News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

New York City - pak128

Started by ny911, November 23, 2009, 06:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ny911

here are five screenshots (links for normal picture size):

sdog

thanks a lot.
sorry for the long delay though.

asaphxiix

nice! I guess you haven't gotten around to do the other 4 boroughs... and jersey :)

Junna

No matter what scenario I chose, this and others, it says "loading scenario script failed." Latest nightly pak128 and exe.

Dwachs

Please try to download the 'complete' nightly-package (the one that includes translations and also some script files).
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

ny911

Dwachs agreement provided, this scenario (version 0.5) can also be included in pak128 to replace the old one.

Note: please change the name in pak128 from "New York" to "New York City"  (One is a state, the other a city)
I'm looking forward to provide also the old scenario scripts at the scenarios.simutrans.com (still in development).

The next update of this scenario will get a choice option to reduce target level and/or the extra stuff in the scenario. But this will take time.

Dwachs

Sure this should be added to the repository. But still there is the old NY scenario around. How does your extended script works on the old scenario?

Maybe we could make two scenarios: a simple one  - just the passenger goal. And the complex one - with all the bonus stuff. Both could/should be based on the same savegame.

If the script gots added to an official repository, one also has to struggle with savegame compatibility: new versions of script have to be able to load savegames saved with older scripts.

ny911

QuoteHow does your extended script works on the old scenario?
Works with all versions from 0.2 on. The version 0.1 did have a few errors in the map (missing industries and specially wrong bridge foundations prevent any bridge building in Downtown) so there is a big difference.

Quotenew versions of script have to be able to load savegames saved with older scripts
Well I'm more ore less sure it will load, but only load.  :-[

QuoteMaybe we could make two scenarios: a simple one  - just the passenger goal. And the complex one - with all the bonus stuff. Both could/should be based on the same savegame.

That's what I liked to do for the next version. Depending on the available tools it's like the choose option in the swiss one or with a new users_select_function.

When I think about it: Let's wait to add/replace it to the repository. So I can take care about the compatibility, inside scenario switch (simple/complex) and more language support.

Dwachs

Could we include your new map to be used by the old script?

ny911

Quote from: Dwachs on March 06, 2013, 07:08:00 PM
Could we include your new map to be used by the old script?
Yes, it works. But it takes the JFK parking area instead of the airport (both is a legal halt_x()  )

You have to insert in the update function the new place:
   airports.jfk = { pos = [966, 494] }

Dwachs

I updated the scenario in the pak128-repository: change the savegame and adjusted the script.

benste

Hi Ny911,

i recently opened the scenario in the most recent dev version of Simutrans and it got a whole lot harder. So far I would have the following recommodations for you:

Gameplay:
* Softslopes are introduced which allow trains only go up 1 tile within two tiles length. Existing Roads, bridges look very weird, but even worse to create a slope to get up one tile you now need at least three soil moving operations. This is not only getting more expensive but making the swiss scenario with it's per year restrictions for landscaping changes per city very hard. I'd recommend multiplying the existing limit with 2 or 3 to make it a bit easier.

Grafical:

* All lakes need to be converted from canal style to real water - new canals will make them look like a chessboard with small islands in between
* A lot of work : - all bridges, cities with slopes ... need to be "redevelloped" in terms of existing transport infrastructure.

I'm sorry to say but even though i like the way the new system works it's requiring a lot of conversion work for the old scenarios.

laos

Fantastic scenario - thanks for making it. As a native New Yorker i'm impressed by how beautifully detailed Manhattan Island is. Map is very difficult though as of Simutrans r7175 and nothing seems easily profitable.

Any word on a simutrans-experimental build? That, or a Pak128.Britain compatible build so that I can at least run the save on experimental? It does boot though a long list of industries are lost in the process.

ny911

@laos : welcome to the forum

Thanks, yes it's difficult, but it is possible to win the scenario.

For any other pakset the complete map with all buildings, roads, tunnels, ... and the setup of the third player needs to be rebuild. Even if there is only a difference on the industry chain or a difference in the maximum of city buildings generated traffic it would not run perfect, if it runs.

laos

Ah I see. I figured that the paks were bound much more tightly than I thought with these scenarios. Thank you for the clarification in any case.

For now I'll have to figure out how to achieve profitability :)

Is it best to wait before building subways? I start right away with subways  supported by buses and it seems to quickly run into debt over maintenance costs.

ny911

Well there are a lot of way to earn money:

• make two/three bus-lines in town which are fare away, connect them with a surface train/subway
  • start with goods, where it is possible to transport in both ways
  • connect factory's/shops in downtown to city's around, make money with ferry's
  • later using airplanes to nonUS airport if you have partly covert Manhattan
For my own, I start in downtown with ferry's and build up a long speed train line to somewhere suburban. Later I build up a bus and tram network in Midtown to start my first subway to the downtown area. And don't even think to drop a station at a Manhattan factory/attraction, your network will collapse later.
In the most cases of this scenario you will need to have very profitable train- & ferry-lines to pay your bus-lines and the subway maintenance.

laos

Quote from: ny911 on October 26, 2014, 04:25:17 PM
Well there are a lot of way to earn money:

• make two/three bus-lines in town which are fare away, connect them with a surface train/subway
  • start with goods, where it is possible to transport in both ways
  • connect factory's/shops in downtown to city's around, make money with ferry's
  • later using airplanes to nonUS airport if you have partly covert Manhattan
For my own, I start in downtown with ferry's and build up a long speed train line to somewhere suburban. Later I build up a bus and tram network in Midtown to start my first subway to the downtown area. And don't even think to drop a station at a Manhattan factory/attraction, your network will collapse later.
In the most cases of this scenario you will need to have very profitable train- & ferry-lines to pay your bus-lines and the subway maintenance.

Thanks for the tips! I'll experiment with them and see where I can get.