early underground stations close to surface level. But personally I'm not too concerned and I think the open-air stations has a certain charm (neighbours and previous inhabitants of the destroyed buildings may disagree). This post is merely to share my way of building underground stations.

jamespetts

This is a splendid tutorial. Your solution is in fact exactly what is intended, and is consistent with stations on the original Metropolitan Railway line such as Edgware Road, Farringdon, Barbican, Paddington (Praed Street) and many others.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.