News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Poll: Simutrans challenge features

Started by vilvoh, June 29, 2009, 09:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

As we all have checked that the Rogaland Challenge is a success,  I'm trying to gather a team in order to revive an old Simutrans community challenge called SimuMagnate (that's all I can say, If you search a bit in the archive, you'll figure out more)..but first of all, I would like your opinion about what's the main feature that defines a good challenge.

P.S: In case you vote for "Some of the previous" option, you must point out which ones.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Severous

Hi

I voted some of the previous:
- Set of criteria to determine winner. That's the purpose of a challenge. Jury there in case of need.
- Support timeline (although not essential if we stipulate only certain vehicles be used as part of the challenge)
- Story & map adds atmosphere but not as important as the map/vehicles fitting a well crafted set of criteria

I would also add..
- encouragement to foreign speaking players to join in.  More the merrier.
- regular progress summaries based on information posted on the forum
- a set of 'fair play' rules. Outlaw the worst exploits...or put limits on them.
Regards
Sev.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Encouragement for the international community to join in is particularly good -- we'd need multilingual volunteers to translate things to go between the communities...

If this idea takes off, it might be helpful to have a board for it - if only to make it truly international (and then the rules would be "speak your native language, and if you can, provide translations in whichever other languages you speak" -- but screenshots would be the base form of communication :)

Collaboration across the barriers of language? Sounds awesome. :D

Matthi205

The thing in creating a challenge for different paksets is a good idea,but it's (sadly) unmakeable.The map would always be different in some way.
The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

vilvoh

Well, the sense of that would be to create a different map for each pakset but based on similar goals, as you pointed out.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Severous

For an interesting challenge I would download the relevant pak set. 

A scenario based on PAK128britian might be a good idea for a September challenge for instance. Gives time for the set to be released and bugs ironed out...and for us to have another challenge done and dusted during August.
Regards
Sev.

Matthi205

Quote from: Severous on July 02, 2009, 06:18:53 PM
A scenario based on PAK128britian might be a good idea for a September challenge for instance. Gives time for the set to be released and bugs ironed out...and for us to have another challenge done and dusted during August.

Starting year?Pak128Britain contains a MASS of vehicles.
The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

jamespetts

For the initial release, I suggest a starting year of no earlier than 1830. The set is eventually planned to support a starting year of 1750, but that will require canal barges, which have not been done yet.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthi205

Better would be exactly the year on which bus depots become available.

hApo

I think 1930 will be a good startyear for standard pak128.

Matthi205

depends heavily on the challenge.1950 is the best medium starting year for pak 128,1980 for pak64 and 1940 for pak.german.