News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Simutrans.com/org outage

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, March 21, 2023, 05:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

This morning I became aware that simutrans.com/.org domains/subdomains were not reachable. After some investigation, it turns out it was related to me having to let one of my long-time domains (pc2.io) go (the cost increased from ~$30/yr to >$50/yr, and since I am not in business anymore, that's a hobby cost I just can't justify).

Alas, I had forgotten that some domains still used ns1.pc2.io/ns2.pc2.io for nameservers, meaning that when Namecheap shut down the domain and put it in "grace" mode  (meaning I can still get it back if I pay), the IPs for anything using it for nameservers got changed to Namecheap parking.

So it was not a squatter who took control, merely the registrar.

I have updated the nameservers for all domains using that nameserver, although it will take some time for 1. your internet service provider to see the change and 2. for your browser's cache to expire letting you get the changed IP address

So technically the server was up all this time and other sites on the server were available, but nobody could access Simutrans sites.

I should note that the best way to contact me is on Telegram: https://t.me/+qyXbL_jLR1NjYjUx — that is a Simutrans channel linked to a discussion group.

I am infrequently in our Discord and do not receive alerts of any kind there.

Yona-TYT

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Yona-TYT on March 21, 2023, 09:14:56 PMDo You use WhatsApp?.

Alas, I do not.

Email is a fallback, as well as Facebook (although I sometimes don't notice Facebook for a bit, I generally check it once or twice per day at least, and often notice notifications, just not 100%)

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Isaac Eiland-Hall on March 22, 2023, 12:27:40 AMAlas, I do not.
Email is a fallback, as well as Facebook (although I sometimes don't notice Facebook for a bit, I generally check it once or twice per day at least, and often notice notifications, just not 100%)
Facebook has me in its sights!, every time I make a comment it reports me as inappropriate (no matter what I say), so because of that I have moved to twitter.