News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Diesel "Critters"

Started by rfg123, September 03, 2009, 08:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfg123

This post will serve as a repository for completed and beta versions of small locomotives.

GE 25T -

us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/gygDBGKKk4/simscr02.png]

http://files.[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ]/files/get/1rYnmooJHf/vehicle.ge-25t.pak [v1.05]

GE 44T -

us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/ZML7FVTHfp/simscr04.png]

http://files.[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ]/files/get/se_vZ8QfPl/vehicle.ge-44t.pak [v1.02]

GE 70T -

us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/6-Ew6LT6fs/simscr07.png]

http://files.[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ]/files/get/BZx5rs5SDe/vehicle.ge-70t.pak [v1.01]

The complete "critters" set:

http://files.[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ]/files/get/CvfwQ1DqHD/early-diesels.zip

This is all I am going to do in terms of small industrial diesels. They all flow into each other chronologically from from 1938-1959.

Please use this thread to report all bugs, graphical glitches, or change requests.

Enjoy!  :)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

VS

...and it might need some friends to play with :P

(sorry, no testing from me)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Lmallet

Great!  Someone else also thinks pak128 lacks early diesels!

So for comments:
-Looks nice,  but looks a bit bright next to the other locomotives (could look a little dirtier).
-You have the power and speed values correctly, this locomotive should only be able to haul 1 or 2 cars (by Simutrans standards) at slow speed.
-The locomotive is too big scale-wise.  You need to shrink it, I would say, to at least 75%.  These switchers were tiny, and the cars they pull should tower over them.  A good example below:

-You might want to test the locomotive pulling cars in all directions.  Basically build a big octogon in Simutrans and try running the locomotive around it, pulling cars.  You will quickly see that you have alignment issues with your locomotive.
-My eyes might be playing tricks on me, but the locomotive looks off center.  If you were sitting in the cab, the locomotive looks like it is veering slightly to the left.  EDIT:  You might want to read this post http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1849.0 While you are not using Sketchup, you might be having an issue with your view not being 2:1, which is what Simutrans needs.
-And don't forget to change the copyright value in your dat file.  While we all love Frank, I don't think you need to credit him for your work  ;D

So basically, a very good start.  Alignment is always a difficult step, but with a bit of reading around the forum, you should master it fairly soon.  Keep up the good work!

rfg123

Quote from: Lmallet on September 03, 2009, 11:04:34 PM-Looks nice,  but looks a bit bright next to the other locomotives (could look a little dirtier).

Agreed, easy fix.

EDIT: Fixed - us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/gygDBGKKk4/simscr02.png]

Quote from: Lmallet on September 03, 2009, 11:04:34 PM-You have the power and speed values correctly, this locomotive should only be able to haul 1 or 2 cars (by Simutrans standards) at slow speed.

Which poses a small problem; making it competitive with other locomotives in the time frame. Most of the steam locomotives from 1938-1945 greatly overpower this little engine. Explains why the 25T was beat out by early EMD switcher models.

Quote from: Lmallet on September 03, 2009, 11:04:34 PM-The locomotive is too big scale-wise.  You need to shrink it, I would say, to at least 75%.  These switchers were tiny, and the cars they pull should tower over them.

Indeed, however, any smaller and this locomotive would just be a blob of pixels with a headlight. ;D

Quote from: Lmallet on September 03, 2009, 11:04:34 PM-You might want to test the locomotive pulling cars in all directions.  Basically build a big octogon in Simutrans and try running the locomotive around it, pulling cars.  You will quickly see that you have alignment issues with your locomotive.

Noted. Also an easy fix with the appropriate template.

Quote from: Lmallet on September 03, 2009, 11:04:34 PM-My eyes might be playing tricks on me, but the locomotive looks off center.  If you were sitting in the cab, the locomotive looks like it is veering slightly to the left.

Not sure what you mean by this? I checked the views again, the only ones that (to my eye) needed tweaking were the E-W/W-E views. If you could provide a screenshot or two of the problem I will be happy to correct it.

Quote from: Lmallet on September 03, 2009, 11:04:34 PMEDIT:  You might want to read this post http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1849.0 While you are not using Sketchup, you might be having an issue with your view not being 2:1, which is what Simutrans needs.

The GMAX gamepack I use renders models on an isometric plane which I screenshot and stitch together into a png. However, a couple of the renders required manual alignment.. Perhaps that is where the issue lies.

Quote from: Lmallet on September 03, 2009, 11:04:34 PM-And don't forget to change the copyright value in your dat file.  While we all love Frank, I don't think you need to credit him for your work  ;D

Noted. ;D Although I am a Frank as well.

Quote from: Lmallet on September 03, 2009, 11:04:34 PMSo basically, a very good start.  Alignment is always a difficult step, but with a bit of reading around the forum, you should master it fairly soon.  Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the support! I greatly appreciate your input.  ;D

Lmallet

Quote from: rfg123 on September 04, 2009, 12:41:26 AM
Indeed, however, any smaller and this locomotive would just be a blob of pixels with a headlight.
Probably would.  You are the boss after all :)

Not sure what you mean by this? I checked the views again, the only ones that (to my eye) needed tweaking were the E-W/W-E views. If you could provide a screenshot or two of the problem I will be happy to correct it.
I am attaching the 8 views I get.  Now, I wonder if the length in the dat is the problem, or if the alignment is off.  I hope someone with more drawing experience can help.

Noted. Although I am a Frank as well.
Now that is funny!   :D

Thanks for the support! I greatly appreciate your input.
You are very welcome.

rfg123

Quote from: Lmallet on September 04, 2009, 02:27:15 AMI am attaching the 8 views I get.  Now, I wonder if the length in the dat is the problem, or if the alignment is off.  I hope someone with more drawing experience can help.

I found the problem.. Will not go into detail but for the most part I believe I fixed it. Corrected version attached. With a few more minor pixel sized tweaks this version should hopefully be completed..

Lmallet

Yup, works like a charm.  And looks very good too.

rfg123

Quote from: Lmallet on September 04, 2009, 03:14:39 AM
Yup, works like a charm.  And looks very good too.

:)

I added the link for the completed version in the first post.. It is not perfect but I think it is usable. I had trouble getting the thumbnail to display correctly in game..

I fixed the in-game thumbnail to match the other locomotives as closely as possible, the only problem is, it threw off the alignment of the locomotive when traveling in the SW(?) direction. This visual error appears in the updated .pak in the original post. Am I missing something here? Or since my locomotive is shorter than the default, will it appear differently in the thumbnail..? (as in misaligned with the thumbnails of other, larger, locomotives)..  

???

In any case, the next locomotive up from the 25T is the 44T, introduced right after the 25T in the Simutrans world (1940-1951)..

us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/tFNHCrxpTV/simscr03.png]

3x the power of the 25T, and still compact enough for short platforms. No completed .pak yet, stay tuned for more.. [See original post]

rfg123

I updated the original post to include all 3 completed models. I am not 100% satisfied with the 70T, but the rest should be good to go..

Lmallet

Quote from: rfg123 on September 07, 2009, 02:49:03 PM
I updated the original post to include all 3 completed models. I am not 100% satisfied with the 70T, but the rest should be good to go..
I would say a good outcome for a first try!  I like how the 44T turned out.