Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

New York City - pak128

Started by ny911, November 23, 2009, 06:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ny911

savegame for Simutrans 102.2.1 2859, pak128 1.4.5-102

Introduction

We are writing the year 1960 and the mayor of the City New York has a great vision, a city
with a useful public transport system. So he starts to collect money from all towns in the
area, including Jersey too. After a time the bank account shows 2.000.000 for his great vision.

Now he is looking up for a skilled manager of the new public transport company. Quit difficult,
because nearly everyone is asking him a lot of questions. The mayor decided to creat a list of facts:

start year1960
money 2.000.000
map-size 1024*1024
inhabitants 2.200.000
cities~80
factories~70
public airports  5
public markers a lot

And the visionary mayor did also make an very short list of the rules from the city council decisions :

• no more bridge or tunnel of any kind over the Hudson River
  • you are free to build any bridge or tunnel over the east river
  • all city must have the "Allow city growth" on
  • city building demolition is expensive (*5 as normal)
  • no more factories in future  (set under "settings"/"industry_increase_every = 0")
  • you are allowed to support industry goods too,  necessary are only workers at the factories
  • build your big company headquarter (HQ) on  "Governors Island", attention HQ's are very expensive
  • try to reach for minimum one full year in Midtown  (city statistic) a rate of service:
      Delivered / Passengers = greater 0.95  (that's 95%)
  • support the airports, also the NonUS-airport
  • mail support would be great, but isn't necessary
If this challenge is yours, start being the manager of a great public transport system in New York City.

savegame: http://ul.to/urrxp7

(edit: savegame is now exactly starting 1960/jan/01 )
(note: first version of scenario is placed in pak128 scenario folder)
(UPDATE 2013/01/26: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3812.msg111322#msg111322)

notes:
I tried to make a realistic map of the NYC area. In just a view points I changed it. The local Towns are more or less at the right place. I ad more/bigger rivers. The buildings in Manhattan are partly to small, but otherwise it would be to much population. For a lot of sightseeing points (Statue of Liberty, WTC, UN-Building, Empire State, Times Square, ...) are only normal attractions form the pak128 used. At the airports there are a lot of attraction to get a bit of passenger traffic.

Anime

Nice! Finally an interesting challenge. I'll have a look at it immediatly :p

Edit :
It's a bit too big lol. It's hard to start anywhere on the map, have you already started the challenge?

ny911

Yes, I played it one time to find the things which need to be corrected.
I started at Downtown, D.-Brooklyn, Greenwich bringing people to the factories.

Anime

can you post your save? How did you do all the stops? and which vehicles do you use?

ny911

my game will folllow later. Yes, to make the stops takes a long time (weeks).
The question after the vehicles is difficult. I take all kind, train, tram, bus, ship.
For Manhattan I use a lot (about 10) subway trains in a multi-level-underground.
Main Trains: RVg Hiawatha Express (to earn money) and SHI D-231 "Shy" for mass transport
Main Bus: mostly the newest one
Main Tram: Due WAG GT6

Anime

can you post your save, so that we can see how it may look..?

AP

Have to say, that's quite a map!

Just to clarify, before I give it too much thought, the "aims" are

• Reach a passenger delivery ratio of 0.95 (95%) in Midtown
  • build a BIG company HQ on Governor's Island
  • schedule fights to each of the to the 5x airports on the map

ny911

Quote from: AP on November 27, 2009, 04:12:29 PM
Just to clarify, before I give it too much thought, the "aims" are

• Reach a passenger delivery ratio of 0.95 (95%) in Midtown
  • build a BIG company HQ on Governor's Island
  • schedule fights to each of the to the 5x airports on the map

Yes! The flights might be also necessary for the passenger delivery ratio of 95%.

Quote from: Anime on November 25, 2009, 06:33:01 AM
can you post your save, so that we can see how it may look..?

Yes, when I manged all "aims". But here es a small preview.

I'm still trying to find a way to decrease the waiting passenger at the factory
in Greenwich and Lower East Side. And the "Washington Bridge" is a big bottleneck.

Anime

ny911

Here it is! A savegame (pak128, 102.2.1) with a nearly full public transportation system in NYC area.
Nearly 4000 vehicle, around 280 lines (express trains, subway, ferries, air, bus). I reached the 95%
in 1975/Jan. In Manhattan are partly more than five underground levels used. The Mail-Service is
still in process.

savegame : http://ul.to/ne9ie7 ( new_york_city_1_v15.sve  12.3 MB)

Anime

Nice :p I'd love to start your challenge too, but I don't have enought time to :(

Dwachs

Really nice challenge!

Two questions:

• Is it allowed to build more airports? Like in Central Park for example..
  • Is it allowed to fuill up the Hudson river? then one can cross it without bridges ;)
I suppose the answer is 'No' to both questions, but I had to ask.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Spike

The central park airport itself must be underground, and starting and landing must be done through tunnels ;)

I bet someone will file that as change request soon ;D

ny911

Quote from: Dwachs on December 02, 2009, 10:32:01 AM

• Is it allowed to build more airports? Like in Central Park for example..
Well, we have no "city council decisions" which prohibit this. But I think it's
very unrealistic. And you will have big problems to carry all the people in the
60' with the small airplanes.

Quote from: Dwachs on December 02, 2009, 10:32:01 AM

• Is it allowed to fuill up the Hudson river? then one can cross it without bridges ;)
;) Why not "Lower Bay" and "Upper Bay" too!
Answer : No

eddielexx

I'd like to know if I can edit this svegame, cuz I'd like to be able to allow new industries to form. And btw, is there any posibility for this map to be totally covered with cities, like real NYC?

ny911

Quote from: eddielexx on January 17, 2010, 07:58:50 PM
I'd like to know if I can edit this svegame, cuz I'd like to be able to allow new industries to form.

