News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Civil Challenge.

Started by Maragil, August 27, 2009, 07:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maragil

Hi,

My idea for this challenge is to make the most realistic copy of a transportation system of a country(or the European/American/Asian Continent) of passengers and mail (Trains only(if you want :) ) ). This is going to be a rather long challenge.
You may be able to find the country you want to do on ]http://maps.simutrans.com]

You will also find it very useful if you take the height map and make it bigger - then you can have the cities big and in the right places :)

Rules

1: Build cities in approximately the right places.
2: No Chronology
3: Use the approximate right rolling stock. (So no using monorail in London etc)
4: Allowed to use Public Player
5: No need to have freight - go ahead if you want as well (try and make it realistic)
6: Do a country with a transportation network :)
7: Any Pak :)
8: Attempt to do basic geographically correct rivers.

If anyone doesn't know how to build a city, go to public player, then build city :) also use the expand city to help :)
I don't think this will necessarily have a winner, but if people could write stories as they make their stations and build up the network, that would be interesting. Please post it in a new post in Arena, to not clutter this thread.

I'd recommend doing the UK or Japan, as there are lots of addons for the right rolling stock (I'm going to use Pak128.Britain)

Please talk about this in this thread. :)

H./

mwoodburn81

I have been making a save game of an US/North America map.  So far I just have cities.  

I took one of the maps from http://maps.simutrans.com and enlarge it to 4000x2850,   so there are some hill artifices in it, but it is still usable.   I started this map using simutrans-exp, and anyone is welcome to use it if they don't want to spend time creating every American city.  Along with a few Canadian and Mexican Cities near the US border.

I used an approximate scale of 175 real people in any given metro area is equal to one simulation.    So realistically the smallest city I can display on the map has to have a metro population of more than 150,000 or so.  However in some cases I was a little zealous with clicking with the +100 tools, and I have not evicted any extra simutraians if I went a few 100 overboard.

Edit/PS:   Anyone is free to use this map as a starting point.  And if you want to add more cities or detail to this map, feel free to, I would love to see your changes.

Save Game: http://97.107.134.196/~mwoodburn/US-withcities-01.sve

Maragil

Nicely done - look forward to seeing more :)

H./

Combuijs

Very impressive, I like it very much. Two questions though:

1) Which pak is it for?
2) Is it playable with the "normal" (e.g. non-experimental) version of Simutrans?
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

mwoodburn81

It should work with PAK-128, with no add-ons.

I just tested it with standard, and it did not work.

The Hood

Quote from: Maragil on August 27, 2009, 07:50:32 AM
I'd recommend doing the UK or Japan, as there are lots of addons for the right rolling stock (I'm going to use Pak128.Britain)

I'd be really interested to see how you get on and to see screenshots with pak128.Britain :)

Combuijs

QuoteI just tested it with standard, and it did not work.

That's a pity!
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs