News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Android game play UI problem

Started by Mishasama, June 08, 2022, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mishasama

The windows button is still too small even using the "large" theme.
I can't press the button easily.

If try to scale it. The window will be too big to display. And can't be resize because it was out of screen.
Screenshot_20220609-035401__01.jpg

Maybe we have to redesign the theme for phone play.
Because of some reason. I am looking for volunteers who can help me update the Pak64.Nightly.

I'm helping to build the Chinese community for now.
如果您是使用中文的玩家,歡迎到這裏尋找同好或張貼您們組織的聯係方式。
如果你是中文玩家,欢迎来这个帖子里找组织或者贴出你们的联系方式。

prissi

Simutrans is not built for such low height screen. The GUI will fail if it has not ~700 pixel at least. If the phone is maximum 1400, then 200% magnification is the sensible maximum.

From the start it is clear that Simutrans will have a hard time on tiny screen.

Yona-TYT

It's tricky, because if the icons or buttons are made bigger, then windows like the ones in the depot would get extremely big and go out of bounds on the screen.

Simutrans displays a lot of technical information, and this makes the windows huge.

The only thing that occurs to me would be to make a simplified interface for mobile devices.

I'll take the vlc player as an example, due to the huge number of functions and settings, they chose to add a simple mode and an advanced mode in their settings, so maybe it's a good idea to do the same in simutrans?.

Ranran(retired)

I think that displaying the current date and time, player company name, amount of money, coordinates, etc. in a horizontal row may be a problem when playing on a smartphone.

Some people may want to play on a portrait screen on their smartphones.

I think we can solve that by making it a multi-line display like the design of the gadget that displays the date and time on desktop and smartphones. It may be useful to have a small button to stop the time or double the speed.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

prissi

I thought of that as well, but SDL2 does not allow to switch between orientations. I am not sure why, because SDL2 itself can handle resolution changes, but the SDL2 Android stays always at langscape.

Roboron

When I played on the pinephone, the game switched between landscape and portrait naturally. It is odd that Android can not do that. Which version of SDL2 are we using on Android?

prissi

Maybe I found a solution ... lets test.

r10672 allows landscape and portrait as well.

blu.256

May I make a suggestion:

Most Android games don't quite have the concept of windows. The "windows" they open are usually fullscreen, or modals. So what if Simutrans on Android was to have a mode where toolboxes would be modal (pop up on a side of the screen when the respective button on the toolbar is clicked and then go away) and dialogs full-screen? It would surely make gameplay on phones easier. As for tablets, they could retain the classic windowed mode. This would make title bars on phones unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, the normal Simutrans UI rocks on a computer; it's okay on a tablet; it's problematic on a smartphone, though. :-|

prissi

While certainly true, it is almost impossible to have a new GUI developed. Fullscreen dialogues are possible, but the GUI is not made for this. For instance, to see a train in a station first click on stations then click again. Or starting a convoi from a depot involves at least two dialogs. Or the list opens a dialog. It would be very tedious if one has to open and scroll the list again.

The GUI is simply not designed for single dialog usage.

blu.256

I know that this is probably too much to do at this point. Even so, it's nice that an Android port exists. I personally was shocked at the news when I learnt them. Thank you so much ;D

Roboron

Maybe it can be workaround with the help of windows collapsing. When opening a new dialog, the previous collapses, until the new is closed?

Mishasama

Quote from: Roboron on July 01, 2022, 09:56:50 PMMaybe it can be workaround with the help of windows collapsing. When opening a new dialog, the previous collapses, until the new is closed?
What about add a windows list like the Chrome tabs list?
Maybe like the desktop version, or maybe like the phone version with tab groups function. 
I think this is also good for the PC gameplay. 
Because of some reason. I am looking for volunteers who can help me update the Pak64.Nightly.

I'm helping to build the Chinese community for now.
如果您是使用中文的玩家,歡迎到這裏尋找同好或張貼您們組織的聯係方式。
如果你是中文玩家,欢迎来这个帖子里找组织或者贴出你们的联系方式。

Roboron

It is not a bad idea and it would solve the problem of having to click twice on a tile to see the information you really were looking for.