News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

PR#478 - Dividing station handling volume record into 3+1 parts by cargo type

Started by Ranran(retired), January 22, 2022, 02:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

This patch is an extension of the recent transportation measurement patch.
Although simutrans divides the station capacity into three types, so far the cargo handling volume of the halt chart has been a mixture of the three, reducing its usability.
So this patch splits it into three (+1)  parts as the title suggests. Passengers are further torn into visitor and commuter.

Departures and arrivals were separated, but this will be integrated as a handling volume in line with reality.
This means that only one arrival or departure is counted.
So the number of record slots decreases by one and increases by three, so the increase is two.
Passenger and mail are counted by the number of pieces, but cargo is counted by tons.

This patch also affects the minimap and the stoplist.
The minimap transfer is also torn into three categories to improve usability. This means, for example, that we can focus only on the volume of cargo handled. Note that these are last month's values. (Therefore, when testing this, you need to progress through the months to see the data.)

Two display modes and three sorting options will be added to the stop list. In addition, the goods demand display mode adds the display of cargo handling volume.
I find this a bit awkward because there are so many options for display mode and sorting, but I haven't come up with any good ideas for this... (´・ω・`)

The following are the translation terms that will be added, but they will need to be proofread.

Handling mails
Handling goods
pax_handled_last_month
mail_handled_last_month
goods_handled_last_month
The number of visitors that getting on and off
The number of commuters that getting on and off
The number of passengers at the stop last month
The number of mail that handling at the stop last month
The number of goods that handling at the stop last month
Show how many mails are waiting at halts
Show how many goods are waiting at halts

The patch is pull request #478.
I would appreciate any feedback on this patch. Thank you.

EDIT:
One thing I noticed is that minimap's "Queueing" is not very useful in extended.
This is because the amount of cargo accumulated at the end of the month is unstable, easily affected by the timing of convoy departures, and I don't think it is useful as a statistic.
In extended, long accumulated cargo will be discarded. On the other hand, In standard, it doesn't occur, so millions of cargoes often accumulate in the station, and that display is useful because it often scrapes them off little by little.

EDIT2:
Two new translation terms have been added.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

Thank you - this is most interesting.

One thing on which I should like further feedback in relation to this is the extent to which people find the existing arrival/departure distinguished statistics useful. In many cases, the numbers are very similar, but in some cases they can be quite different. I should be grateful for people's views on this point before incorporating this.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on January 22, 2022, 05:59:03 PMOne thing on which I should like further feedback in relation to this is the extent to which people find the existing arrival/departure distinguished statistics useful. In many cases, the numbers are very similar, but in some cases they can be quite different. I should be grateful for people's views on this point before incorporating this.
In Japan, statistics of this kind (especially for passengers) are
(1) Number of boardings and alightings
(2) Number of boardings
In Japan, it is common to use either (1) or (2).
For both (1) and (2), if the passenger does not exit the ticket gate, that is, transfer on the same company's line, it is not counted as a use of the station.
In order to compensate for this,
(3) transit volume
(4) number of transfer passengers
(3) or (4) may be used.

I initially aimed to implement (1) and (4). However, I found that (4) was difficult to implement. Except for the start of the journey, I couldn't distinguish between a transfer at the same station and a walk from another station.
In the current specification, when a transfer is made, it is split into arrival and departure. This is a confusing and disruptive behavior that counts one person's trip twice, and does not occur in the example described above.
For example, build a transit-only station at a wilderness junction. Since there are no buildings around it, all users are transit passengers. In other words, they are just passers-by.
They were only forced to change trains there for the convenience of the transport company.
So the fact that they switched there once is enough. This change will be counted as one use, not two. It does not make sense to split this into two parts. Because the person who gets off must depart.
There is only a time lag where they may cross the moon while waiting. (But it would be better if this time lag were not there either.)
If this is where they end up giving up on their journey, it will be counted as a separate record.
The player needs to see two of them to see how much they've passed, the departure and the arrival, worse than all in one.
And extended journeys are bi-directional, with departures and arrivals tending to show the same values. Integrating them gives a more stable value.
I believe that this statistic demonstrates the validity of the station and that there is no need to divide it into arrivals and departures; one is sufficient.
In the case of goods, the flow is constant. Therefore arrivals and departures can be determined in many cases. And I don't believe there is currently a good enough reason to bother separating it into departures and arrivals.
For example, I wonder if the shipping station next to the farm and the receiving station next to the store need to make a clear distinction between their arrival and departure of goods.
I thought that an indicator of how active a station is, i.e. how many goods it has handled, would be sufficient. But at least it should not mix goods with passengers. That is the intention of this patch.

prissi

I think separating departures/arrivals for passengers, mail, goods would eb helpful for standard as well, especially at factories connected to interchanges. (However, the code between standard and extended has deviated too much to use this patch, I think.)

Ranran(retired)

I have added a further small enhancement to this patch. Chart markers are now classified according to the cargo attributes of the chart.
Since many of the station's chart contents are dependent on specific categories, irrelevant chart buttons are automatically hidden.

