News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Compiling Simutrans on recent Debian-based distros may need extra packages

Started by Matthew, May 27, 2022, 06:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Today I tried to compile Simutrans-Extended on Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish for the first time. It initially failed because the linker couldn't find certain files.

The fix is to install the libdrm-dev, libgbm-dev, and libdecor-0-dev packages.

I think this is a bug with Ubuntu (and actually everything downstream of Debian), not Simutrans, so I have started a discussion in a more appropriate forum. But if anyone thinks it's a Simutrans issue (or can see that I've just made a newbie error, which is very possible!) then please do speak up.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Roboron

Matthew

Quote from: Roboron on May 27, 2022, 03:32:16 PMYes, it looks like bug with Ubuntu's libsdl2-dev package.

Thank you. With this encouragement, I reported it to Ubuntu and Debian and the SDL2 maintainer confirmed that it's a packaging bug that will be corrected.

However, he also asked,

QuoteIs this software linking to SDL statically? As far as I can see from the
pkg-config file, these are going to be required for static linking but not
for the more typical dynamic linking to shared libraries.

This output of readelf -d seems to indicate that it is dynamically linked:
0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: [libSDL2-2.0.so.0]
The output of ldd --dyn-syms also has many SDL functions.

So I think this evidence proves that my Sim-Ex executable is dynamically linked to SDL2, but I am open to correction.

However, in pondering this, I also noticed that my config.default file (attached) has STATIC = 1. According to the comment, this means "use static linking (to be at least somewhat portable)". I tried compiling with this parameter set to 0 and 1, and I get the same readelf output and file size in both cases.
I also noticed that libpthreads is not dynamically linked even though MULTI_THREAD = 1 and BUNDLE_PTHREADGC2 = 0.

So it seems as though config.default is either ignored or I have made a mistake somewhere.

If it's the first case, then I will open a bug report in the Extended subforum, but if anyone can see or suggest something that I might have done wrong, then I would be grateful.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Roboron

Setting STATIC=1 is in fact ignored on linux. Prissi made some changes to Standard some months ago that "fixed" this, but even then, I was not able to compile on my system. Static linking is strongly discouraged on linux, so you are better forgetting about it.

More information on the relevant thread: https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,21324.msg198980.html