News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

ROADS REPLACEMENT PROJECT

Started by Fabio, September 08, 2009, 09:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

ROADS REPLACEMENT PROJECT

Here's the first preview of a project which was growing slowly in my mind (alongside the twin railtracks replacement project).

The plan is the following

- dirt road 30 km/h (all eras, summer+winter)
       road + bridge

- old cityroad 50 km/h (from 18th century to the 40ties)
       road + bridge

- standard cityroad 50 km/h (since the 50ties, public player only)
       road (bridge and tunnel from urban road - consistent in graphics)

- urban road 50 km/h (since the 50ties, for the player)
       road + bridge + tunnel

- slow intercity road 70 km/h (since the 20ties)
       road + bridge

- standard intercity road 90 km/h (since the 50ties)
       road + bridge + tunnel

- highway 110 km/h (since the 60ties)
       road + bridge

- expressway 130 km/h (since the 70ties)
       road + bridge + tunnel

- autobahn 200 km/h (since the 90ties)
       road + bridge

now some screenshots:

old cityroad
click to enlarge

dirt road
click to enlarge

highways (left to right: 90 km/h, 110 km/h, 130 km/h, 200 km/h)
click to enlarge

dual carriage way
click to enlarge

Isaac Eiland-Hall

:o That looks really great!

Any chance of producing straight-diagonal corners (instead of curves)-- at least source graphics (which implies maybe releasing sources for editing - I'd also make a yellow-stripe version variant)?

This a really really nice looking :)

Ashley

Very nice looking indeed. I would like to combine these with the elevated highway graphics I have, would you be interested fabio?
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Krisztian

it would be solvable that concerning the lane bending onto the left and right if the road is with 1 direction that let it be possible to label it with arrows?
By Krisztian

Fabio

thank you all!

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 08, 2009, 01:03:10 PM
Any chance of producing straight-diagonal corners (instead of curves)
this has been already done! :)
more screenshots will follow ;)

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 08, 2009, 01:03:10 PM
I'd also make a yellow-stripe version variant)?
sure! i think consistency is a must, so i think to release a euro-looking set (VS, can it become the official one?)
Isaac, you could for sure make an American version, which in my opinion could be a replacement pak. Players IMHO could download the American set to replace the standard European one.

Quote from: Timothy on September 08, 2009, 01:14:01 PM
Very nice looking indeed. I would like to combine these with the elevated highway graphics I have, would you be interested fabio?
extremely interested :)
do you have any source to share?
ATM, i was planning elevated highways for 130 km/h and maybe 110 km/h.
I would replace the pavement, though, to make it consistent.

I forgot to credit:
- Raven for the bare pavement texture and the "new jersey" barriers for 200 km/h
- Kieron Green (The Hood or whoever is the Artist) for Pak128.Britain sidewalk, used for old city road
- the Authors of the existing Pak128 roads, especially MIP for the texture of dirty road.

Quote from: Krisztian on September 08, 2009, 01:26:56 PM
it would be solvable that concerning the lane bending onto the left and right if the road is with 1 direction that let it be possible to label it with arrows?
i considered it, unfortunately the game can't tell which direction the carriageway is used for...
so no arrows without code changing :(

Zeno

Oh, fabio strikes back!
Nice screenshots there, I'm looking forward more of them!!

Btw, I also like the planning :)

Ashley

Quote from: fabio on September 08, 2009, 01:33:56 PM
extremely interested :)
do you have any source to share?
ATM, i was planning elevated highways for 130 km/h and maybe 110 km/h.
I would replace the pavement, though, to make it consistent.

I'll have to take a look at the sources when I get home tonight, IIRC it was about 80% finished before, so I'll probably need to do a little work to complete it. Will reply again when I've had a look :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

Maragil

Nice - I'd really look forward to this being released - the current road tunnel is so slow, so I've had to combine 128.Britain with 128.

(Actually, all our tunnels are slow)

H./

Combuijs

Quote(Actually, all our tunnels are slow)

Which is true to life, as you rarely can drive very fast underground for safety reasons.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Fabio

Quote from: Combuijs on September 08, 2009, 05:01:28 PM
Which is true to life, as you rarely can drive very fast underground for safety reasons.

this will be also in this set. for the sake of realistic safety limits:
200 km/h roads will need to use 130 km/h tunnels (max speed for tunnels in game)
110 km/h roads will need to use 90 km/h tunnels
70 km/h roads will need to use 50 km/h tunnels
(I see 110 km/h roads as upgrades of 90 km/h ones and 200 km/h roads need a speed limit in tunnels, so it is also in Germany, where limitless autobahn have limits in roughly 50% of extension. Similarily, elevated expressways will be only for 130 km/h and 110 km/h, but NOT for 200 km/h, as they are intended for crossing heavily urbanised areas or for bridges with one or more curves. If possible i'd also exclude curves and junctions from 200 km/h ;))

VS

I am shocked - and extremely pleased! Apart from the few graphic bugs I can see in the dirt road, it all looks ready to roll :D The careful planning also helps a lot.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Ashley

I have checked the source images, they're less complete than I had thought, still possible to finish though I think given time. :)

VS

What do you have - did you lose anything? I got some pieces here...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

micslu

Nice roads!