Quote from: prissi on January 23, 2022, 01:40:58 AMI think separating departures/arrivals for passengers, mail, goods would eb helpful for standard as well, especially at factories connected to interchanges.
This means it will have a total of 6 recording slots?
One of the reasons I don't want to consume too many slots is that I don't have any ideas at the moment about adding slots for classes. (There are up to 10 classes related to passengers and mail in Extended.)

In any event, whether goods are biased toward arrivals or departures, and whether those factories are operating normally, does not seem to be easy to determine from halt charts alone. They are somewhat complex. And in the interest of consistency with the transport measurement patch, it uses weight for cargo handling volume.
Therefore, if a lot of light cargo arrives and the factory ships a lot of heavy products, they are going to cause confusion.
The type of connected factory (producer or consumer or manufacturer) can be checked in several dialogs.

Quote from: prissi on January 23, 2022, 01:40:58 AM(However, the code between standard and extended has deviated too much to use this patch, I think.)
Yes, I know... (´・ω・`)

EDIT:
If split arrive and depart (currently)

arrival countdeparture count
origin halt-
destination halt-
via halt

combine (this patch)

arrivaldeparturecount as
origin halt-1(or tonnen)
destination halt-1(or tonnen)
via halt1(or tonnen)

prissi

For standard I would rather have at least the waiting separated for passengers/mail/goods. But then in makes sense to also record departures and arrivals separately. If one really has to show them un the statistics, is another matter.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on January 23, 2022, 12:35:25 PMFor standard I would rather have at least the waiting separated for passengers/mail/goods.
So far, I have not made any changes to the "waiting" chart in the recent patch. Indeed, this is the sum of all transport items in all categories.
In my opinion, in extended, waiting values are only needed for real-time values. The number of real-time waits for each category can be checked in detail in some dialogs. (info, list, linamemanagement)
In extended, not all waiting items will be connected to the next transport, and may be discarded due to player negligence. Thus the value for the past month is just a coincidental value for the month switch.
Therefore, I thought it would be better to switch to something else than to split it, but there was no alternative at that stage.
I would appreciate you guys thoughts on this.

EDIT1:
The waiting indicator in minimap is the total value, which I believe refers to the chart record. Should it be trisected with reference to the real time value?

EDIT2:
I will be adding changes regarding EDIT1 to the patch.

Ranran(retired)

I have made the same kind of changes to the minimap in connection with this patch.
Previously, there were waiting and crowding statuses with integrated categories, but these will be merged and divided into three categories. With this consolidation, wait change has been abolished. The reason is as mentioned above. This was also a mix of categories.
The color of the circle used to depend on the maximum volume of the entire world, but now it will change with the number of waiting for that station's category capacity. In other words, a large green circle will be displayed at stations that have sufficient capacity and a lot of waiting. Thus, you can keep track of congestion in station categories at the same time.
This is more convenient in networks view mode.

100% to 110% is red. If it exceeds 110%, it will turn purple. This means that no further journeys starting from this station will begin. This means that the passenger example would start counting "turned away".

As a side effect, the criteria for judging unused stations has changed slightly. The number of cases where a station is used but has a yellow status has been reduced.
For example, a station with only cargo arrivals has always been yellow, but if there are arrivals, the station is still considered active.
Additional changes have been made to further increase the number of translated terms. The first post will be edited.
I would appreciate any feedback on this change. I hope that this patch will improve your gameplay. Thank you. (´・ω・`)

EDIT:
Metamorphoses generated by maturation
- Symbols are now displayed in the combo box indicating the cargo category
- The same name in the minimap legend will be merged instead of being consecutive.

prissi

THe minimap change is probably most useful for standard as well. I will look at it too.

jamespetts

Thank you for your continued work on this. I have now had chance to test this more thoroughly. This is clearly much more useful than the previous arrangement, and nobody has indicated any particular preference to retain the distinction between arrivals/departures, so I have incorporated this and added some translation texts.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

wlindley

All these updates, along with the passenger-km graph showing us a measure of "transportation productivity", are a wonderful step forward in clear, useful statistics.  Thanks to all

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: Ranran on January 25, 2022, 10:06:00 AMEDIT:
Metamorphoses generated by maturation
- Symbols are now displayed in the combo box indicating the cargo category
- The same name in the minimap legend will be merged instead of being consecutive.
There was an omission in reporting the changes to minimap.

The factory legend is linked to the category filter to change the color of unsupported factories.
For example, if you select bulk goods, the unrelated factory color bar will lose its frame and the text color will be weakened.

Ranran(retired)

The number of digits in the previous month's cargo handling volume display in the stop list was incorrect. Pull request #493 will fix it.

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on February 12, 2022, 10:37:20 PM
The number of digits in the previous month's cargo handling volume display in the stop list was incorrect. Pull request #493 will fix it.

Now incorporated (yesterday): thank you.