News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

World Speed Records - Faster than it should be?

Started by Severous, August 01, 2009, 06:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severous

Hi

A boat of this type has earned a speed record.  51 km/h.

Yet its top speed is 35 km/h

Ive been uneasy with these speed records for a while so I don't think its a problem specific to this boat.  However this was the most strange case I've seen.  Could the very high power or gearing be anything to do with it?..or should i just assume there was a very strong river current that day  :)
Regards
Sev.

hApo

River or canal with slope could cause it. Maybe...

Severous

Hi hApo

Vehicles certainly go faster down slopes.  Whilst I've used canals with slopes there are none in this save which could explain the speed record. 

I think a slope cannot make a vehicle go faster than its top speed.

In a number of games of this type Ive seen speed records caused when vehicles that have waited for cargo suddenly start off at top speed.  But again..that didn't seem to be the case here.  The speed record was set somewhere flat and along the route..not at start or end.  Mystery.
Regards
Sev.

mjhn

Were you using fast forward at the time?
During fast forward the speed of vhicles can be mis-calculated resulting in this much higher reported speed.

A slope can make a vehicle go faster than it's top speed (I have had records while watching the vehicle). It doesn't show this in the vehicle info window, though.

Severous

Hello mjhn

I wasnt using fast forward at any time.

Ive not seen a vehicle go faster than its top speed...the only way I know is to watch its vehicle info window.  HOw was you able to see the faster speed?

There was no slope involved.  The river is flat.

Ive since had another occurrance.  Around 45 kp/h this time for the same type of ship (top speed 35 kp/h)
Regards
Sev.

AP

I recall getting records set by trains going faster than their alleged top speed, normally if there's a sequence of more-than-one downhill slope on a straight run of "fast" track.

prissi

This happens when the game simulation engine is overloaded, i.e. providing for a long time not screen updates (for instance with the braindead timidy on linux) or  during saving. Then vehicle will jump and, ue to the speed calculation routine, will overshoot.

werl

I've had this happen myself. the train went faster than the rail speed limit.
C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run

Spike

Records would be boring if limited by ... limits ;D

The Hood

I think this is true in real life too.  For example the fastest recorded steam locomotive was at 126mph (LNER's Mallard).  The LNER Main Line Speed limit was only 90mph...

werl

yes, but I didn't think that could happen in Simutrans
C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run