News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Outer marker

Started by hvdkooij, October 31, 2009, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvdkooij

For large arifields it would be nice to have an outer marker. Similar to a lighthouse on boats.

If you have multiple runways the planes would stack up on the outer marker and not right in front of the runways.

I hope you catch my drift.

DirrrtyDirk

What you (seem to) mean is actually called a holding fix, not an outer marker (that's something else). And I'm not sure such a thing is really needed... especially since I don't even understand the difference between large airfields with multiple runways and smaller ones with just a single runway on that matter...

Can you go into some more details what you want the effect to be (other than having the aircraft circle a little farther away from the runway than now)?

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

hvdkooij

The point is that now airplanes decide on the runway to land on as soon as the aircraft takes off. But if they take off on the other end of the map it takes a while to arrive and the decision then might not be smart by the time the aircraft arrives at the destination.

So a distribution point shortly before the central airport would be very usefull.

TheMacpau

Ah OK so you want some sort of aerial choose signal?

Combuijs

Aircraft loading area automatically work as if there is choose signal, but airplanes indeed check their destination while taking off. This is necessary to give them a route, e.g. a target runway. It would be better if airplanes just before landing recheck if the destination is still correct, e.g. reachable by the designated runway. If that's not the case it might check other runways connected to the requested loading area.

I don't think an extra signal is needed, I think the program should be updated slightly.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

prissi

Airplanes will always take the same runways, it is not choosesn at take off time. YOu can only force the use of other runways with waypoints.