News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

ROADS REPLACEMENT PROJECT

Started by Fabio, September 08, 2009, 09:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uktrain

Waiting for its roll out and I can upgrade my highway from 110km/h.Good job!

Fabio

Hello!

The Road set is officially in Release Candidate status.

Here's the test pak:

http://public.gonella.eu/simutrans/roads/ROADS-0_9RC-pak.zip
And here's the sources (including Gimp master file):

http://public.gonella.eu/simutrans/roads/ROADS-0_9RC-src.zip

Screenshots will follow ASAP, if someone wishes to take and post some, please do it, my net is very bad these days.

I'll happily receive any feedback.

Happy testing!!!

Zeno

Oooohh!!!

*Zeno waves!!!*

We were waiting so long for this... thanks fabio, you're the man!! ;D

VS

Ummmm... I lack the right words. Just this: "waiting was worth it".

Do try out fabio's bus stops on fabio's city roads ;D

Minor nitpicks: urban tunnels could have some fence over entrance, so that Simupeople don't fall to their death. Also, the high level roads & bridges have a bit short pillars. And that's all - both easy to fix. Nearly flawless!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Václav

Elevated ways and bridges need different pictogram on icon - it is not good if it is the same. I think that pictogram for bridges could contain blue curve meaning water - because they can go across water while elevated ways not.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Zeno

I think Vaclav is right... I've already been confused twice in 10 minutes between elevated and bridges. Not needed a new cursor, but a new/different icon would help with that. Maybe just a couple of straight pillars instead of a bridge pictogram would do the job.

Václav

... and also I see on roads following:

1. one pixel space between tiles of dirt road - and also there is similar graphical bug as on roads for speed 50 and 90 km/h

2. roads (and also elevated ways and bridges) for speed 50 and 90 km/h need better transition between tiles - because something what seems like yellow light causes transition between tiles very strange - the worst situation is on elevated way for speed 50 km/h - there it is the most visible

An_dz

OK here are the screens: Click to enlarge
Hope you like.

Ashley

Very very good work, beautiful set :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Junna

The testpak crashes Simutrans with my modified pak128.

Starting the same in Experimental 9.3 displays the following error message:

QuoteFATAL ERROR: realloc()
Could not alloc 0 bytes
PRESS ANY KEY

Starting without this new road pak does not cause this error to appear.

Lmallet

In my case, it seems to have corrupted a game saved in v.102.3.  Was not able to recreate in 110.0.1.

Zeno

I've been able to make a quick-test with the set. Amazing work... superb!!
Thank you very much fabio! :)

Btw, no problems with the set at the moment. It has worked fine for me until now, no problems/incompatibility detected with 110.0.1 + openpak128.

Václav

It would be good, if dat files of tunnels contain also this:
way=road_130 (for example - for tunnel of speed 130 km/h)

greenling

Please contac me then the Road be finished!
Then can we talking over new names for road,bridges and tunnel.

greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Václav

???
I don't understand you, Greenling.

If you would like to suggest new names (but I don't see why - because it will be in translation) for roads, bridges and tunnels, then why did not you write it?

And you can be informed about development of this new set if you don't disable messages about this topic.

greenling

That it´s Simpel VaclavMacurek.
New Roads,Bridges and Tunnels be need new Names that she not override exist old pakfiles!

greenling
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

VS

I think it is safe to state that we* are not that dumb.

* meaning authors on this forum :P

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Václav

But this is prepared for replacing of old pakfiles.

If you would like to play with old files and also with these files, then don't play with singleplayer_install = 1 - and these files extract into folder pak128 created in Documents/Simutrans - if you use Windows - and then start with Load with addons.

-->
You was faster, VS. And of course, you are right too.

greenling

VaclavMacurek
Here the oldes playables simutransgames they i be have:
A Simutrans 0.80.00.0
A Simutrans 0.82.15.7
A Simutrans 0.84.19.0
The do all work on windows 7!
My Complette Simutransfolder have bigness form 17,1 GB.
I Have beginning to make a list from all Simutranspakfiles they i be have.
And i have to beginnig to sort out dobbels pakfiles but i try not to remove rare
Pakfiles!
I Have beginning to make a Photogallary from all Simtranspakfiles they i have.

VS

So, you are in a way a "historian of Simutrans" :)

Djohaal

The roads as they are look absolutely beautiful, but I beleive there's room for some tiny adjustments on the tunnels and bridges in the form of more subtle shading. Take a look at the buildings made by MK500 (is that the name? The guy who made the steel mill, corn farm, ethanol plant, etc). The soft shading that is applied to flat surfaces and curves helps to ease the look of the buildings to the viewer. Of course applying such a thing to repetitive elements such as bridges might be an issue, but I think it's worth investigating.

INJMVO

Quote from: Zeno on March 13, 2011, 04:27:13 PM
I think Vaclav is right... I've already been confused twice in 10 minutes between elevated and bridges. Not needed a new cursor, but a new/different icon would help with that. Maybe just a couple of straight pillars instead of a bridge pictogram would do the job.
I do not know if you've already done this Fabio, but this is my idea for the icon.
I have already modified your png files if you're interested. (icon and cursor)

Fabio

Quote from: Djohaal on April 09, 2011, 02:00:41 AM
The soft shading that is applied to flat surfaces and curves helps to ease the look of the buildings to the viewer. Of course applying such a thing to repetitive elements such as bridges might be an issue, but I think it's worth investigating.
Ty Djohaal. Shading is kind of hard without going 3D (here it's all multilayer 2D), but it might be worth a try (probably in a second time as a 2.0 release :)

Quote from: INJMVO on April 09, 2011, 02:24:36 AM
I do not know if you've already done this Fabio, but this is my idea for the icon.
I have already modified your png files if you're interested. (icon and cursor)
Wow, this is the pictogram concept i couldn't figure out. Thank you very much!
I would need just the image of the pictogram alone (to be integrated in the multilayer source), but the png could be used now by VS for the pakset release. I like it!

Djohaal

Quote from: fabio on April 11, 2011, 09:43:38 AM
Ty Djohaal. Shading is kind of hard without going 3D (here it's all multilayer 2D), but it might be worth a try (probably in a second time as a 2.0 release :)

There should be some guides on pixel art shading on deviantart. You should give it a check. :)
Even more important than shading, I beleive a slight texturing and irregularity on the concrete parts of the structures would be of good use.

uci

Happens with 200km/h elevated roads (image).

Also, the icons for elevated roads and bridges are identical, leading sometimes to confusion (because there are so many icons on the toolbar). Making the pillars of icon bridge a little different, for example, would help.

Zeno

Thanks for the report, uci. Btw, those icons are being already modified with a different pictogram for elevated roads, as far as I know.

Fabio

Thanks, uci.
That bug will be fixed in the next updated release.
The icons will be changed as well, probably earlier as there is already a new version of the pictogram around.

uci

The following two bugs are apparent on the new diagonal roads (image): road too narrow (up) and white artifacts (down).

Zeno

Is this screenshot from the new release (1.99 alpha) or an older one?

uci

Fabio

Road too narrow: in a way it's a feature more than a bug. This is the gravel road and it's expected to barely fit two crossing vehicles.

White stripe: is it also unzoomed? Rather ugly, instead the upmost margin, that definitely needs to be fixed!