News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Rename Stops Renaming the City

Started by Maragil, August 24, 2009, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maragil

Well, we could have a campaign to make *new* stop names :). Newport Hub Stop sounds a bit boring.

Could it be made possible to change the name of a city, and as such the names of all the stops?

I.e, original name - Lincoln.
Stop A = Lincoln city Stop

New name- London
As such, could it be possible to change the name of Stop A to London City Stop?

Any suggestions?

H./

skreyola

Quote from: Maragil on August 24, 2009, 03:43:45 PM
Well, we could have a campaign to make *new* stop names :). Newport Hub Stop sounds a bit boring.

Could it be made possible to change the name of a city, and as such the names of all the stops?

I.e, original name - Lincoln.
Stop A = Lincoln city Stop

New name- London
As such, could it be possible to change the name of Stop A to London City Stop?

Any suggestions?
I would love to see this one. Back before I created my own cityname file, I was constantly forgetting to change the random town names to something more distinctive (All those Apping* towns got confusing) or shorter (Appingchester would take over the map with its name) until after I'd placed a dozen or so stations, so that I had to either remove and re-add each station, or rename each station by hand.
*support*
My suggestion is that the town renamer look at each stop within the city limits and change it if and only if it contains the old town name. :) Wouldn't affect external stops, in case two towns had ended up with the same name.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Maragil

can a mod please separate this topic?

H./

Fabio

VS

I have not even started looking at the "real stuff" that needs to be done there, but even now I can show you something extraordinarily funny. For some reason textboxes in Simutrans always act in "real time", so the name changes literally as you type, with each keystroke.

Take a station like "Appington Apache settlement". You want to rename the city, so you delete the name and... whoops! As you remove the letters, the name changes to App, then Ap, and the next deletion makes it just A and replaces Ap with A, where the trouble start. You get "A Aache settlement". Last keystroke makes it an empty string, so even both capital As are dropped and you get " ache settlement". Now you start typing a new name. Exactly what should the program do when the last name it remembers is nothing?

Obviously it can be done - everything can - but not the obvious way :-(

EDIT: of course just the first occurrence should be replaced, so at least some of the worries should not hold true... we'll see.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

werl

you can change the name of a city, go into city info and click on the name, delete then type new name.
C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: werl on March 07, 2010, 08:59:42 AM
you can change the name of a city, go into city info and click on the name, delete then type new name.

Maybe you should re-read this thread to find out what was really being discussed here... it's not like people don't know how to rename cities.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

werl

sorry about that.

ps. LOVE the jokes that you have in your signature.
C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run