News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Pak128.Britain Screenshots

Started by The Hood, July 08, 2009, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

As pak128.Britain is now released, we need to update screenshots on the simutrans website pakset gallery.  I thought I'd open it up to competition to see who can make the best screenshots.  This is the thread...

jamespetts

Here is my contribution, all taken from the demo.sve saved game that comes with PakBritain:

(Right click and select "view image" to see the full size)

A 'bus by a bridge

A mainline railway station

Another mainline railway station

Seafront trams

Civil engineering of which Brunel would have been proud.

To all other users of PakBritain: do upload your best screenshots - it'd be lovely to see what people do with this excellent pakset!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Maragil

Here are my bridges, looking very picturesque.

2 Steam Trains crossing, with the intercity bus underneath.

Civil Engineering Brunel would of been even more proud of.

H./

jamespetts

Maragil,

excellent to see your screenshots!

Maragil

Do we know when The Hood is gonna be back... I really want to use the latest version :P

H./

jamespetts

I don't, I'm afraid. Patience is a virtue ;-) In the meantime, have you considered contributing to the pakset yourself...? :-)

Maragil

I could if you want me to, and if so, what would be the best thing for me to do? (I've got blender and GIMP)
(I'm still very shaky on Blender, haven't really used it and need some tutorials :P)

H./

jamespetts

Maragil,

thank you for your interest in helping out :-) here is the leading tutorial for Blender. Don't worry - you only need very basic Blender skills to produce things for Simutrans, as the graphics are very low resolution. See this thread for more information on how to help out.

I strongly advise that you start by modifying existing .blend files made for Pak128.Britain, as they are all set up exactly: graphical consistency is very important for this set. Vehicles are the easiest to work on. It is easiest to start by making variations of existing vehicles by making small adaptations to them, and going from there. The Hood has nearly all the .blend files for the set, but, while he is away, I can send you some of the ones that I have if you PM me your e-mail address, and you can start on those.

What to make is up to you - an easy thing to start with (since I have a .blend for it) would be making the long, two door version of the Leyland National 'bus out of the existing short, one door version (the two door version had fewer seats and more standing capacity and was used in large towns, whereas the shorter, single door version had more, slightly more comfortable seats, but less standing capacity, and was used in smaller towns and more rural areas), but it's really up to you :-)

Things like bridges and city buildings are a bit harder - I have never tried making bridges, but city buildings need extra steps for exporting using a program called "tilecutter".

Thank you again for your offer of assistance :-)

AP

It may not quite have the Welland Viaduct beaten for length, but it's still a pretty decent length. This is why we needed that length restriction removed!!

(click to expand)

jamespetts

The Hood

I've noticed that the pak128.Britain screenshots on www.simutrans.com still date from 0.03...  Seeing as we are now on 1.04 and that means a load of new goodies, has anyone got any good screenshots we could use to update this page?  Ideally they would need to show a range of the features in a compact space (e.g. stations, interchanges, etc., busy places)... A range of dates on the timeline would be good too (one victorian, one 1900-1950, one modern).

I'm sure a few people have got developed saves out there, and I don't really have time to create too many nice screenshots... :)

dannyman

Well, here's a few from my game.  Mostly passenger train action in the 1940s . . .

Passengers transfer between trains and electric trams at Penrith-Fort William station.

A crowd at Kinross as the train arrives, and people scramble for buses.

Passenger trains passing each other on the left.

Freight trains pull in to the textile mill to drop off wool and other goods, and pick up textiles and other goods to deliver to a chain of department stores.

A passenger train and a double-decker bus pull away from Daventry Small Cricket Ground station.

A peek at the Richmond Furniture Factory station, just beyond the double tracks of a local branch line.

The Penrith Slaughter-house, located along the road in the tranquil English woods.

These are really some beautiful trees.

The Hood

Wow, that looks pretty well-developed!

