News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Append ignores timeline

Started by Severous, May 22, 2009, 11:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severous

Hi

Pak 64 V102.  Timeline is on.

Its year 1810.  Shipyards list only one type of barge..'logs'. Available 1471 to 1920.  But there is no ship to pull it so I cannot use them.

But if I press 'append' I get a Tugboat (steam). These have a stated availability of 1880 to 1920. The steam tug had not been present anywhere on the shipyard build orders. That's not supposed to happen in 1810. 

I can now tow logs around behind a steam tug. I should make a fortune for inventing a steam tug so early...wheres the patent office.

Apologies if this is a known bug..I couldn't see it in a search of the known bug forum.

Regards
Regards
Sev.

prissi

This is autocompletion. It is probably best solved by offering the logs only from 1880 on.

whoami

What about letting the logs float down the rivers all by themselves? Now imagine that ships are also influenced by the drift: upstream, the speed is lower (use friction mechanism for that? negative friction for downstream? the river would also have to trigger some kind of power for the convoi) => Extension request.

For pulling barges in earlier times, horses were used (not in the water itself, of course). That's a little difficult to implement, but a rowing boat could be introduced with small capacity (on small rivers).

prissi

Even objects with no power will move to their destination with whopping 1/16th of their max speed, in this case with 1km/h. I think the would would have been rotten before arrival then.

micslu

Quote from: prissi on May 25, 2009, 07:59:53 PM
Even objects with no power will move to their destination with whopping 1/16th of their max speed, in this case with 1km/h. I think the would would have been rotten before arrival then.

OFF TOPIC: Oh! so this explains the creepy locomotive-less trains that were very slowly moving, after I forgot to include the add-on locomotives into the upgraded pak version. First I thought there was hidden zombie feature!

Severous

Thanks for the explanation. I hope someone might correct this append/autocompletion code in future releases.

For now I've resisted the temptation to breach the time line. I'm not using the tug boats.  I did however try to float the logs alone.  But alas I get an error message saying this combination cannot drive.

Talk of 'just logs' got me thinking about 'just oxen'. Ive lost count of the number of times I've been too careless with build orders and sent horse/oxen teams out without cart/stagecoach.  They have good acceleration but earn nothing and look silly when running around without carts.  Worst case was copying the convoy on 50 log carts and not noticing until days later that all were made without carts..just oxen. :-)
Regards
Sev.

whoami

Normally, so-called "constraints" should be coded into the vehicles to prevent this.

Regarding floating logs: they can't be used without a tug boat etc. due to ST's constraints mechanism, which is used to make sure that no powerless convoy is released. The additional idea that I outlined was to get power from the river; instead of friction, the river could introduce a speed offset (positive in one direction, negative in the opposite direction, neutral for the others), to influence any water vehicle. The speed offset would depend on the number of slopes that the river passes on its complete way, and the river's length.

edit: typo