News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[GUI] Overhaul of convoy detail

Started by Ranran(retired), June 25, 2022, 03:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

I have created an overhaul patch for convoy detail with the goal of implementation in ver 15.

At this stage, I have not added the parameters of ver15, so it can be merged into the master branch. But it may be a little incomplete.
However, I believe this new convoy detail dialog will be useful in ver15.

Overview:
The tab structure is tidy and reorganized.

The first tab will add maintenance information.
Staff and overhaul information will also be placed here.
You may be able to use it as the maintainer of the vehicle.

The second tab is the loading information tab. This is a break from the notepad style and is now more graphical. Added information depth option.
You can pick up the data as if you were a conductor or operator.  :police:

The third tab is the same physical chart tab as before. Suitable for nerds who like physics.  ;) 

The fourth tab has been reborn as a spec table. Suitable for geeks who like to collect catalogs. Side view mode will captivate train otaku.  :-*
This is still somewhat experimental. You can switch between two types of tables.
I think that fuel consumption data will also be added here. Some maintenance information will also be added.
I think this can be very useful for debugging.

I'm not throwing a pull request because I don't think it needs to be merged into the master.
The branch is here.
https://github.com/Ranran-the-JuicyPork/simutrans-extended/tree/2206-overhaul-of-convoydetail
This branch contains changes up to PR #556. It also uses the comfort symbol.

I would appreciate if you could give me your opinion on this. Thanks in advance. See you at the next pigsty. (´・ω・`)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

wlindley

Wonderful! Especially the ability to adjust class for each carriage, long awaited!

Matthew

I really like these changes, Ranran! They are really well designed.

The best part is making Maintenance the first tab, so that it opens first. This saves me many clicks when retiring/withdrawing units.

A small bug: at the moment the Details button in the Depot Window is always greyed out. Maybe you are waiting for ex-15 to fix this?

QuoteThis is still somewhat experimental. You can switch between two types of tables.

Why not just make two separate tabs? The switch just means one extra click to get to the payload_spec information. I cannot think of any disadvantages to another tab. The tab list is not very wide (at least in English), so there is enough space.

QuoteI think that fuel consumption data will also be added here. Some maintenance information will also be added.

The range information has been added here, which is very helpful.

The information that I would most like to see in this Spec tab is the Routing Permissions: "MUST USE: Waterway", "MAY USE: Ship canal", etc. At the moment, some of this information is only available in the Depot Window. But when vehicles go out of production, the information is no longer available in the depot. It is also not displayed in the Available Vehicle List. Some routing information ("can this convoy use DC as well as AC electric tracks?") is not displayed anywhere in the game. When a vehicle has No Route, the screen fills with annoying error windows, but the only way to get this information is to look in the .dat file. ???

You could argue that the logical place for this information is the Available Vehicle List, because it is the same for all vehicles of the type. But that is true for many other items in the Convoy Detail Spec tab. And the Routing Permissions are too long to fit neatly into the small Available Vehicle List. I think it would be very helpful to add a "Routing" tab to the Convoy Detail windows, so that we can open it quickly when a convoy has No Route.

QuoteI'm not throwing a pull request because I don't think it needs to be merged into the master.

You mean that it should be merged into ex-15 first, then master later, right?

Am I right in thinking that this branch and #566 are purely GUI changes? If so, then I can use them in online games without causing desynchs, which might help find bugs.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: Matthew on June 26, 2022, 04:50:48 AMYou mean that it should be merged into ex-15 first, then master later, right?

Am I right in thinking that this branch and #566 are purely GUI changes? If so, then I can use them in online games without causing desynchs, which might help find bugs.
Unfortunately, with major changes, it's virtually impossible to incorporate this into master branch. (´・ω・`)
As I said in the first post, this is still incomplete in the testing stage and I don't have time to adjust it for the master branch given the time of a lot of work on UI for ver15.

Ranran(retired)

Pull request #641 brings improvements for Ex15 into Ex14 as were done to the schedule editor.
But like the schedule editor, players get early improvements and we get early feedback.

