News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

ROADS REPLACEMENT PROJECT

Started by Fabio, September 08, 2009, 09:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

Soon the wide portal patch will come, just to notify you.

Václav

Soon half year will be passed from previous post - and I would like to know when these new roads and new tunnel (I think that for higher speed than 80 km/h) will be in game.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

prissi

They are, if you compile makeobj by yourself and use a nightly.

Václav

Ouch... I use nightly (currently #974) - but I only use makeobj for finishing add-ons - but I don't compile makeobj, itself. I have not experience with compiling of anything.

Fabio

My project of working on Roads (and Rail Tracks) has been on hold for a while (a long while, i should say), but I'll try to resume it as soon as i have a little time :)

gauthier

hurry up I'm going to do it too  ;D (after some projects of course ...)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

There's no rush, but I've started working on roads again:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=5473.msg53225#msg53225

But I'd love to play with your roads, Fabio. :)

Fabio

I'm trying to resume some works these days.
I divided the big project in 3 parts.

Part 1: highways (work in progress: 68%)
- 200 km/h: Road (99%)          + Bridge (90%)
- 130 km/h: Road (99%)          + Bridge (90%) + Tunnel (80%) + Elevated (10%)
- 110 km/h: Road (99%)          + Bridge (90%)                + Elevated (10%)
-  90 km/h: Road (99%)          + Bridge (10%) + Tunnel (40%)

Part 2: urban and suburban roads (in project)
-  70 km/h: Road (80%)          + Bridge                    ( + Elevated ?? )
-  50 km/h: Road (80%)          + Bridge       + Tunnel     ( ALSO CITYROAD )

Part 3: old and/or poor quality roads (in project
-  70 km/h: Paved Road (20%)    + Bridge
-  50 km/h: Gravel Road       ( + Bridge ?? )
-  40 km/h: Stone Road (80%)    + Bridge     ( + Tunnel ?? )( ALSO CITYROAD )
-  30 km/h: Dirt Road (40%)     + Bridge

I think (hope?) part 1 could be released by the summer.
In the final plan, part 3 will be up to the 1950s - 1960s (dirt road will survive for countryside use); part 1 and 2 will follow in time (90 km/h will be available already in 1930s)

Hope this gives a hint of the whole plan :)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I like, I like! Especially elevated roads. :D

Václav

Me too ...

Elevated ways (commonly - it means also railway and maglev tracks) are good invention but there is problem with pillars and continuity (transition?) between some tiles - but this is based on my experience with it.

But I am looking forward to seeing it.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Are you considering opening the source, or keeping closed?

If open, would you mind if I made annoying modifications? ;-)

If closed, would you consider a version of the highway that has no stripes? (purpose would be for ramps - to match pavement/railing, but I don't like the stripes for my ramps - of course, this is personal preference; I'm willing to put in work if I can get sources to work with)

(( I always hesitate to ask a question like this, because hey: This is your work. Whatever your decision is good for me. :-)  ))

Fabio

The goal is: open source and (hopefully) release in main pak. But i will release the parts of the project (sources + paks for testing) only when completed or, say, in release candidate status.
If you find useful a stripeless version, it should be very easy to post, too.

Updating on the works:

Part 1: highways (work in progress: 89%)
- 200 km/h: Road (80%)          + Bridge (90%)
- 130 km/h: Road (99%)          + Bridge (99%) + Tunnel (80%) + Elevated (99%)
- 110 km/h: Road (99%)          + Bridge (99%)                + Elevated (99%)
-  90 km/h: Road (99%)          + Bridge (89%) + Tunnel (40%)

mip

Quote from: fabio on September 08, 2009, 01:33:56 PM
- the Authors of the existing Pak128 roads, especially MIP for the texture of dirty road.

Glad that you started to improve the dirt road. I never felt it was good :). Problem with this road is to get the fuzzy look of a dirt road without getting problems on the tile edges when combining them.

I like the city road in the first picture. But even here one can see how hard it is to make edges where you do not see the tiling.

aliesperet

Hello

I've been playing pak.128 for a while now,
but I wondered if there are any faster Road tunnels.
The only tunnel there is is for cars has an 80 km/h speed limit,
and that slows down my buses.

it would be nice if i could get a answer

thanx Already!
Due to confusion because the owner of this account I emphasize: I am from Noisy-le-Sec, France

Fabio

90 km/h and 130 km/h are under construction :)

aliesperet

Due to confusion because the owner of this account I emphasize: I am from Noisy-le-Sec, France

FoxHole

I dont know if this is legal.Try to get a bridge pak on other pakset. Cut and paste it to the current pak youre using. Hope this may help you.   ;)

vilvoh

It's legal, FoxHole. In fact, it's one of the greatest features of Simutrans but you must be carefull and choose the object from a pakset of the same size.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

FoxHole

Thanks for the great info! Fully appreciated! :)

nitromefan

i found some high speed road tunnels. Download them here.

japanese.simutrans.com/index.php?plugin=attach&refer=Addon128%2FOthers&openfile=HWSvol1v3.zip

In this set there is a 100Km/h and 200km/h tunnel as well as some other handy highway items.

Fabio

Zeno

Hey, man! Those shots look amazing!!   :award:

Václav

They look quite interesting. I am only worried about safety barriers on basic roads and elevated ones. I am worried about cars will go over them.

