News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Weight restrictions signs proposal

Started by EnternalD, May 29, 2009, 02:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnternalD

Simutrans experimental is deepest aproach to real world transport simulation, I had ever seen. :police: All features are great except some of them is missing some minor improvement (I'm not excepting something extraordinary, because it is Experimental Simutrans version anyway). My proposal would be:
1. to create city weight restriction signs for road vehicles (at city weight limit, because other roads are manually built and weight limits should be left for player attention) (allows redirection to another roads),
or
2 to optimise road in time calculation with overweight factor and make vehicle to choose the fastest road (this feature would be heavy to implement so I don't think it's valid or usable).

jamespetts

EternalD,

thank you for your suggestions and for your interest in Simutrans-Experimental! I am very glad that you like it. In fact, if you set the weight limit settings in simuconf.tab to enforce weight limits strictly, all vehicles will be prevented from using roads, tracks, etc., for which they are too heavy. Even what that is not set, however, vehicles already do check to see whether any ways have too low a weight limit, and strongly try to avoid them if they can.

I am aware that there are a number of city 'buses in Pak128 that are too heavy for the city roads in Pak128. This comes about because Pak128 was built for Simutrans-Standard, not Simutrans-Experimental, and Simutrans-Standard does not have a full implementation of weight limits (although there is an unused ability to specify the weight limits of ways, which is built on to make a working feature in Simutrans-Experimental). For that reason, there are some difficulties with town 'buses in Pak128. This could be solved by the authors of Pak128 (unfortunately, it is not yet entirely open source, so it cannot be solved by anyone who is not on the Pak128 team).

There are a number of Simutrans-Experimental compatible paksets in development: see here for details. Those should have weight limits better calibrated when they are finished, and avoid that problem.

Thank you again for your feedback; I hope that you continue to enjoy Simutrans-Experimental :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.