News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Free games that don't suck

Started by jamy015, October 31, 2009, 01:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamy015

Exactly what the title says. I'll begin with of course...

Simutrans

I don't think this needs any explanation...
Home: www.simutrans.com
Download: http://simutrans.com/download.htm

{ Removed references to other game -Isaac.Eiland-Hall }

Ashley

Moved topic to Forum Lounge, discussion of non-Simutrans games should be kept here please.

Also, this seems a lot like advertising (especially since this game is non-free) so I've removed the links in your post to it.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Matthi205

One other free game that does NOT suck:Battle for Wesnoth (this game is licensed under GPL) homepage:http://www.wesnoth.org/.Big community,and there's lots of campaigns to download,I'm playing it since v1.2,which means 2006,and still enjoing it...Here's a screenshot: .

PS:that's from where my avatar is...Elvish Marshal-melee attack...
The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

jamy015

Quote from: Timothy on October 31, 2009, 01:49:32 PM
Moved topic to Forum Lounge, discussion of non-Simutrans games should be kept here please.

Also, this seems a lot like advertising (especially since this game is non-free) so I've removed the links in your post to it.

It isn't. If it was, i wouldn't post the stuff about how to make the iWin Games Manager less annoying, would i?

Ashley

Well I was in two minds about that. I'm drawing the line at posting direct links to commercial non-free games (and that's free as in speech, not free as in beer...)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm more inclined to let people who have been around the community for a while discuss other games, but much less inclined to let someone whose first post is to talk about other games.

Please pardon my suspicions and prejudices, but we have had folks come in here whose sole purpose was to try and get people to leave us and go to their game.

I'm also locking this topic for now. This will probably not be permanent, but the admins are discussing the subject. In all probability, it will be unlocked, but we'd like a moment to figure out the guidelines on what to allow here first. Please forgive this probably-temporary inconvenience.

Spike

I'm inclined to allow all sort of discussion in the forum lounge, even links to commercial games, if the people who post such links are otherwise active in the Simutrans community. For example forum members with a good number of on topic messages already. Also, I'd like to see it in form of a discussion, not just "This is a good game".

It's hard to draw a line. Saying 10 messages will mean we get 10 meaningless postings to up the count, and then a advertisement. So I don't say any number here. Just the longer and the better known someone is among the forums, the less is the danger of being misjudged by a mod for a link or posting.

Isaac decided, and so this topic stays locked as a warning for all readers that some of the mods are itchy on the topic of advertisements, even if others are more relaxed.