News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Sad to know the old forum data is lost

Started by TheUniqueTiger, August 24, 2008, 11:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheUniqueTiger

Hello friends,
Its sad to know that the old forum data could not be used with the new forum... (I lost my account too, but on re-registering I now know, all of you have joined again!)

Anyway I'm glad this forum is at least up and continues to be the center point for Simutrans.

Good luck! :)

vilvoh

Fortunately, the data isn't lost. Timothy made a complete backup of it. You can acces to all stuff in archive.forum.simutrans.com

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

TheUniqueTiger

Oh then why is the forum looking all new then? Just curious to know! :)

Lmallet

Timothy wrote a script that simplifies the old forum, since it only has to display static pages now.  This way, the archived version of the forum takes a lot less space.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Lmallet on August 24, 2008, 04:28:31 PM
a lot less space.

More important: less traffic (harddisk space was never an issue).

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Lmallet

TheUniqueTiger

The archive idea is good to reduce the traffic with static pages. It seems strange to see a forum start over all again, which we have been accustomed to all these days! Nevertheless the admins and Timothy did a remarkable job! :)

DirrrtyDirk

Oh well, it's not that someone just to decided "oh let's just start over again"  ;)

It had to be done, and Isaac, Hellmade and Timothy tried to get to the best solution under the given circumstances. And, as you said: they did a good job at that.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

prissi

Also the old forum could not be backuped. Thus, sooner or later a loss would have come anyway ...

Ashley

Yes indeed, Isaac had not been able to make a backup of the old forum for some months (and thus it would've been impossible to move to a new server), making a static archive was the only option, sadly the lack of time meant that this had to be done in quite a quick manner.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.