I previously tried to submit this change here for version 14.x.
However, I decided not to do so in order to move on to work on Ex15 and reduce the amount of work.
but this improvement is already included in ex-15 branch.
The explanation of the dialog is explained in this thread at the time.

Convoy detail will be improved to make it easier to obtain information on vehicle specifications.
This is because extended has many spec items, and ex15 will have even more spec items, so there was concern that the dialog would become even more difficult to read.
However, unnecessary changes to Ex14 have been removed in this patch.

jamespetts

Excellent, thank you for this. One query, if I may: there is an item in the table by the name of "rated speed". I do not think that this concept is used in the 14.x branch if I have understood what you mean by it correctly. Is this not the thing used in the 15.x branch to determine the base speed for the calculation of fuel consumption?

Apologies if I have misunderstood what this refers to. If I have misunderstood, I should be grateful if you could let me know what you intended this to mean so that I can choose a clearer English translation text. Thank you.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on March 03, 2024, 03:44:18 PMExcellent, thank you for this. One query, if I may: there is an item in the table by the name of "rated speed". I do not think that this concept is used in the 14.x branch if I have understood what you mean by it correctly. Is this not the thing used in the 15.x branch to determine the base speed for the calculation of fuel consumption?
"Rated speed" is generally a characteristic of electric motors, but in simutrans extended all power has the same characteristics as electric motors.
This property was once coded by Bernd Gabriel. So from that point on, this concept exists in Simutrans Extended.

(However, it must be noted that in the real world this is a characteristic limited to electric motors. Please note that steam power and engines in real world have completely different characteristics. That difference is not reproduced in extended.)

This element gives meaning to the player's choice of power vehicle, and is also a feature of extended.
These values are often used to represent the specifications of power vehicles. And it is still displayed like this as of current version of extended.

This is an important value that allows player to know the characteristics of a vehicle by checking this value even if the vehicle has the same power output.
It tells us the speed the motor is good at. This is the speed when the motor is at its rated rotation speed, and if the gear ratio is tuned toward high speed, such as in an express vehicle, this value will be high, but the traction force will be low.
In contrast, trains such as commuter trains and freight locomotives, where acceleration and traction are more important than speed, are geared for lower speeds, resulting in lower rated speeds but higher traction.

In other words, just like in the real world, it is desirable for players to select a power vehicle that is appropriate for their purpose, and rated speed is an indicator of this. The same was true when choosing horses to pull carriages/wagons in ancient era.

Generally, in the real world, motor vehicles exhibit a constant acceleration until they reach this rated speed.

For example, the vehicle shown in the image uses a motor with a rated speed of 48km/h, so it exhibits constant acceleration up to 48km/h.
When the rated speed (rated speed of the motor) is exceeded, the traction force gradually decreases and the acceleration also decreases.
Such properties are also coded by Bernd Gabriel.

Even in the current version, "rated speed" helps players choose the most suitable power vehicle for their application.
This concept is expressed in Japan as "定格速度", which literally translates into English as "rated speed," but I don't know if that is the correct expression.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a parameter that represents motor performance. Therefore, it is placed near power and tractor force.
By comparing it with the maximum speed, player can also use it as a reference to determine whether the tuning is for high speed or low speed.

I found a crashing bug in this branch today, so I fixed it.

Milko

Quote from: Ranran(retired) on March 04, 2024, 02:05:20 PM"Rated speed" is generally a characteristic of electric motors, but in simutrans extended all power has the same characteristics as electric motors.
This property was once coded by Bernd Gabriel. So from that point on, this concept exists in Simutrans Extended.

Same problem also for jet aircraft, where instead of power we should talk about thrust.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

That is very helpful, thank you. The term "rated speed" gave the impression that the speed in question would be the maximum speed or even the optimum speed, which I do not think is quite correct. Rather, it is the speed up to which the vehicle deploys maximum tractive effort. I have therefore modified the translation texts in English to reflect this, and also taken the opportunity to clarify in all other mentions of tractive effort that this represents maximum tractive effort. 

I have now incorporated this. Thank you very much for your work.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.