News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

General Inquiry: Your Fun Element in ST

Started by colonyan, October 23, 2009, 11:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

Just from pure curiosity.
   What is the point in ST which make you play it regulary and/or for such a long time?

I just try to name my reasons. 
  -Feature:        Cargo with destinations. Logic in how cargo moves.
  -Vehicles:       You just love vehicles in general.
  -Management: You just love make things flow smoothly.
  -Your Garden: You grow not flowers and plants but cities.
                       Mixtures of different geographic elements and buildings create
                       almost infinite possibilities of paysage/scenary.
  -Expandability: Addon creation and sharing. Your imagination is only limit.

prissi

Management. I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished.

Lmallet

Management.  I like to try to cram as many trains as possible on a double track line, and find original ways to keep things flowing.

Combuijs

I can't tell it any better than Prissi. I absolutely agree!
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

mobo

Expandability: The moment when you see your newly drawn building appear in game is absolutely priceless.

VS

Every time I return, the game has been improved somewhat, and there is some new capability to explore.

Every time I return, there is another world to play with.

Every time there is opportunity to build a great network running efficiently in the conditions of this world... this is where all challenge lies for me.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Spike

Network construction.

Edit: And what Prissi said.

einself

Definitely, the possibility to expand ST as you like it! In all other games I miss this feature. If you want to change something, just change it.
Apart from this, I absolutely agree with Prissi.

vilvoh

undoubtedly Expandability. Every time I see some vehicle or building I start thinking how it would look into the game.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

ASV62

Quote from: Lmallet on October 24, 2009, 12:21:43 AM
Management.  I like to try to cram as many trains as possible on a double track line, and find original ways to keep things flowing.
I love to duel with local trains and rapid trains. While rapid trains passing stations and stopping local trains I felt excited.
I'd love to see if rapid trains keeps the major city grows

People who was born with this kind of lifestyle is an artist, while talents are philosophist ....

wipi35

When starting a game: Construction. Making efficient and nice-looking connections between cities or factories. Creating well organised cities.
Afterwards: Management. Avoiding deadlocks and waiting trains, keeping nr of waiting passengers/goods low, avoiding trains to run with insufficient load.

KrazyJay

Vehicles (esp. trains and a bit of planes) and management. And of course, it matches my previous studies. Also very important, the forums: a nice way to stay in touch with those obsessed with the same subjects as I am.
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

prissi

Maybe this topic is a great inspiration what to put on www.simutrans.com as catchline ...

wernieman

Bilding a Networjk .. and Managment

What prissi, Hajo and VS said

But .... I loos the interesting when I only must Trasport mass of Peaple on Older maps ...
I hope you understand my English

VS

Maybe off topic, but... for me the fun ends, when the demand for transport is far greater than what I can manage. I guess that's just saying the same with different words.

Thanks for this topic!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Should be town growth then set to smaller values? ANd the same for amount of passengers? (As default I mean?)

Spike

I'd say, yes. But it might trigger a race of players trying even harder to sponsor town growth.

Fabio

-My Garden: when I play I want to build transport solutions which i would like to see in reality, but i know they won't ever be implemented-- let's say the best network in a dream city. I don't care about money (I'm a freeplayer, budget is already the main issue in RL transport, here I want things to go the way they "should".

-Expandability: I can't remember last time I actually played. But I keep on (and love) painting objects to improve pak128, to make it more realistic or more "the way things should be"

;)

Quote from: prissi on October 25, 2009, 07:36:55 PM
Maybe this topic is a great inspiration what to put on www.simutrans.com as catchline ...
definitely!

Colin

Quote from: prissi on October 23, 2009, 11:44:50 PM
Management. I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished.

Couldn't have put it better. I play at least 4-5 hrs per day, unless I get heckled into washing the dishes, mowing the lawn, feeding the dog. etc, etc, etc.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

wing044

I love to optimize my transport network as much as possible in Simutrans. I try to carry as many people as possible without investing in new rails and vehicles. It is fun to have 70+ trains/month running on a rail line.

rainer

Management. No further comment to what the other friends said.
I love to reign over complex networks!

Ters

Building a complex network and watching the (hopefully) smooth flow of trains through the landscape to their correct platforms. And I like it when the maps are so big that the trains have to travel some distance through the countyside, although this causes latency in the network that is less fun to deal with.

ElectroCyber

Sorry for my bad English...

Matthi205

Management...I often don't make a profitable line,so I start again and again till I get it profitable...BIG CHALLENGE!Just some paks which aren't balanced in my eyes:pak64:too little money for passenger Transport,pak128:too much transported freight,i.e. not 10 tons,it's being a 100!But I'm satisfied with all other paks...
The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D