News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

What's your up/download speed?

Started by wipi35, August 21, 2009, 02:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wipi35

Maybe interesting to know, mine is:

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

irontux

this is mine (italy)  :

in italy there is a very little upload transfer rate  :'(

Maragil

At least you have a higher download speed.

London :)

H./

irontux

Quote from: Maragil on August 24, 2009, 05:48:29 PM

At least you have a higher download speed.

London :)

How much your internet connection? (mounth) Is flat (24h/24h or "@connection_time"?
In italy is about 20€/mounth for flat connection.

mwoodburn81

However, those numbers are a lie.  My ISP has a service call "Speed Boost"  Which allow small downloads to go really fast.  Which basically fools speed tests into thinking my internet connection is better than it really is.   I more typically get somewhere between 6down/0.5 up and 8 down/1.0 up for larger/longer downloads.

Zeno

A spanish connection, it's slow and quite expensive; it's 42€/month while you can find better connections at 30€ aprox., but it's still far much more reliable than competitors. Three or four years ago this company was the only option, and was same price for 1 Mbit. Really sucks >:(

VS

Wow, that price really does suck. What I posted costs about half (after conversion), with free router and IP phone adapter, and did I mention zero cost calls within network? Actually this is at my grandma's ;D I guess they can keep the price so low when they connect blocks of flats, some 30 households in one go...

What I have at home is slightly slower and without these perks, but still good. Telefonica as well.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

Quote from: VS on August 24, 2009, 08:42:02 PM
Wow, that price really does suck. What I posted costs about half (after conversion), with free router and IP phone adapter, and did I mention zero cost calls within network?
Yeah, that price also includes spanish calls. But you've to add about 15€ more for line mantainance costs... per month!!!

VS

Combuijs

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Zeno on August 24, 2009, 07:28:47 PM
A spanish connection, it's slow and quite expensive(...)

Telefonica? Good luck for you.

We know Telefonica very well here in my state (State of São Paulo, Brazil). >_>

ANATEL (National Agency of Telecommunications) prohibited Telefonica from selling the Speed (an Internet booster used to speed up dial-up connections) due to constant service breakdowns in whole state; besides a very bad telephone service. A state of 35,000,000 inhabitants is suffering in Telefonica's hands.

Particularly, I pay ~US$40 for a 300kbps radio connection, I don't use and don't want to buy Speed because I don't want and don't need a telephone where I live. A mobile is enough for me.

mwoodburn81

Quote from: Combuijs on August 24, 2009, 09:16:38 PM

I'm not complaining...

I think I would like to move to Eindhoven now :-)

Lmallet

Mine is good enough for what I need.   200GB/month cap.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Aglezabad

Fabio

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Little bit faster than I normally see... 250GB/mo cap, which is not bad for the US. $55/mo, and that's only because I also have cable. It'd be $75/mo otherwise.

The US lags behind many places, which is frustrating.

KrazyJay

Combuijs, you'll probably live in Son & Breughel, connected by KPN Glasvezel, bronze triple play for 65 Euro/month? I can't see any ADSL2+ connection offering you this speed.

Here's mine, I got VDSL2 but watching HDTV (IPTV) right now, they sold it as a 12mbit line, which only reaches that speed with not watching TV.

edit:replaced img after line swap
edit 2009-09-06: replaced img after new test
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Combuijs

QuoteCombuijs, you'll probably live in Son & Breughel, connected by KPN Glasvezel, bronze triple play for 65 Euro/month? I can't see any ADSL2+ connection offering you this speed.

Well spotted! Though the village is called Son & Breugel and it's silver triple play for 15 more. No BBC 1 and 2 unfortunately, which is the major drawback. I confess, 34Mb is a bit overdone, on most websites you won't reach (and need...) that speed.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

mwoodburn81

After reading this thread I wanted to test a Virtual Private Server I have access to, but since I only have remote ssh access, I don't have access  to a web browser with flash, so I googled, "bandwidth test using lynx"  and I came across the suggesting to run, "wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test" from the command line.

So I did, and here are the results:

mwoodburn@li64-196:~> wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
--08:42:35--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
           => `100mb.test.5'
Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104,857,600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]

100%[====================================>] 104,857,600   83.84M/s

08:42:36 (83.78 MB/s) - `100mb.test.5' saved [104857600/104857600]

That is  670.24 MBps!   A traceroute shows I am only five hops from cachefly, and more than likely in the same building as them.

Lmallet

Maragil

Quote from: Lmallet on August 25, 2009, 01:18:10 PM

My connection at work :)

WOOOOOOOW.
That is one fast connection.
Think of all the illegal stuff one could download :P
DROOL..................

Admin note: Too much "OOOOOOO". And I don't think of downloading illegal stuff. ;D
~Igor

H./

Ashley

I did one from work too, but they only have a 10meg leased line so it wasn't that impressive :p
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: mwoodburn81 on August 25, 2009, 12:48:56 PMI only have remote ssh access,

For the fun of it, I decided to test my two servers, http://mesquiteserver.com/ and http://mockingbirdserver.com/

Both have a 10Mbs port.

Mesquite - my primary:

--14:17:07--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `100mb.test'

100%[=======================================>] 104,857,600 1.13M/s   in 90s

14:18:37 (1.11 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

Mockingbird, my secondary:

--14:17:10--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
           => `100mb.test'
Length: 104,857,600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]

100%[====================================>] 104,857,600    1.13M/s    ETA 00:00

14:18:39 (1.12 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

So, yeah. Perfectly on spec. hehe.

Maragil

Quote from: Timothy on August 25, 2009, 07:00:29 PM

I did one from work too, but they only have a 10meg leased line so it wasn't that impressive :p

Only 10meg from an ADSL/Telecoms company (google :) )?

H./

Ashley

Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

Maragil

No, Andrews + Arnolds is a telecoms company :)

H./

Ashley

Yes, they're my ISP, I don't work for them.

PlayTrans2009

I'm using pak96.comic and pak128.Britain. Mostly pak96.comic.
"More money means lesser friendship." Reason: Selfish.

VS

Just for the record, this is what I normally use most of the time.

PlayTrans2009

I try again

Wow, it is higher on the download but not upload.

No wonder, uploading takes a longer time for me!

I'm using pak96.comic and pak128.Britain. Mostly pak96.comic.
"More money means lesser friendship." Reason: Selfish.

Isaac Eiland-Hall