News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Blender and GIMP: For the winners!

Started by IgorEliezer, September 14, 2009, 07:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

O hay!

I'm making some important progress with Blender and starting with GIMP.

Blender is that tool that people like to curse a lot because of its non-intuitive interface. Let me show us some results:

1) This is my material test: glasses, mirrors, shaders and such...

2) Testing lights and textures in a room: it gave me headache, but it was fun at the end.

3) This is the GIMP, an image editor. I'm learning it together with Blender.

You should know, various members of Simutrans community use both Blender and GIMP to make add-ons. On the other hand, I'm obligated to learn (I'm too late, to say the truth) these kind of programs.

Finally, children, when you have a dream ("I have a dream") and you fight for it, you make it real.

That's it.

Zeno

Yet another adept. Welcome to the blended world!
Btw, I should also learn the GIMP. I use mainly Photoshop, but just because I'm used to it over the years... maybe it's the time for a change ;)

vilvoh

I knew it!! finally, Igor was forced to paint something, with BiG of course.... ;D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

helifino

Don't forget to set ortho mode on blender's camera.

Fabio

I love GIMP and i use it for all the objects I paint, but I never managed to go 3D...

Break a leg, Igor! ;)

IgorEliezer

Okay, a new step forward: I made my 1st animation in Blender.

It's just 3 seconds long. Sorry, I was afraid that Blender would take too long if I made a longer movie.

colonyan

Ah, I should come visit here. I started reading blender online manual from official site.
Learned about basic camera and interface.
Oh yes, we will make lots of awsome graphics for ST! :)

helifino

Quote from: IgorTekton on October 09, 2009, 02:20:03 AMIt's just 3 seconds long. Sorry, I was afraid that Blender would take too long if I made a longer movie.

Nice start.  :)  When I've rendered movies in the past, I start it at bedtime and just let it run overnight.

IgorEliezer

One more step forward: Blender Game Engine ;D

... and my Interactive Animation.

It's a tiny 3D model where you can walk in and navigate. Download the zip, unpack, and double-click on EXE.

Controls:

Up arrow = Forward
Down arrow = Reverse
Left arrow = Turn left
Right arrow = Turn right
PgUp = Look up
PgDwn = Look down

IgorEliezer

Well, I finished the "Getting Started" part of GIMP User Manual yesterday. I'm amazed with GIMP powerfulness. :D

Why not to start something new? http://www.scribus.net/

helifino

Scribus has a nearly vertical learning curve.  How about FreeCAD instead? 

VS

OMG! Scribus! You will learn soon to love the blue ball icon, which resurrects it so faithfully after every crash. Actually... it is a lot better than it used to be. My brother used it for school magazine so I know the typical workflow as of five months ago ;D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

helifino

Quote from: VS on October 13, 2009, 10:19:55 PMYou will learn soon to love the blue ball icon, which resurrects it so faithfully after every crash.

If you learn to love the crash recovery feature, there's a problem - it's crashing too much.  ;)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: helifino on October 13, 2009, 10:14:02 PM
How about FreeCAD instead?

Looks interesting...

I'm wanting to learn Scribus because I'll need to create some presentations and publications of my works... any day. I got sick of MS Word and related stuff... >.>

Does this FreeCAD support scripting? Because I'm used to create my own programs on CAD, like polyline lenght somatory, object handles/counters etc... (I heard Python somewhere?)

After Scribus, I think of taking over Inkscape. ;D

EDIT:

Well Scribus could be as "neato" as GIMP is... bland buttons make it a tad boring...

... nah! who cares? For one who started to mess with computers at Windows 3.1 era...

helifino

I found out about FreeCAD from here, and they say yes, it has a python scripting environment like blender has:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/10/freecad_open_source_design_software.html

Spike

Quote from: IgorTekton on October 14, 2009, 02:19:51 AM
After Scribus, I think of taking over Inkscape. ;D

I've installed Inksape and want to get more practice with it, too. Just all the time other things look more pressing to me ... but some day I'll explore the world of vector graphics, too.