News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Airport Expansion Ideas

Started by Fuzzy Peach, January 05, 2010, 02:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy Peach

In Pak128 it seems that it's lacking in airport taxiways and runways, ex: we have times when we have aircraft hangars but nothing else. We also only have one runway which is quite expensive, my idea was to make a few more runways for earlier times that would be cheaper then tarmac runways. ex: grass or gravel runways, also to make some more taxiways to go along with these. ex: grass taxiway and gravel taxiway (possibly open ground taxiing, it wouldn't be that hard, just make some lights and make no actual ground, it should just use what's underneath it right?) I could make some of them but they probably wouldn't be that good...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

A loooong time I ago I was asked if I could do some grass-based runway... long story short, I don't have the skills :-(

...so just to say: I'd like to see. :) And even if they weren't good enough to be officially included, they could always be put on addons.simutrans.com :)

VS

Please check nightly of pak128 and then comment... there have been "some" additions recently ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Václav

I would be pleased if somebody could explain me using of these parts (as they are in menu on picture tied to post): 3 (if it has the same max speed as 2), 12, 13 and 14 (when it is not build on taxiway).

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

DirrrtyDirk

In Simutrans those are basically just eye candy. In other words, they don't do much else than making airports look more realistic. And how and where to place them... we (especially myself) had hoped the cursor would show that well enough.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Václav

What is purpose of modern runway when it has the same speed as old runway and it is not visible different? And what is purpose of parts I marked numbers 12, 13 and 14 when they are not built on taxiway?

Are they prepared for some vehicles what now are not in game (for example zeppelins or helicopters) or what are their purpose? Making airport more real is nice but there is needed stronger (?better) purpose.

Can they be used by planes as alternative waiting place (stop) or how they are used?

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, at least in nightly r793 here, old and modern runways a) look different, b) are available in a different time, c) have different speeds, d) different costs and e) different weight limits (in case these ever get used). So I really don't know what your problem is there... What more difference do you want?

And #12, 13 and 14 are coded as (minimum level) extension buildings - and they work as such (unfortunately)* but i repeat: they are mainly just for the looks. So it's up to you if you use them or not. They are no more plane stops (or have any moren hidden functions) than the radar antenna or the tower or the terminal buildings among which they are placed on the menu.

*) I'd rather have them without function at all (but I want them as player buildings, not as curiosities, so that's the best that could be done so far)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Actually, it's my understanding that the radar antenna does have a small chance of summoning aliens.

Er, oops. I don't think I was supposed to reveal that.

(Just poking my head in here and having a little fun :) )

Václav

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on January 05, 2010, 03:35:10 PM
Ok, at least in nightly r793 here, old and modern runways a) look different, b) are available in a different time, c) have different speeds, d) different costs and e) different weight limits (in case these ever get used). So I really don't know what your problem is there... What more difference do you want?

In older versions was modern runway built like old runway - and had different speed (I think it was two times higher). But now they are built only over old runways and has the same speed - 360 km/h.

DirrrtyDirk

Are you by any chance mixing up the extended marking and lighting for modern runway with something? Otherwise I don't understand what you're talking about, I'm afraid...

Václav

extended marking and lighting for modern runway - finally you wrote what it is. It was all what I want to know. So it is needed to give comprehensible name to it - because from original name is not purpose of this object clear.

DirrrtyDirk

Oh it seems the object is not yet part of the translator... well, at least that's what "extMrkLgt" is supposed to mean in the object name.

But one could figure it out, since it is way too cheap for a runway, it cannot be built on its own, and it has a little "+" in the icon (it is just some more eye candy way-object, but of course it doesn't electrify the runway ;)). Still, it certainly needs to be added to translator by someone who knows how... to make things easier to understand. But hey, after all this is still a nightly.

Diegote

I have seen that zooming out, generates a rare graphic effect in old_taxiway, similar to what happens in the HQ level 1.

Václav

It is not needed to add it to translator - simplier objects name could help much better when it is not part of official distribution and added into translator.

For example: extMrkLgt is object name where only its author knows what is meaning of that ?abbreviation. Better style of objects names is for example RunwayExtension_Lighting.

DirrrtyDirk

I repeat: it is a nightly - and of course it needs to be in translator.