News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Underground Trains

Started by chrisrose1993, July 14, 2009, 04:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have now completed the graphics and .dat files for the Metropolitan Dreadnought carriages and MV stock. As before, there were existing Dreadnought carriages, but the .blend files have been lost, so they have been recreated from scratch.

Here is the old Dreadnought carriage:

Here are the new Dreadnought carriages:

Here are the MV Stock motor cars (the trailers use the same graphics as the Dreadnought carriages):

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Fantastic - I'm afraid progress is rather slow at my end as I've had to spend most of the bank holiday weekend reinstalling my whole computer after various network problems. Still getting everything sorted but nice to see progress when I came back on here.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on May 26, 2014, 10:53:00 AM
Fantastic - I'm afraid progress is rather slow at my end as I've had to spend most of the bank holiday weekend reinstalling my whole computer after various network problems. Still getting everything sorted but nice to see progress when I came back on here.

That doesn't sound very fun - I hope that you manage to get that fixed satisfactorily.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Mostly there but I'm having a few issues getting GIT up and running again.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on May 26, 2014, 11:20:06 AM
Mostly there but I'm having a few issues getting GIT up and running again.

What's the trouble?

The Hood

Think I've sorted it. There's a new GIT interface for Windows which required all sorts of other updates to my system. Seems to be importing both my and your repositories fine at the minute though.

jamespetts

The Hood

Right, I'm now up and running again and working through the earlier District Railway EMUs. No screenshots yet though. James, what are you working on next? I've got all the District EMUs and the electric loco covered, which leaves the remaining Met locos (F,G,H,K, 1906 Electric) and 1902 and 1913 Met EMUs. Unfortunately I can't much on the appearance of the 1902 and 1913 EMUs, is there anything in any of your books? Finally if you have any ideas on livery for the District "A" stock (wooden - so possibly varnished wood like the carriages, or painted deep red like the "B" stock?) or the original District electric locos (red like the contemporaneous "B" stock?).

jamespetts

Hamlton Ellis records that the District Railway's electric stock was, "painted scarlet, with the top-quarter strip in maroon and bearing the railway's title", although "a few cars were maroon or dark red" (p. 261). The scarlet should be the same as the later London Transport livery, save that the latter did not have the maroon strip.

As to the District Railway electric locomotive, used between Mansion House and Earl's Court on the Outer Circle and later between Ealing and Barking on the Ealing to Southend services, Hamilton Ellis (p. 262) records that these were always painted scarlet, having roofs of a "mouse grey" colour.

Jenkinson has a photograph of the early Metropolitan Railway clerestory multiple unit carriages at Baker Street in 1910 at p. 407, although it is not the clearest. There are some further photographs and diagrams on pp. 244-245; would you like me to try to scan these and send them to you?

My next work will be on Metropolitan Railway steam locomotives, particularly the Burnett 0-6-0 tank of 1868: although not long used on the Metropolitan, these were sold to the Taff Vale and (presumably) had many good years of use there. It is useful, as there are not currently any 0-6-0 tanks before the 1870s in the pakset, and 0-6-0 tanks are cost effective locomotives with low axle loads which some players, particularly in Experimental where axle load counts, may well find useful.

The Hood

That sounds useful thanks. A scan of the photos/diagrams would be great.-

jamespetts

Now sent by e-mail.

Edit: Another picture of the early Metropolitan stock can be found here.

jamespetts

I have now largely completed the Burnett tank (save that the graphics are as yet unprocessed):

Unfortunately, however, the axle load was greater than I had anticipated. It does have a high tractive effort for a small locomotive of its era, however, so might well be useful for lines with steep gradients.

The Hood

Was hoping to have the District EMUs done tonight. All blends and dats done but then I found a couple of odd things in the latest versions of blender and GIMP that hampered my work flow and thought I'd just mention them here as I've had to revert to older versions of both.

Blender 2.70 (and as far as I can tell from 2.68) renders images with the black background faded in rather than clear cut. This makes replacing with the background colour virtually impossible automatically.

GIMP 2.8 only allows save as xcf rather than png so that means exporting a copy of the file instead. Not impossible to work around but means around twice as many clicks and some typing when editing pngs at this stage.

jamespetts

I have had problems with the later versions of Blender, too, so have stuck to earlier versions for the time being (2.65). The blending into the background, though, is that not an option that can be turned off ("full sample") - or is it different in 2.70? Did you have the problem of everything coming out very pale that I had with Blender 2.69?

