News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

one way signals

Started by Tobious, August 29, 2009, 09:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobious

these are not in pak128 britain, but are in the standard version. it is v. easy to copy them across, but i was wondering if there was a reason for them not being there? anyway i suggest they be included in future releases, because they make the game much easier (& quicker) to play...

jamespetts

One way signals are in Pak128.Britain - click once to put down a two-way signal, click again to switch it to a one way signal in one direction, and click a third time to switch to a one-way signal in the other direction. Clicking a fourth time will cycle back to a two way signal, and so forth.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jeremy

I think this is about the one-way markers rather than signals - ie a pole without a light on the top.

The Hood

One way signals are one-way markers.  If you place a one-way signal, trains can't use it the other way...

jeremy

Agreed and understood. It is, however, useful to have this device to control routing alone without also marking the end of a section of track for signalling purposes.

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, let's get this clear: there are signals (which can be toggled through both-way, and one-way configurations) and there are one-way signs - also for rail(!) that only have the one way function, but do not have the other functions of a signal. I understand this request like the latter ones are missing... ?

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

The Hood

Yes, the one-way sign is missing for rail - having never needed one in a game myself (I always use a signal), and having never seen one in real life (I think they always use a signal too), I didn't think it necessary.  I can do one if there is sufficient demand, but it will be low priority.  If someone else draws one that fits the style, then it will go in.

jeremy

Precisely. Of course, it's perfectly possible to make good layouts without them, but they become useful once you're building the Birmingham New Streets of the Simutrans world rather than the Birmingham Moor Streets.

jeremy

Probably also worth mentioning that I'm currently playing a game of pak128.Britain and enjoying it very much!

DirrrtyDirk

@TheHood:

Agreed, they are not needed often, but sometimes they are very useful - usually where a signal would cause unwanted effects. I'd recommend to include them once you get appropriate graphics.

@jeremy:

Please try to refrain from double-posting (see #1.2 here).

jeremy

Apologies for that. I'm more used to posting in places that don't offer the option of modifying posts.

neroden

I have in fact wanted the "close the rail in both directions" variant of the "one way signs" as well (and been annoyed that it isn't available in any pak).  It's awfully convenient to have a specialized section of rail, threaded through some very difficult area, probably with tram tracks and road crossings, which you *don't* want trains to use *normally*, but which you occasionally activate in one direction for empty stock movements.

Having the "rail close" available in three clickable forms (closed both ways, one way in each direction) would satisfy this rather specific desire.

jamespetts

That's a rather clever idea, although I'm not sure whether it could work without changing the code...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

If you want a section of existing rail to be closed, couldn't you create two consecutive one-way signals in opposite directions?  And then just toggle one signal when you'd like to temporarily reopen it...

DirrrtyDirk

Well, it can hardly be in any pak, because Simutrans doesn't support such a mechanism yet. So if you want it, write an extension request instead of being annoyed by no pak having it.  ;)

But can't you get the same result with normal one-way signs?

EDIT: Others were faster.

neroden

Quote from: wlindley on October 18, 2009, 08:08:11 PM
If you want a section of existing rail to be closed, couldn't you create two consecutive one-way signals in opposite directions?  And then just toggle one signal when you'd like to temporarily reopen it...
That's what I do, but sometimes the ideal rail connection is only one tile long.  :-)

TheMacpau

I might just be a man willing to accept a fudge, but if you only need the segment on rare occasions. Why not just delete and rebuild the track as needed? :-D

neroden

Quote from: TheMacpau on October 18, 2009, 08:41:51 PM
I might just be a man willing to accept a fudge, but if you only need the segment on rare occasions. Why not just delete and rebuild the track as needed? :-D

It's usually a downtown connection across a road in the middle of a city.  I have done that, but it's a pain in the neck buiding track, overhead wires, then tearing it out along with the road and rebuilding the road again.  :-P  Possibly a smarter track removal tool would be an better solution to the problem, thinking about it.