I have only small idea for a little more interesting shape of pillars for bridges

But of course, bringing into Simutrans would be very difficult and some things from shape would not be brought as well as they could be.

Fabio

Thank you all 8)

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on August 04, 2010, 10:32:04 AM
They look quite interesting. I am only worried about safety barriers on basic roads and elevated ones. I am worried about cars will go over them.

They are tested and they look ok (because there is the shoulder / safety lane, they don't cover the actual road, which starts with the stripe).
The only issue is with the horizontal diagonal, where the vehicles can overlap the safety barrier by 1 px (and there are also come clipping issue). But IMHO, being an isolated case, the cost/benefit ratio is positive.

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on August 04, 2010, 10:32:04 AM
I have only small idea for a little more interesting shape of pillars for bridges [...]
But of course, bringing into Simutrans would be very difficult and some things from shape would not be brought as well as they could be.

Very impressive! But unfortunately, as you said, they are almost impossible to make with the current code. Anyway, it's goot to have the picture in hands :)

Václav

I tried to paint it once - but I have done two things:
1. upper part is inside basic bridge tile
2. pillar part is fully vertical

You can see it in action if you download this railway pack.

Don't die after seeing it. It is very imperfect.

gauthier

very nice roads  :o
You should create elevated roads for each road ;)

Fabio

ehehehehe, it's a thought :)

In the Plan, 200 km/h will use the tunnel and the elevated road of 130 km/h(for "safety" reason). Thus it is mostly to be used for long stretches.

130 km/h is the complete motorway :)

110 km/h is an expressway with the big advantage of elevated, but without tunnels: 90 km/h should be used for "safety" reason.

90 km/h is the basic intercity road, inclusive tunnels, but doesn't have elevated: if you need them, go for the 110 km/h expressway.

70 km/h (under construction) is a local road, good to link suburbs and factories with the cities or the main network. It will probably have also elevated, for urban use. No tunnels, though, for "safety" reason: use 50 km/h instead.

50 km/h (under construction) is the urban road, used also as default cityroad (there might be a specific "cityroad", which differs only for small details). It has tunnels, but no elevated (if you need them, go for 70 km/h instead)

30 km/h (under construction) is a country dirt road, with no amenities except bridges.

This set will be fully operative around 1970s and will replace gradually (starting probably in 1950s) an earlier set with speed 30 km/h (unchanged), 40 km/h (paved cityroad), 80 km/h (intercity roads) and 100 km/h (early motorways). For this era, no elevated and two tunnels (probably 40 km/h and 80 km/h).

The main goal, beside providing a complete and consistent set, is the choice of the right infrastructure for the appropriate use. Their consistency should make them look good also mixed together (e.g. a 110 km/h slipway for 130 km/h or even 200 km/h; 110 km/h using 90 km/h tunnels; etc...)

ӔO

very nice work, I can't wait to see this completed :D

If you have overlapping problems with the walls on the road, I think you can use the front/back image with roads.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

gauthier

I completely disagree the way you make elevated ways or tunnels for each road, you can make elevated, tunnel and bridge for each way, that would be useful for the user.

Václav

Quote from: AEO on August 04, 2010, 03:34:57 PM
I think you can use the front/back image with roads.

On bridges there is no problem - but other two types don't use back and front images. So you would need to have something like electrification to add it - and it is not quite good idea.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Fabio, those are just absolutely delightful.

Quote from: gauthier on August 04, 2010, 04:45:12 PM
I completely disagree the way you make elevated ways or tunnels for each road, you can make elevated, tunnel and bridge for each way, that would be useful for the user.

I do believe he mentioned making the sources available, so I see no reason to be disagreeable.

Fabio

Thank you, AEO and Isaac!

Quote from: gauthier on August 04, 2010, 04:45:12 PM

This is a relevant opinion. Till now, the speed of roads, bridges and tunnel (only one) hardly matched. My project already lines up the speed much more consistently, without cramming excessively the menu. Elevated and tunnel for every speed is easily doable, though.

I would like to know the opinion of the other players, and specially of VS, Isaac, Zeno and the other pak128 team. I don't feel like painting what it wouldn't/shouldn't be released in the official pak. Sources will be available, as usual, on completion.

I added a poll in this thread, please let me know your opinion.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I only voted "yes to all" because I like having more options to pick and choose - I probably wouldn't install all options, although I might... I haven't gotten to *play* with your mixture, but it *sounds* like a good mixture.

I do strongly feel you should only do what you believe is a good mix - particularly with sources being released, and especially if you don't mind-- if those that want it do it, great (i.e. my philosophy of releasing paks)... :)

I have hopes that I can translate some of your sources into a US-style system... (And one day of convincing Prissi to allow elevated ways on water tiles) :)

(especially because US freeways don't have guardrails all along the way, only where needed at bridges or non-level land - not saying anything is better than anything else, only what I hope to modify on the style :) )

Václav

Me too ... I voted yes for all too ...
but who says that each track (road, railway, maglev and so on) cannot have more than one bridge with different speeds.

Spike

I think restrictions spice up the game, and make people think about the "best" solution. So I voted for the first, restrictive "no" option.