News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Your strategy - pak128 and pak128 Britain

Started by Antonin, May 13, 2022, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonin

Because this is the part of the forum for discussing game strategy, I am curious to hear the strategies other players use. Especially for pak128 and pak128 Britain.

I have played Simutrans for a long time, but I have never been very successful at running a transport company. I play using the beginner's setting. I always begin in the 1950s, because I was born in the 1950s. If I have a large city I begin with a bus line connecting points within that city. Then I create a bus line from that city to a nearby small town. Then I create a bus line that connects the first small town to another small town. Etc etc.

If I don't have a large city I create a chain of bus lines connecting small towns. I buy small buses with a low maintenance cost.

But after a few game months my bus stops are very crowded. I add buses to handle the extra passengers. Soon, I am losing a lot of money. Eventually I add truck lines to move products around, but not long after that I am losing so much money it's useless to continue, so I just start a new game.

I have a lot of fun playing Simutrans, but I'm not very good at it and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe expanding too fast? I don't know. I watch YouTube videos where players have large, beautiful transport networks, but I wonder how they do it.

I downloaded Simutrans-Extended recently, but I read that it has a "steep learning curve," so maybe it is not a good idea to even try to play it.

So I am interested to hear the formula for success that other players follow.

Spenk009

It's difficult to pick out where you're going wrong without seeing a savegame or some screenshots. Unlike many other games in the genre, Simutrans simulates a passenger's entire journey over the entire map with transfers. This means that you'll be best off trying to build an interconnected network of services, as this increases where passengers (and goods) can go. Maybe try separating short local services within a city from cross-country. Set up a stop with more than one platform connected to each other and connect lines there.

I would suggest you stay on Standard for now, get used to the user interface and how the mechanics work.

makie

Antonin

Thank you for the replies. What strategies do you use? 

Matthew

Quote from: Antonin on May 13, 2022, 08:18:05 PMBecause this is the part of the forum for discussing game strategy, I am curious to hear the strategies other players use. Especially for pak128 and pak128 Britain.

I don't play those paksets, but I have some suggestions.

QuoteI have played Simutrans for a long time, but I have never been very successful at running a transport company. I play using the beginner's setting. I always begin in the 1950s, because I was born in the 1950s. If I have a large city I begin with a bus line connecting points within that city. Then I create a bus line from that city to a nearby small town. Then I create a bus line that connects the first small town to another small town. Etc etc.

If I don't have a large city I create a chain of bus lines connecting small towns. I buy small buses with a low maintenance cost.

This sounds like you are doing all the right things at the start.

QuoteBut after a few game months my bus stops are very crowded. I add buses to handle the extra passengers. Soon, I am losing a lot of money. Eventually I add truck lines to move products around, but not long after that I am losing so much money it's useless to continue, so I just start a new game.

Based on this thread, it seems that Standard pak128.Britain is poor balanced or not balanced at all in places, so it may not be your fault at all. If you want to help rebalance the pakset, you can join Prissi's effort in that thread.

QuoteI have a lot of fun playing Simutrans, but I'm not very good at it and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe expanding too fast? I don't know. I watch YouTube videos where players have large, beautiful transport networks, but I wonder how they do it.

With respect to YouTubers, it's worth bearing in mind that people play Simutrans for different reasons. Some people are 'detailers': they want to make beautiful scenes for screenshots and streaming. They are not that interested in making a profit. They use Simutrans as the digital equivalent of a model railway. Are you watching videos made by detailers? That might explain why their experience is much more positive than yours. They just have different goals.

Other people are min-maxers. They view Simutrans primarily as a game: they want to maximize their profits within the rules (or exploit loopholes within the roles!). If that is you, you might want to switch to a better-balanced pakset. I wouldn't exactly say that...

Quote from: makie on May 15, 2022, 03:29:56 PMpak128.german is easier.

...but it is much better balanced in my experience. I suspect pak128.japan and pak192.comic might also be better balanced as they are played more actively.

A third type of player are 'role-players'. We want to try to simulate historical networks, including the economic aspects. This is where Extended excels. The development of pak128.Britain has been stalled for many years because the creators were largely role-players and moved over to pak128.Britain-Ex.

QuoteI downloaded Simutrans-Extended recently, but I read that it has a "steep learning curve," so maybe it is not a good idea to even try to play it.

I agree that it has a steep learning curve. But if you like pak128.Britain, it might be what you're looking for. So I would concur that:

Quote from: Spenk009 on May 15, 2022, 02:08:46 PMI would suggest you stay on Standard for now, get used to the user interface and how the mechanics work.

Having come to that conclusion, at the weekend I tried to think about how to make that path easier. I have put up some suggested goals for players using Standard en route to Extended. It sounds like you are nearing the end of that journey, so when you are ready, do give Extended a try! There is plenty of help available here and on the Discord server since the Extended community is active in both places.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Matthew

Quote from: Antonin on May 16, 2022, 10:40:19 AMThank you for the replies. What strategies do you use?

Antonin, we have crossposted.... You may have noticed no one is exactly answering your simple question. I should say clearly that this is because none of the people who have posted so far play Standard pak128 or pak128.Britain, so it is very uncertain whether our strategies would work in those paksets. For example, in 1950s pak128.Britain-Ex you can profitably combine inter-city coach routes with bus routes inside cities, but you want to switch those to trains and trams respectively when you can afford it, because all the roads will become horribly congested by private cars in the late 1960s. But that might be terrible advice for your paksets.....
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

PJMack

It has also been a while since I played the non-extended version, but I have some points that should apply to both standard and extended.

One thing to note is that for some paksets, the difficulty may change with the timeline.  In some paksets, the cost of infrastructure construction and maintenance is lower in earlier years, but vehicle speeds and signaling technology is better in the later years. 

Initial map settings may also make things rather easy or difficult, and for some paksets the defaults may not be ideal.  I would recommend looking elsewhere in the forum for the map settings of the servers.

For a map with multiple continents, islands or groups of cities, it may be better to concentrate on building a passenger network completely on one before expanding to another.  A single full sized network would likely have more profit than two half sized networks as the possible passenger source->destination combinations increases exponentially with network size.