The Hood

Here's some screenshots shamelessly ripped from other people's saves, just to give some more flavour...

From Kieron, a well developed early main line.

From dannyman, a goods branch line and a truck route from the 1940s

Also from dannyman, two main lines crossing each other with three trains (even if the LNER V2 with Southern coaches isn't 100% authentic :))

Edit - can't see the screenshots, for some reason the image links to files.[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ] don't like working for me :s

dannyman

Quote from: The Hood on October 09, 2009, 06:45:09 PM

Also from dannyman, two main lines crossing each other with three trains (even if the LNER V2 with Southern coaches isn't 100% authentic :))

I reckon the pak could enforce a relationship between engines and train sets, eh?

(I can't see the screen shots either -- try the "download" link -- files/get in the URL.)

Example:

wlindley

It's 1922 and my brewery is running full-tilt.

Commuter and some cross-country services are doing well, and there's a fair goods trade.

p.s., I suppose the locomotive, the mail car at head end, and the passenger cars don't at all go together -- how would I find what actual practices were?  Maybe we should have a "British Train Makeup in a Nutshell Guide"

The Hood

Cheers dannyman, the download links work rather than the image links - confusing but true :)

And yes I could make the paks strictly enforce all of the engine and rolling stock constraints, but I would have a constraints list as long as my arm in each dat file and I think it would be un-necessarily restrictive on people that just don't give a d*mn about what happened historically and just want to play trains!  I do want to have a guide to all the vehicles in the set, I think Maragil was going to do something on the wiki but it's gone a bit quiet from him recently so I assume that he got busy. 

Anyways, for the GER Claud loco in the second screenshot, I would run it with the teak clerestory coaches for historical realism.  Usually mail and passenger trains were distinct on the main line (the Claud was a top link express loco in its day), but on branches mixed traffic was the most common (passengers, mail and freight together).  As a general rule though, keep the company letters of loco and stock the same (i.e. run LNER locos with LNER stock etc) if you are bothered about that sort of thing.

dannyman

Actually, I had had a thought some ways back . . . it looks like the pak can put vehicles in different tabs somewhat arbitrarily.  Might it be reasonable / feasible to break vehicles out by manufacturer?  So, the LNER tab would have the LNER trainsets . . . you could still mix and match but it'd be akin to saying "LNER?  What can you sell me today!?"  (Maybe keep the freight stock in one tab, though as they're hard enough to hunt down.)

I use the teaks for higher-capacity trains. :)

Maragil

Quote from: The Hood on October 09, 2009, 10:45:16 PM
I think Maragil was going to do something on the wiki but it's gone a bit quiet from him recently so I assume that he got busy. 

Still a work in progress, about 1/2 done - having to juggle around with school/exams...

H./

The Hood

@danny, that may be an idea, but not sure how that would be coded except with some extra property in the dat file that somehow grouped them together in the depot.  Currently vehicles are grouped by freight type (passenger, freight, or none = loco), and there is also an electric passenger tab I think.  These just use info from the existing dats...

@Maragil - no worries, in your own time, and good luck with those exams... :)

dannyman

Kieron: how do you get those bridges built off non-slope tiles?!

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: dannyman on October 14, 2009, 08:30:30 PM
Kieron: how do you get those bridges built off non-slope tiles?!

I think I can answer that for him: one end of the bridge can be such a non slope tile - the other end needs to be "regular" though. And you must build it from the regular end, not from the non-slope tile.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

sanna

Maybe I am misunderstanding dannyman's question totally, but to build a bridge over f ex another track, build track in a straight line on both of the sides of track to cross, click with bridge tool on the end of one of the pieces of track, and the bridge will extend to the other end.

EDIT: I now see that I did in fact misunderstand his question... well, perhaps there is someone who did not know the info I just gave *smile*

ercsim

Some screenshots of a save-game I am gonna abandon..

Experiments with Simutrans experimental + Pak128.Britain Experimental