News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[r10421] Mudslide from the adjacent artificial slope

Started by Ranran(retired), February 15, 2022, 09:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

Removal of building with artificial slope next to it will cause sediment to flow in.
The slope contractor must be mixing water with the concrete. It happens all the time in China, but it also happens sometimes in Japan.
However, sloppy construction should be prohibited in simutrans. (´・ω・`)

This unreasonable phenomenon has been confirmed in both r10421 and extended, and therefore I think it is an old bug.

Reproduction Procedure:
(1) Install an artificial flat slope(foundation) on the plain

(2) Build an extension building on the tiles next to the artificial foundation

(3) Remove the extension building

After they are removed, there is a pile that was not there originally...
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

prissi

This is because the building tries to restore the natural landscape from before built. Same as using the restore natural slope tool.

But the original landscape was never saved (properly). So it tries to approach the current grid. You get the same results by using the restore natural slope tool. I do not think that this can be "fixed".

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on February 16, 2022, 03:36:54 AMBut the original landscape was never saved (properly). So it tries to approach the current grid. You get the same results by using the restore natural slope tool. I do not think that this can be "fixed".
Thank you for the commentary. Now I understand. This seems to be the process of destroying the foundation and restoring the slope when the house with the foundation on the side of the sea is destroyed.
I had been under the misapprehension that the artificial slope and the earth were held separately.
When the eight tiles around the artificial slope become a consistent slope, it can no longer be considered an artificial slope. It becomes the natural earth. This is very nice.
I recall noticing earlier that to get to an even higher altitude, one that is indeed stacked like a tower, the surroundings must also rise with it.

Roboron

Is that desirable though? Shouldn't it keep the current landscape instead of "restoring" it? I would expect from the the remove building tool to only remove buildings and not doing extra transformations to the map (specially when it is not able to do so properly  :-X ); there are other tools for that already.

PJMack

Internally, when a building is created on a slope, the "boden_t" ground is deleted and a new flat land type "fundament_t" is created as a foundation of the building.  I suspect the reasoning behind this is that many type of buildings can be built upon a slope however enabling this in simutrans would require many more graphics per building type.  Demolishing a realworld structure built on a hill would leave behind a hill, maybe slightly warped due to filling in of the foundation.  There are, however, realworld examples of where actual earthwork is required, such as for parking lots, fuel tanks or some types of warehouses, where the ground itself would need to be modified, and demolition would still retain the original ground modifications. 

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: Roboron on February 20, 2022, 03:14:19 PMIs that desirable though? Shouldn't it keep the current landscape instead of "restoring" it? I would expect from the the remove building tool to only remove buildings and not doing extra transformations to the map (specially when it is not able to do so properly   ); there are other tools for that already.
As I explained, a house built on a coastal slope has a man-made flat slope, which is a desirable condition as you say. If system leave it flat, the player can easily get a flat slope. Therefore, when player remove it, the restoration process will affect the whole thing, creating a situation like the first one.

What I recently did with extended is to put a condition in this process. This process is not executed when the player removes own extension building. Therefore, the land remains as it is.
I think this concept is also applicable to standard. However, there was a difference in this part of the code since r10118 has not been incorporated yet. Also, recent large changes in file structures have made it difficult to automatically merge between standard and extended.

prissi

You could run "reorganise-code-r10444.sh" also on extended. it was exactly submitted so extended could follow with few changes. You just need to replace "svn mv" to "git mv" in the script.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on February 21, 2022, 01:22:01 AMYou could run "reorganise-code-r10444.sh" also on extended. it was exactly submitted so extended could follow with few changes. You just need to replace "svn mv" to "git mv" in the script.
I am concerned about the impact of running it, since there is a large branch of extended ver 15.0.
Also, the multi-tiling building patch is still not merged from the standard. That's a big task. (And I'm not familiar with that code.)

prissi

It just changes the file locaions. You would need it to run in the branch as well.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on February 21, 2022, 12:59:07 PMIt just changes the file locaions. You would need it to run in the branch as well.
github cannot auto-merge old commits because of incompatibilities between old and new deployments. Other climate-related changes are also not merged yet...