In any event, I have now produced processed graphics for the various Metropolitan Railway locomotives not yet done, excluding the D class (which was fairly insignificant and not very successful) and the K Class (which was closely related to the SR/SECR N and River Classes, both of which I intend to do at some point, and was planning on doing them together, along with some other SR locomotives), which are as follows:

Burnett tank

Metropolitan green

Metropolitan red

E Class

Original - as in current pakset, .blend sadly lost

Metropolitan red

Metropolitan late red

London Transport

F Class

Metropolitan red

Metropolitan late red

London Transport

G class

Metropolitan red

LNER black

Austerity

H Class

Metropolitan red

LNER black

Austerity

The Hood

Here are the District EMUs:

jamespetts

Very nice! What did you do to solve the Blender troubles?

Junna

What happened to this nice effort, and additionally, where are the uploads of what has hitherto been finished for a while?

The Hood

It's not quite finished. Summer got in the way. I still plan to do a few more Metropolitan early EMUs and electric engines. Hopefully in the next month time then I'll release.

The Hood

Finally, some progress:

Metropolitan EMUs - 1905 Gate stock (bottom), 1913 and 1921 Circle stock (middle, top) - the latter two also have a red LT livery variant.

jamespetts

The Hood

James, I'm just adding in all of your coaches and locos, which I seem to have omitted at the time. I can't find any dats in your github unless I'm being blind? Is your github up to date with these?

EDIT - scrap that I've found them now on your half-heights branch. Perhaps that should become the new default?

jamespetts

Splendid, I am glad that you have found them. I will make the half-heights branch the default when I have a new stable release of Experimental that can work with it. My development work has been delayed a great deal in the second half of this year, as I have been preoccupied with moving house. (I now have the house, but have not moved in pending some works needing to be done).

The Hood

Update - I had hoped to have this released by now but I've had a catastrophic hard disk failure which rather delays things. I'm currently trying to get all the files off the corrupted disk and hopefully I haven't lost it all, but it will take some time either way...

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on December 03, 2014, 06:37:23 PM
Update - I had hoped to have this released by now but I've had a catastrophic hard disk failure which rather delays things. I'm currently trying to get all the files off the corrupted disk and hopefully I haven't lost it all, but it will take some time either way...

Ohh, goodness, that's not good. Very best wishes in recovering all of that.

For reference, my usual practice is to push to Github on finishing each individual vehicle (or, at least, set of matching vehicles). Github doubles as an excellent backup.

The Hood

Fortunately it seems it was just the Boot and system sections of the drive that were knackered and the data is all intact (and backed up now!). Nevertheless it will be a while before I can get this finished as I need to get and install a new hard drive and rebuild windows from scratch etc. before I can think about releasing this stuff.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on December 04, 2014, 07:35:43 AM
Fortunately it seems it was just the Boot and system sections of the drive that were knackered and the data is all intact (and backed up now!). Nevertheless it will be a while before I can get this finished as I need to get and install a new hard drive and rebuild windows from scratch etc. before I can think about releasing this stuff.

That must be quite a relief - you clearly spent a long time on that! I can imagine that setting everything up again will indeed take a while. Very best wishes in getting everything sorted out.

kierongreen

I know the feeling well of recovering data and getting computers back up and running! Hope it goes fairly smoothly :)

The Hood

Nearly there! Just a busy week so no time to finish the job - hopefully next week in time for a pre-Christmas release.

The Hood

Finally, the electric locos of the met and district:

Top: District Locos (paired) 1905
Middle: Metropolitan BTH Box Loco 1907
Bottom: Metropolitan Camelback Loco 1906

jamespetts

The Hood

These have now all been added to SVN, completing the London Underground project. Time for an "official" release I think...

jamespetts

I have now integrated these into Experimental, with the necessary amendments. May I ask, however: was there a reason that the second livery of the Metropolitan 1913 and 1921 circle stock was all-over red rather than red and cream?

The Hood

My sources seemed to indicate the red & cream was not universally applied and only temporary. Is that not the case?

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on December 21, 2014, 06:23:33 PM
My sources seemed to indicate the red & cream was not universally applied and only temporary. Is that not the case?

My source did not mention that: it does sound as if your source went into more detail on the point, however. My source (the Jenkinson book on railway carriages) merely indicated that these were repainted into red and cream when refurbished in 1935, the only sub-surface units to be so painted.

Junna

Graphic anomalies on the D-stock, I think it was. There's an accidental removal of parts of the side window on two of the views on the driving ends.