Yes, look to your email box.

Quote from: eddielexx on January 17, 2010, 07:58:50 PM
And btw, is there any possibility for this map to be totally covered with cities, like real NYC?

Well, I tried it. I wasn't able to fix the problem with too much inhabitants.
If the cities outside Manhattan getting bigger (with small buildings only) , it's still to much.

eddielexx

U r the lord!!!!!
Thanky from my heart :D

I will post my savegame next week, I have exams this eek, so I am only playin for hour or two. I am concentrated on Industries now, so it is not very interesting in the beginnin, and when I develop industries, I will start makin passengers lines. OOO it is gonna be exciting :D THKU

And BTW, Simutrans has Population limit??

prissi

Technically yes, as some counters on the display will choke on on 2^31-1. But since this means more than level 100 on every tile of a 2096x4096 map, I am sure the routing of those masses will make the game unplayable much earlier.

ny911

Quote from: prissi on January 20, 2010, 10:25:55 PM
I am sure the routing of those masses will make the game unplayable much earlier.

Yes, on the NYC-Map it's for me between 2^21 to 2^22 (depending on the PC) !!

In my opinion it would be great to have the opportunity to make different kind of cities
with the "found a new city" tool. So it may be more realistic in a view areas.
e.g.

• very sparsely populated
  • sparsely populated
  • normal city
  • densely populated
  • very densely populated

eddielexx

Hey People !
I played this map, connecting Freight.
I have a problem, all my factories work on full power, and I simply can't build enough ships for hauling all those stuff, I have 10kt of steel in every single Dock that needs it :( How to get rid of it somehow? I have 19M debt and 1.5M of profit.... I simply can't stop building ships :D It is madness!!! I hope that one day I will see black numbers on my account balance place :D
I'm just afraid of bankruptcy. And yeah, I decided to start building public transport when I get in positive :D But it seems that my passenger will waiiit for long. If someone wants to fight with my debt, I can upload my savegame :D

jklamo

Great scenario. And very long. I suppose to complete it sometime in 2013 (real year, not game year) :-) Now i am in gameyear 1977, have 560 vehicles, fair profit and 25% of the goal..

asaphxiix

amazing. your fulfilled version of the scenario (15) is by far the coolest i've seen of this game so far (narrowly beats some guy's sve of the world airports)

Combuijs

The heightmap of this game is now available on Simutrans Maps under the name of New York City.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Gilles

Excuse me, but... does anyone still have the "blank" savegame?

ny911

Quote from: Gilles on July 06, 2011, 03:34:27 PM
Excuse me, but... does anyone still have the "blank" savegame?
"blank" savegame ?

• savegame like in the first Post (start year 1960),
    that's a "blank" savegame for me
  • clean map like it is on Simutrans Maps
    http://maps.simutrans.com

Gilles

Quote from: ny911 on July 06, 2011, 05:28:22 PM

• savegame like in the first Post (start year 1960),
    that's a "blank" savegame for me

That one. The link was broken for me yesterday. Sorry. ;) Thanks anyway.

ny911

first update of New York city scenario:

for nightly r6232 and pak128 2.2.0
script is only in english (beta version)

Link: New York City Scenario V 0.3 (zip 4.43 MB, download until 06. Apr 2013)
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/new_york_city_beta_v03.zip

It's a beta version scenario and it has 12 new extra stuff options/goals.
pleasce post your experiences, that I can improve scenario and find bugs.

Dwachs

eXtremeCZ

Amazing scenario, thank you :)
There's one thing that's annoying to me - station coverage 2. I have to build sooo many stops very close to each other. I enjoy connecting cities (disctricts), but not making so many stops in almost every street. But it's probably realistic, isn't it? :)

dennosius

It is a bit annoying. I switched to using underground (light) trains extensively for urban transportation. Usually in circular lines with station length 2, so it's 6x6 tiles covered by a station and less need to worry how the street above is.

Fifty

You can change station coverage on existing maps through the secret settings dialog:

Quote from: Fifty on May 29, 2012, 04:42:25 PM
Just open menuconf.tab, located in pakxyz/config, change
#dialog_tool[27]=
to some unused keyboard shortcut, for example "~" and remove the #
dialog_tool[27]=,~

Then open the game, press ~ (or whatever button you chose)

Once you have opened this dialogue in the game you want to change station coverage in, just switch to the routing tab, change "station_coverage" to whatever value you desire. Then close the dialog, save the game, and reload. Voila!
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

ny911

Next Update:

New York City Scenario version 0.5 beta for nightly r6288 and pak128 2.2.0 r1140
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/new_york_city_beta_v05.zip (4,43 MB until 2013-07-04)

savegames from version 0.3  can be used (please give me feedback if there are problems).

New:
    more bonus stuff targets
    messages for player
    helptext with links
    and a lot more small things ....

still known problem: The "Airport-Tools" can't be enabled. Please delete script Line 497 completely.

ny911

Quotechange station coverage
good to know, so I will have to change the script code watching the coverage, e.g. if coverage > 2 then pax target  > 98% or so. But I'm not sure if it's possible in the moment to catch the station coverage in the scenario scripting.

QuoteI have to build so many stops very close to each other.
first the work, then the fun of a great network! To have a some breaks in placing all the stops you can use the bonus stuff to have variety in your work.

Dwachs

Changing station coverage by script will not be possible, I am afraid. It has the potential to break a lot of things.

sdog

@ny911 would you mind to post a screenshot in this part of the thread? (Helps to post about it in social media).