News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Dispatch / Multiple Lines Sharing convoys

Started by mwoodburn81, July 06, 2009, 03:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwoodburn81

I think it would be cool if you could build a special 'dispatch' building attached to a station/stop where when you click on it, it lets you to group together lines that serve that station that are allowed to share convoys.

After which, when a convoy arrives at the station where there is already an other convoy a part of the same line still waiting for full load of goods AND the the line in which those convoys belong too is apart of a group of lines that is allowed to share equipment, THEN the dispatch building will reassign the newly arriving convoy to the line in the group with the most goods waiting for it.

This will allow for less idle equipment and less need to micromanage convoys when you have a variable amount of goods needed to be transported (e.g. if a factory becomes full) and therefore allow you to focus more on designing your network, and enjoying other aspects of the game.  

Edit: Alternatively, rather than checking if there is already a convoy of the same line waiting, simply just have dispatch change the convoys line if there is not enough goods waiting for it for a full load.  And then when the convoy returns to the station, have it switch back to it's default line if there is goods waiting for it. 

gerw

Imho, this is easier implemented by conditional schedules like in OTTD (they are called conditional orders). But last time I saw the GUI, it was really messy and far away from usability...

prissi

Why leaving more than one convois waiting at all? If this happens, then you have to many convois running anyway on that destinations. The factory output evens out. ANd if you have only a single good, then just use a single plattform. In Simutrans those ridiculous large plattforms of OpenTTD are rather useless and expensive. BEtter let you trains waiting on the track.

mwoodburn81

I guess I just need to make some of my more urban waiting areas a little bigger.

The main is with my trucks at some urban inter-modal
"freight yards"   where I don't have a lot of room for waiting areas.  Switching a couple of the busier lines to train service (which runs in tunnels underground)  has helped traffic on top.

For freight I usually don't have more than one platform per outbound line plus one inbound platform.