News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Mothballing without changes to the code

Started by jamespetts, June 12, 2009, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Apologies if this is not the right forum for this suggestion: it is in the nature of an extension request, but directed at pakset authors rather than the coders; but is not specific to any one pakset.

There are circumstances in which it might be useful to mothball, rather than destroy, a section of road or rail, in order that it can be re-instated later without concern of it being built over in the meantime, or because one's company is out of funds and cannot afford to remove it, but simply wishes to cease maintaining it.

This feature could be achieved simply by adding mothballed versions of roads, rails, tramways, etc., to each pakset: they would have a maximum speed (and, in Simutrans-Experimental, maximum weight) of zero, and thus be unusable. They would also, however, have a zero building cost and a zero maintenance cost. They could be over-built on existing ways using the CTRL+lay method (how does that work with the modern dragging system where CTRL is used as a straightness constraint?), and then re-upgraded to a serviceable type when conditions improve.

Edit: Oops - I had meant to post this in "Simutrans discussion" and must have clicked the wrong link: terribly sorry. Can a moderator move it, perhaps? Thank you :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

VS

So in other words, a "fake" way with 0 cost, 0 maintenance and 0 speed?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

This would have the inconvenient you would have to pay again construction cost when you want to re-use the normal track, am I right?

gerw

Quote from: jamespetts on June 12, 2009, 10:15:56 AM
They could be over-built on existing ways using the CTRL+lay method (how does that work with the modern dragging system where CTRL is used as a straightness constraint?), and then re-upgraded to a serviceable type when conditions improve.
The new dragging system hasn't changed this behaviour. With CTRL you trigger both, straight tracks and building over faster tracks.

Quote from: Zeno on June 12, 2009, 11:06:12 AM
This would have the inconvenient you would have to pay again construction cost when you want to re-use the normal track, am I right?
Yes.

jamespetts

Quote from: Zeno on June 12, 2009, 11:06:12 AM

Just as in real life ;-)

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Zeno

Quote from: jamespetts on June 12, 2009, 02:24:51 PM
Just as in real life ;-)
Nah... IRL it should be less; probably a half or so. Usually you don't have to re-buy all materials and you can repair existent rails, which isn't so expensive; unless you forget about it during 10 or 15 years...
Anyway, I can accept re-purchase as unmothball :P

jamespetts

Well, you still wouldn't have to rebuild your cuttings and embankments...

V813

Will the pathfinder still direct vehicles through that "mothballed road"? Will citycars still go into them?
Of course, even so it will be possible to remove the junctions the "mothballed road" has with the real roads.

Another problem would be the automatic conversion to cityroad...
V813
Simutrans newbie.

VS

Regarding route search, that's exactly why speed for such way must be set to 0.

Citycars - no idea. Cityroads - if the city wants them, it can take them. It's probably more interesting for waytypes that cost more, like high speed tracks, canals...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!