Will the fences on 110 km + highway roads prevent "city-road-ification"?
That will greatly reduce my rail use along autobahns  ;).
(Though I understand this problem is much more fundamental.)

Krisztian

By Krisztian

Combuijs

QuoteWill the fences on 110 km + highway roads prevent "city-road-ification"?

No, because it still is a road.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: micslu on September 08, 2009, 09:47:39 PM

Unfortunately, it's just graphics. And extension requests to allow for immutable roads were denied multiple times. D:.

Quote from: Krisztian on September 08, 2009, 09:53:37 PM
when will he be finish?

He will be finish when he is finish. Please do not ask this question. :)

Quote from: Combuijs on September 08, 2009, 09:54:34 PM

THREE SECONDS D:

;-)

Fabio

Quote from: micslu on September 08, 2009, 09:47:39 PM
That will greatly reduce my rail use along autobahns  ;).
Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 08, 2009, 09:54:37 PM
Unfortunately, it's just graphics. And extension requests to allow for immutable roads were denied multiple times. D:.
Quote from: Combuijs on September 08, 2009, 09:54:34 PM

Well, Elevated tracks (rather expensive) will be provided for 110 km/h and 130 km/h speed. those cannot be "city-road-ificated", IIRC, so they can be a solution for crossing urban areas: go on viaducts! (they will have the same look, only on viaduct... :D)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

true... And in fact, you can lay road under them so that no buildings appear under them (and for local traffic) :D

The Hood

Quote from: fabio on September 08, 2009, 01:33:56 PM
- The Hood (or whoever is the Artist) for Pak128.Britain sidewalk, used for old city road

Actually Kieron Green for that one I think.

Fabio

Quote from: The Hood on September 09, 2009, 02:52:51 PM
Actually Kieron Green for that one I think.

Thanks, I will credit him! ;D

micslu

Oh well, wishful thinking regarding "non-city-road-ification" of high speed roads.  :-[

However, I'd like to add that this problem, sorry let's rather call it a special feature, along with massive overcrowding,
has turned from frustration to fun challenge.
On a very personal level, it is very satisfying when an autobahn network with lots of bridges and mounds gets completed.
The only complaint is having to use unsightly rail and road stubs. (I know about "fence" but only tested.)

Anyways, thanks Fabio, for the new roads. Looking forward to them.

IgorEliezer

Speaking of urban planning:

A urban road network can be (and should be) organized in 4 layers: local, collector, arterial and express ways. This is called Hierarchy of roads. For instance, a local lane will never cross or have junctions with an express lane for several obvious reasons.

An express way becoming a "normal" road doesn't make any sense, considering that traffic flow and hierarchy play in important role in transport efficiency. (you know this story: Simutrans -> transport simulator -> traffic jams -> vehicles get stuck -> player losing money -> bankruptcy)

This could be solved by this way:

If a road has a speed < 100 km/h, such road can be incorporated into the city network, player wanting it or don't. If > 100 km/h, such road is kept untouched.

Fabio

Quote from: IgorTekton on September 11, 2009, 02:22:35 AM
If a road has a speed < 100 km/h, such road can be incorporated into the city network, player wanting it or don't. If > 100 km/h, such road is kept untouched.

I may disagree. IMHO elevated roads for expressways is the way to go, not only for program limits. We can't allow people to build 200 km/h autobahn in the very heart of a city and remain unchanged. And from a realistic point of view, you can't build an expressway just on the sidewalk. Every expressway crossing urbanised areas need to be protected from the normal flow of people and local vehicles.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

But this is where the scale is an issue - tiles are 1km by 1km, too -- and at least over here, we often have interstate highways going through the heart of a city. Speed limits might be as low a 55mph, but sometimes even 60mph even downtown. :)

KrazyJay

In Kaohsiung, Taiwan, there's a major highway going right through the city, with a speed limit of I remember 110 km/h... It's not elevated totally, but there are concrete vertical sound barriers up to 2 stories of a house.
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Fabio

Here's a pre-preview of 130 km/h tunnels.
The colour is trivial, they will be concrete, with an inner player colour stripe.
The new concept is the inside tunnel, which gives its best in sliced view.
It needs to be coded with makeobj 50, so it needs further test.

feedback is welcome!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Oh that just looks awesome to me.

Is there a version with only diagonals, perchance? I see the curve in a place where I'd hope for a straight diagonal...

The tunnel looks so awesome. I love the colour - assume that's player colour.

It just looks gorgeous.

Fabio

ihihihih, that curve is there because of the intersection, otherwise it would be straight diagonal (like rail tracks today, i also d@mn like curves, si i think to keep them both ;) -- diagonals are still under refinishment)

thanks for the feedback on tunnels! ;D

Ashley

Those tunnels look awesome, good work :)

VS

You really know what you're doing :)

KrazyJay

Fabio, it really gives a new and fresh look to pak128! Well done!
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Václav

Tunnels looks nice but I am worried about following: cars will touch ceil.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní