News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.3 - no cooled goods create cart in 1854

Started by jeffatsqi, December 12, 2009, 02:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffatsqi

In trying to move meat from the slaughter-house to the butcher in 1854 I could on find a current cart. I did find an obsolete cart and used that with the 223% penalty.

This seams like an oversight. The manufacture of the Stage Wagon would not have terminated production if it was to only option on the market. So, if they stopped production it must have been becuase a better option came to the market. Where is it ;).
Simutrans economics labs at www.osnv.org

The Hood

It's the train... :)

Stage wagons couldn't compete with the train, so they stopped production.  Simple as that.  Road transport really wasn't a good option back then.

jamespetts

Perhaps we should at least have a very basic cart to enable transport to the station? Those were used until motor vehicles took over in the 1920s, I think. The stage wagons, though, are intended for long distance transport, which, as The Hood said, were replaced by rail. But perhaps its retirement date is still too early...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

There's always the standard wagons...  These should be available 1750-1918

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

But this doesn't explain why it isn't available in 1854 - is this another case of errant timeline values in the experimental pak?

jamespetts

Ahh - have spotted the error: the introduction dates are set to 13750 instead of 1750. Should be fixed in the next version. Is this a problem in Standard, too?

The Hood

Yes - the typo is in the standard version too.  One to fix for the next release.  Thanks for the report, and sorry for assuming it was an experimental-only problem!

Edit: Now fixed in standard SVN r237

jeffatsqi

Thanks for the followup on this.

A quick note on competitive forces:

Transportation alternatives compete on cost, topology and implementation costs. So just being more cost efficient does not mean a technology is dominate and will force other alternative completely out of the market.

In my specific case the slaughter house and market were both deeply embedded in a large city. Impossible to build a rail link between them. So a cart is the only option.

In summary, while rail dominates between cities the less efficient carts are still viable, and needed, within cities. Thus market forces would keep both technologies being produced and meat carts would only be driven out of production by a better solution to transport inside the cities -the truck.

The Hood

@jeffatsqi,

Your comments are indeed what is supposed to happen in pak128.Britain, but the date bug on the wagon prevented that.  To be clear - the cooled goods stage wagon is intended as long distance, hence it is phased out as trains arrive, but the more basic wagon is available until 1918 when there are a range of urban vans and trucks available instead.

jeffatsqi

The Hood,

Thanks for the clarification. It is much appreciated.

However, I have a question. By "basic" wagon do you mean the 1 create cool wagon or the standard 3 create wagon? If the later I don,t think meat will load on that vehicle.

The Hood

I mean the 3 crate cool wagon, which is identical to the standard 3 crate wagon, except it loads meat :)

Currently you will only see it with the timeline off because of the above mentioned bug.