News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Networking Simutrans discussion

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, January 01, 2010, 06:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

@James: due to rl restrictions no 'official' network testing is in progress. That will have to wait after the next release.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

Any server needs version 102.3 for savegame (or up) for client too!

jamespetts

As will be appreciated, running a local server and connecting to it on a local machine is not as rigorous a test as connecting to a server that is actually accross a network ;-) Nobody is running a test server somewhere...?

Has much testing actually across a network taken place?

Edit: Have only just seen Dwachs and Prissi's messages. So, the position is that network testing will recommence after the next stable release?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

Problems are desync. Running over the network has been done and is working fine. The longer a line is, the longer delay setting is needed to execute stuff, which needs to be passed to the server. But that is all.

jamespetts

How bad are these synchronisation problems?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Dwachs

Desynchronisation is as bad as losing the network connection at all. That is, the client has to connect to server again.

jamespetts

And how often does this desynchronisation occur at present? Are you optimistic that the issue will be resolved in due course to make the game playable over a network?

prissi

Desynchronisation means the core engines came out of sync. This happens when for instance the vehicles arriving at a crossroads in different order. It is checked every x frames (currently I think x=250) and if occured, it will kick the client out. Thus this needs to be addressed. However, core functionality needs to be present even before that. This is 95% done, with some stuff still pending for the player, pak detection and forestconf/cityconf decriptions.

jamespetts

Ahh, I see. I shall look forward to seeing how this progresses - excellent work so far :-)

Maragil

Sorry, not quite sure what's going on person entering chat here-

Is it usable over a Local Network?, i.e can both myself and someone else both build simultaneously on the same map from two different computers connected to a network?

Thanks,

H./

H./

VS

Actually, over local network it should be easier than over internet...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

TrainMith

prissi:  Perhaps if the networking latency gets to the point where it now kicks out the client, instead the server slows down the game speed until an acceptable level and if the latency gets larger then finally kicks the client.  Just a suggestion.

prissi

The clients speed is irrelevant. Longer latency just means you have to wait longer for clicks. Only if you latency is changing like crazy, desyncs may happen; but this may be treu for any netowrking game which needs synchronisation between all clients.

Dwachs

In my (small) experience, desynchronisation occurs if the server does not run continuously. Ie, if the cpu time of simutrans on the server varies heavily. Then at some point, the client runs ahead of the server. Then if the server sents a command to be executed at a certain step, this step may be already computed on the client -> client get kicked out. This cannot be foreseen by the client etc.

jamespetts

Dwachs,

in which case it may be sensible to ensure that the server is a fast machine and/or Simutrans is set to have a high processor priority on the server...

Maragil

Sorry- still confused here - what's the status of Simutrans over Local Networks?

H./

Dwachs

Sorry to say that, but you need to compile your own version first (the compiled nightlies do not work over network, but the source code is there). Or wait until a new version is released. Or more technically: if the savegame version is increased (which means not more than that savegames from such nightlies cannot be loaded from the previous stable releases anymore).

The basic infrastructure for networking is in the source code, but there are stills things needed to be sorted out.

Dwachs

Good news: you can test networkmode in recent nightlies. You do not have to compile yourself anymore, as the network version will use the increased savegame version automatically.

prissi

The next nightly (r3696) should have a relatively stable network modus. One of the unsolved problems is the clients sometimes very badly lagging behind. But there have been no crashes in 1h playing with haiku, windows serevr and windos client, and only one synchronisation was lost.

jamespetts

Glad to see progress with this! Multiplayer Simutrans should be very fun.

Xelofino

So i am a dummy. You are always writing from Commandline and client but i have no idea how i could make it working. Could someone write how he is doing it that he can play with himself on the same computer cause i didn't get it. sorry for being silly.

Xelofino

vilvoh

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Xelofino

Thank you very much!!!!!!
I searched in the international Blog and in the Forums but i didnt find it.