News:

Beta test the new forum at https://simutrans.forum/
Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Text filter on the vehicle list dialog

Started by Ranran, July 09, 2022, 03:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran

I wondered that most list dialogs and the depot dialog has a name text filter, but the vehicle list doesn't. It would be convenient to have it.
Please forgive me for posting as an extension request as I don't have time to double my coding time. (´・ω・`)
But this is a relatively simple implementation, so anyone who can help with this should be able to help.

prissi

The problem is that on developed games any keystroke will rebuild the list, which takes several seconds. Since this is entirely inside the GUI code (as of now), the whole game would stop for every keystroke (and then try to catch up on servers). Adding is easy, but useful execution is difficult.

Maybe the list feature needs to avoid recalculation of sizes until finishing updating a list. Not sure, how easy this would be. I think one would need a lot deferred_add_component calls added to the list interface.

Ranran

Quote from: prissi on July 09, 2022, 05:37:05 AMThe problem is that on developed games any keystroke will rebuild the list, which takes several seconds
Thank you for explaining the current specifications.

Quote from: prissi on July 09, 2022, 05:37:05 AMMaybe the list feature needs to avoid recalculation of sizes until finishing updating a list. Not sure, how easy this would be. I think one would need a lot deferred_add_component calls added to the list interface.
Or I think there is a way to not run the filter until you press enter, the same as google search. It could be a player's intuitive behavior, as is the case with google search, although it is different from the present.
Even in the excel example, the search is not executed until the search execution button is pressed.